Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So frustrated with my binges! page

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member

So frustrated with my binges!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I did it again today.....I binged all day, first on fruits (this is after I had a nice big protein breakfast), a protein shake, then onto a protein bar, two bowls of vanilla ice cream and three chocolate chip waffles. Technically this binge started last night after dinner, with two Larabars, a whole Lindt chocolate bar (that's 2 and 1/2 servings), then strawberries and coconut milk, then an apple.

I mean seriously, WTF IS MY PROBLEM!?!?!? I know, I know I shouldn't do it. I should just not, not even one taste. I feel also like I have gained weight, I know I have gained inches because I took my measurements. I know I've gained from the binges. Eating a Primal diet high in fat AND binging is not going to get me where I want to be physically.

I'm just so frustrated. It seems that if I let myself give in and have something that I want, I go totally batshit crazy and eat everything in sight!!!! And if I don't give in and let myself have anything, I can make it about ten days and I eventually cave and go batshit crazy and eat everything in sight anyway.

SO FRUSTRATED!!!!!

Mikki is offline Junior Member
    Ugh, I'm sorry! I know JUST how you feel. I've struggled with bingeing for a long time, and still do. I often get these intense sugar cravings or for cereal like Pops or Rice Krispies with sugar sprinkled on them. And of course that has earned me an extra 30 lbs that I"m trying to lose. I've been working on being aware of what the real reason for my desire to eat at any given time is, and I'm seeing how a really small amount of those times is for actual hunger. I eat when I'm bored or listless, I eat when I'm nervous about something like money or an obligation, I eat when I've had a frustrating phone call with the insurance company, etc. I also eat late at night after the kids are in bed because I'm "treating" myself. And the best one, I eat when things with my husband are not all sunshine and roses, sort of a twisted deal where if he's mad at me, I go eat because I feel worthless or something. You get the point. I imagine that might sound familiar to you. I had a bit of a breakthrough about all that stuff in the last few weeks and did a lot of reading online about overeating. It's worth a look, even if you just find a couple things that apply to your life. I think I googled things like "reasons for overeating" and "how to stop overeating." One of the main themes that you'll see is the fact that an overeater feels like they have no control over their bingeing. I'm finding that if I stop and think when I have an impulse to eat.....constantly.....that I really don't need food right then - it's just a compulsion. So that has been helpful. Also, if I notice myself going through those thoughts of "I'll just have one of these" or "I'll treat myself," I try to remind myself that it's only going to do harm. And if that doesn't work.....I have a 1/2 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips and eat them slowly, letting each one melt in my mouth. That kind of extends the indulgence a bit with much less damage. I also read that the worst thing you can do after a binge is to beat yourself up - that only continues the cycle. I hope maybe some of this is helpful to you.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Yes, that sounds all too familiar. This is a hopeless cycle and I just want to get out of it. I don't want to overeat and binge. I just don't know how to stop.

ewiggy24 is offline Junior Member
    I had sugar cravings during my transition, but I am happy to say I rarely get them anymore, and I can enjoy the natural sweetness in the foods I eat.

It felt a lot like quitting cigarettes. When I started going primal, I still drank fruit juices for my sweetness. After a couple months I took fruit juice out, and every time I had a craving I would just tell myself it would pass and try to eat some fat, or one TASTY fruit (Mango, Pineapple. High in sugars, but, especially fresh pineapple, good for you.). Don't eat more then one serving of fruit.

Don't be near anything that can tempt you if you can. Like waffles or chocolate bars. Get them out of reach, don't put yourself in a situation where you will be able to get them. Don't go into the crappy corner stores that only sell junk and don't enter the processed aisles in a supermarket, especially if you are hungry, or have a craving. Try to always have some healthy food at home, so if you do get a craving you can bunker down and not go near any other food.

If people around you are eating junk and that starts your craving, or if there are doughnuts lying around, it is going to be tougher. Just buck up and say no. Don't look at it if it helps. Do something to occupy your time. Anything. Get into your work (assuming you are working, why else would you be forcibly around food like this?) or even a stupid puzzle game or a good book. Getting your mind off it is the best path once it starts. Think of the end goal being going to sleep without eating sweet. In the morning it will be easier (hopefully, if it isn't just start over, your body will get it eventually).

Good luck! You will feel great in no time when you succeed.

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
    Yes, that sounds all too familiar. This is a hopeless cycle and I just want to get out of it. I don't want to overeat and binge. I just don't know how to stop.
    I'm sorry you are going through this. Sometimes it isn't about "you should or shouldn't do this or that". Don't beat yourself up. Have you considered getting counselling? You may be binging due to an emotional issue that you just haven't dealt with yet. Good luck.
    : )

ShannonCC is offline Senior Member
    Aw crap, I'm sorry to hear you're having problems. I appreciated what you said on my thread the other day and wish I could give you real help other than "it sucks, I know". Hang in there?

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    This might not be the most popular advice, but primal might not be for you. I know it wasn't for me, as I had similar problems with binges. Here is an interview with the author of "overcoming binge eating" that is quite popular with people with the problem. He is a proponent of not giving up any foods because it will make you crave and binge on them. Here is an excerpt that is pertinent to your problem:

Member: I heard that dieting only makes binge eating worse because you try something new, fail, and then want to eat again to make yourself feel better. Is that true?

Fairburn: Your statement is partially true. For many people, dieting makes their binge eating worse, but not for the reason you say. The reason that this happens seems to be that dieting creates craving for the foods one is avoiding. This is the reason why people often binge on the very foods they are avoiding. In addition, if one is dieting very strictly, then there are physiological pressures that are making one binge.

Member: So, what should a binge eater do that is dieting? Just stop dieting and bring any type of food back into the house? I'm scared to stop "dieting" because I'm afraid I'll binge on those foods that I brought back into my life.

Fairburn: Your fears are understandable, and reasonable. It is difficult to do this. Again, I would recommend following one of the evidence-based self-help programs that explain how to do this step by step. You will find that they help you do this gradually in a systematic way, so that you don't become unstuck.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
    I did it again today.....I binged all day, first on fruits (this is after I had a nice big protein breakfast), a protein shake, then onto a protein bar, two bowls of vanilla ice cream and three chocolate chip waffles. Technically this binge started last night after dinner, with two Larabars, a whole Lindt chocolate bar (that's 2 and 1/2 servings), then strawberries and coconut milk, then an apple.

I mean seriously, WTF IS MY PROBLEM!?!?!? I know, I know I shouldn't do it. I should just not, not even one taste. I feel also like I have gained weight, I know I have gained inches because I took my measurements. I know I've gained from the binges. Eating a Primal diet high in fat AND binging is not going to get me where I want to be physically.

I'm just so frustrated. It seems that if I let myself give in and have something that I want, I go totally batshit crazy and eat everything in sight!!!! And if I don't give in and let myself have anything, I can make it about ten days and I eventually cave and go batshit crazy and eat everything in sight anyway.

SO FRUSTRATED!!!!!
    I binge too. There's a line I won't cross (wheat, for instance, never gets included), but if I give myself license to eat a sugary fruit sometimes, I'll end up eating 5 or 8 pieces.

My only advice (and many people will disagree) is to stop thinking of things you can have as forbidden. Once it's something that's "best enjoyed in moderation" instead of "shouldn't be had at all," in your mind, you might find that you can have that piece or two without going crazy "NOMMMMYGOD THIS IS SUPER AWESOME I ALREADY ATE ONE WHY NOT EAT 15 SINCE I WON"T BE ABLE TO HAVE IT AGAIN FOR 42 MONTHS"

Or maybe that's just me. Whatever.

Credodisi is offline Senior Member
    I have to sorta agree with Jimhenson. I started having problems with no energy after being primal for 8 months. Upped my carbs and started IFing.. Loved it initially and then had crazy binges. And the weight started creeping up.

Since then I've adjusted my perspective on primal. Nothing is off limits. While the core of my diet is primal based on meat, fish, vegetables and some fruit... I don't completely avoid all grains. I mostly stay away from wheat... But I'll eat rice, and corn on the cob sometimes. Ice cream. I don't seem to have trouble now with binges and I feel better than I did before. I've also started losing weight again..

Good luck to you

Heth is offline Member
    I have frustrations with binging too although I am still losing weight slowly because I find that my hunger is just not consistent - I'll eat 1-2 small meals a day for a couple of weeks then have a few big eating binge days, catching up my calorie intake. I usually binge on nuts or sometimes dates, which brings up my carb intake heaps unfortunately. Although others have different points of view, I find keeping nuts out of the house works. It is hard for me to moderate them if they are there at all. I was actually buying them for my son because he's vegetarian (at 4!) but I ended up eating a lot of them. I have also personally found that there are foods that I can eat lots of without gaining weight so when I am in a binging phase I try to keep a heap of these foods cooked or ready to eat big of, like I'll have a heap of cucumbers and carrots cut up and pumpkin cooked in the fridge (if it makes it that far!) and that sustains my hunger when I am very hungry. This is on top of meat, fish and eggs of course, so that most calories are still coming from good fats and proteins. I ate a whole kg (2.2lb) of pumpkin in a day the other day! And because it's mostly water I didn't gain weight, and because it's so low calories it didn't increase my carb intake too much. A smaller amount of cooked beetroot is also very satisfying (grated and sauteed in a little water and mustard is delish).

I really understand how frustrating it is.... I hope you can figure out a solution.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast