Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So frustrated with my binges! page 3

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    My cravings have vanished since I've kept carbs under 50 grams a day. I never want sugar or anything bread-y and I make good looking meals for DH who can't understand how anyone would even want to live if they couldn't eat snickers and whoppers. (I tell him he better live big while he's able.)

Keep macadamia nuts, about 10, in little bitty baggies, make deviled eggs (Nordic ware egg boiler from amazon, 10 bucks, egg shell practically falls off in your hands), organic strawberries and heavy cream, mash up and freeze for a few minutes, really good, olives and cheddar cheese make a great snack, always be thinking ahead and know what fabulous piece of meat you'll be grilling soon and stay busy doing something other than food related. I've found trying on clothes I'm now barely able to wear is a great way to keep my mind off graham crackers and peanut butter which I miss but don't crave anymore.

If you can go just a few days without eating anything bad for you, you will be shocked at how it leaves your mind. And exercise, makes a world of difference..

o6450rider is offline Junior Member
    I have had a hard time with binges myself. One thing I have found to help me out is if I have a craving for something I have a rule that if I am going to binge it can't be on something that is grab and go. I have found there are a lot of things that I can make that'll fit into the primal diet. It takes some research and some looking into to find a recipe that'll work but doing the foot work helps take my mind off the cravings. A side benefit is while i'm doing the research I have found that half of the time my mind gets so side tracked trying to fin a recipe to replace say waffles that the craving goes away before I get close to starting it. There are a lot of good recipes that are primal and tast great and work better for binge food then actual binge food. If I do get around to making something i'll make two or so extra servings for a few days later but never make too much, that way I am forced to do the research and hopefully get side tracked again and make the cravings go away. It has been so effective that two days a week at work they bring in doughnuts and they sit about 15 feet away from my desk. It makes me stare at a pink box for 10 hours straight and I don't get the cravings from it. Hop this helps!
    Life passes up fast, remember the past but embrace the present like there's no tomorrow.

ewiggy24 is offline Junior Member
    I see a lot of "everyone has binges" and I flat out disagree. I can see people eating doughnuts or an Oh henry! bar and it tempts me not at all. You just have to associate the feeling you get from eating them to the foods themselves, and you can quite literally disgust yourself. If you ever read the book, The easy way to quit smoking, he does the same thing with cigarettes and it is a miracle worker.

Of course I get hungry a lot, and sometimes I have a hankering for something sweet, but something sweet for me is a piece of fruit. Just one. Do you really think it is natural for us to want things that aren't good for us?

I normally order coffee with four cream and zero sugar. One time they gave me sugar and I literally spat the coffee out. Right now my body HATES over sweet foods. Even sucralose disgusts me. I had to throw out an entire kilo of protein powder after I found that out.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Stick to it, and it will go away. The more you say "no", the easier it becomes. It takes months, rather than days. One more trick that works is delaying the treat eating, by either eating something good for you but not associated with pleasure before hand (a can of tuna, a tbsp of coconut oil, whatever else that you know is good, but not exactly exciting) or setting a 'cool down' time before eating a treat (I will eat it. Later. If I still want to.)

Or, the binges start on normal foods like fruit, and then progress and get worse and worse.
    Yep, that is my case too. Unfortunately, only curable by removing fruit from diet and supplementation with 5 HTP. It did took about a months for 5 HTP to calm my serotonine. I tried serotonine diet (basically a tbsp of honey between 2 and 3 pm) and it worked well for me, but I broke out like crazy (my skin and fructose are not friends). So, 5 HTP it is. There is a limit of sweetness that do not trigger sugar binge for me. I can have a carrot, but not a strawberry. I can have lemons. Can't have grapefruits. Cranberries are borderline. Rhubarb Okay. Stevia sweetened quark or Greek yogurt with lemon juice and cocoa powder is Okay too.
    Last edited by Leida; 06-14-2012 at 06:14 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

shaneburgess is offline Junior Member
    This sounds so familiar to me. I attempted to start my first day yesterday and it all went to crap around lunch. So I guess that means, I got one decent meal in. This morning I had some bread for no good reason. Besides the psychological issue that needs to be fixed, I think the best way to handle it is to be prepared. I didn't have breakfast ready to go this morning and I brought a small lunch yesterday and was really hungry after I ate it. My goal is to set myself up to win and that should curb my cheating.

kml
    kml is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamC29 View Post
    Everybody has binges, whoever tells you that they don't is lying. Everything around us tells us to binge unfortunately and our brain sometimes cannot resist.

When you accept this you can then make sure you can control them (in my experience). I guess that is what the 20% is for.

I try to structure any binges after a tough workout and I am still losing weight/fat. I am also trying to recreate my favourite foods in a more healthy manner which also seems to help (i.e. lettuce wraps fajitas) curb any temptation.

Sometimes you just want the real thing though so don't beat yourself up over it. Just try to eat a little better the rest of the week and exercise a bit harder. This is a lifestyle and not a diet!
    How can one possibly structure a binge? Binge - for me this means eating without any control applied. If you are able to plan your overeating, like buying specific food for it or even plan the timing of this, you are clearly in control.
    I do not think that everybodes binges - as you said before it is a lifestyle and not a diet. Hence letting go once in a while, applying the 20% does not mean binging it just means that one is not obsessive about food all the time

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    maybe you aren't eating enough or eating properly in the first place. maybe low carb primal/paleo isn't for you. maybe fruit and starchy veggies and things like sweet potatoes should be part of your daily diet. maybe you just shouldn't buy all of that shit (waffles/ice cream/etc) in the first place. maybe you should call it a re-feed day and move on. i think there are a lot of factors at play here.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Create some structure and safety in your house- get all the non Primal out first. Then consider some kind of eating schedule- yeah I think Fast 5 is possible even if you are a binge eater. You could also consider eating Warrior Diet style- eating small amounts of fruit and cheese during the day then a meal at night.
    Also consider slightly modifying your food list- I think nutritional imbalances/deficiencies drive the binge cycle. More info:
    Ray Peat Eating Guidelines : Semi Low-Carb Plans Forum : Active Low-Carber Forums

I just added milk back after not drinking it for 20 years- really works, is very calming. Yogurt and kefir caused weight gain but for whatever reason cheese and milk don't. You might be deficient in calcium.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyCr View Post
    My cravings have vanished since I've kept carbs under 50 grams a day. I never want sugar or anything bread-y and I make good looking meals for DH who can't understand how anyone would even want to live if they couldn't eat snickers and whoppers. (I tell him he better live big while he's able.)
    This worked for me but I can't say I was the kind of binge eater that went on a rampage. I was just someone who had a sweet breakfast, then 2 hours later went for a big pastry, then 2 hours later some candy, then maybe more candy, then maybe dessert after dinner...It never amounted to much but it was hard to eat only real food, I didn't feel good on just real food. I "needed" the sugar. The low carb high fat obliterated that need entirely like a miracle. Not for everyone but it worked for me.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I ate low carb for a decade, didn't binge but got progressively more and more unhealthy. No longer believe restricting carbs is the ticket but have gone back to a "sweet spot" Zone perspective- at least 100 gram a day though I don't count. Eating 70-100 grams of good quality protein and a lot of fat is what I focus on mostly and what has never not worked. The only carbs to avoid are grains.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast