Thread: Recent cholesterol test results page

SoCalMike is offline Junior Member

Recent cholesterol test results

Shop Now
    Hi all,

I just got back the results of my recent lipid panel and my cholesterol isn't looking very good. Total cholesterol is 265 (they recommend <200) and LDL is 180 (they recommend <100).
    lipid.jpg

The day before my blood test, I got back from a gluttonous vacation (my honeymoon, actually) where I ate whatever I wanted for two weeks, including lots of carbs. Normally, I watch my carb count and try to eat Primally.

Does anyone know if the food I pigged out on during my vacation influenced the lipid panel results? In other words, does the cholesterol test get biased by foods I have eaten more recently?

I'm a 36 year old male, healthy weight.

Mike

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Those are normal numbers. Who is saying they aren't good? And what's your HDL?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    SoCalMike, please read through the first two posts in Griff's cholesterol primer. I promise it will be worth your while.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 06-13-2012 at 05:25 PM.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Griff believed that he was healthy at a fat 300 pounds because he didn't eat carbs. Why trust his cholesterol advice?

SoCalMike is offline Junior Member
    Magicmerl, thanks - I will read through that thread.
    Knifegill - my HDL is 57. In years past, it used to be lower than the 40 threshold. Now it's in the "good" range (as interpreted by the lab company)

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    @Jim: Real classy. Why don't you debate the contents of his primer, rather than attack the messenger?

@Mike: Your ratios (TOT/HDL and LDL/HDL) both fall into the healthy range. Nothing to worry about.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 06-13-2012 at 05:46 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalMike View Post
    Hi all,

I just got back the results of my recent lipid panel and my cholesterol isn't looking very good. Total cholesterol is 265 (they recommend <200) and LDL is 180 (they recommend <100).
    lipid.jpg

The day before my blood test, I got back from a gluttonous vacation (my honeymoon, actually) where I ate whatever I wanted for two weeks, including lots of carbs. Normally, I watch my carb count and try to eat Primally.

Does anyone know if the food I pigged out on during my vacation influenced the lipid panel results? In other words, does the cholesterol test get biased by foods I have eaten more recently?

I'm a 36 year old male, healthy weight.

Mike

Concept #8 Why is it necessary to measure LDL-P, instead of just LDL-C

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member