Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: returning to the "motherland" page

Chairdr is offline Senior Member

Question returning to the "motherland"

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So I consider myself primal (even though I have not logged on in a very long time) "Former Fatty" lost 100lbs. and maintained it over the past 2 years plus by not knowingly eating any grains (including Legumes). I guess my 80/20 is my cheese & tree nut addiction. Well my point is that I am going to Israel for a 10 day family trip. I can find Primal food anywhere, so thats not my problem. I was there when I was 18 (1983) & I still remember the street Falafel (deep fried chickpea balls on pita with yogurt) & I am not sure I can resist. I can skip the pita no problem (I think). What should I do? Should I go for it, or show serious determination and not break my grain free streak? feel free to weigh in with any words of wisdom. Keeping in mind I havent even had a peanut tasting product in 27 months (but whos counting)
    "Don't dream it, be it"

-Dr. Frank-N-Furter

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Eat it. This is not a prison sentence.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

HopelessDreamer is offline Senior Member
    there are so many better things to eat than bread and fried chickpeas!! have lamb shwarma, tons of veggies, olives, and all kinds of cheeses! meat is expensive in Israel, but poor health is a lowsy souvenir! also, if you have a bad reaction to something, think of how that will affect your trip. there are plenty of delicious things to eat that wont do as much damage as grains and PUFA's. Food is a big part of any vacation, but it should still be chosen carefully so you can feel your best to enjoy those 10 days! (and lucky you!)

Ann1217 is offline Senior Member
    I lived in Israel for six months (about a year and a half ago) and, honestly, I wouldn't break my streak for any of the food there. BTW I went off primal after a while for FOMA and I gained like ten pounds despite walking everywhere. NOT WORTH IT. Sure, shawarma and falafel and hummus are tasty, but not that tasty. Nothing to write home about. Usually, I think when people travel (as long as they don't have any serious health problems or celiac or anything) that dietary restrictions should go out the window, but I don't think Israel fits the bill. France? Spain? Italy? Hell yes. But skip the pita and rugelah. Not worth it. And hummus just sits in your stomach like a rock!

Plus, I think primal food is pretty easy to find there. Instead of shawarma, get some heart kebabs or something. Usually, places will sell platters if you want to sub for a pita wrap.

Enjoy the homeland!

Fomo*

I guess I should load up on Bacon before I leave
    "Don't dream it, be it"

-Dr. Frank-N-Furter

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    You're not going to gain back 100 lb on a 10 day trip to Israel no matter how much hummous and pita you eat. At most, 65 lb.

So enjoy yourself and don't inconvenience those traveling with you. Create some positive lasting memories. You'll be itching to get back to steak and sweet potatoes in no time.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

ewiggy24 is offline Junior Member
    Shawarma. I am pretty sure You can get a plate of it at half of the falafel places, and damn it tastes good. Grab some of the fresher looking salads on the side and you are good to go. Probably the thing I miss most from Israel.

Good point, it is only 10 days, so let loose. If you're in Neve Tzekek (outside Tel Aviv) go to a place called Neve Tzedek A Place For Meat. Weird name, but maybe the best steak I have ever had! Get the porterhouse.

Seems like a split descission. The only point made that wasn't fueled by opinion was what will my stomach do re intrducing some grains. My trainer (paleo/primal) said he had some pizza a few months ago and it trashed his digestive system.
    I do like the let her rip theory, I guess it will come down to a spur of the moment choice. thanks all
    "Don't dream it, be it"

-Dr. Frank-N-Furter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast