Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's not you, it's me... page

GeorgiaPeach is offline Senior Member

It's not you, it's me...

Primal Fuel
    I'm feeling disappointed with eating primally, and some days I want to quit, days like my 3 yo's birthday part where I can't eat cake and ice cream to celebrate with him.

I've been auto-immune protocol primal for 3 months. I got tested for food intolerances and almost every grain was on my no list. Here's what happened after going primal:

Lost 16 pounds (I needed that weight... now I'm almost under weight)
    PMS symptoms like acne started up
    Hot flashes and sweaty a lot
    Need deoderant now when I never did before
    Skin issues like psoriasis haven't gone away
    And I feel pretty agressive or short tempered more often (like when I was pregnant)

BUT the other variable is I weaned my son after he nursed for 14 months. I've never been through a post-nursing hormone change... Could that be what's up? If so, when will I balance?

I want to see some improvements. What can I do?
    Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    "Celebrating" has become intertwined with eating sugar filled crap? Not eating cake = not celebrating?

And regarding your other problems, I can't imagine improving your diet is what's causing them.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    There is no reason you can't have cake and ice cream for your son's birthday if you want to have it, that is unless you absolutely just can't have it because of health reasons.

I'm not sure how long a post nursing hormone change can last. I'm in the process of weaning right now myself. I shudder to think the shape I'll be in when my first post partum period comes, lol!!! Have you started having periods again since stopping nursing?

mom5booklover is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeach View Post
    I'm feeling disappointed with eating primally, and some days I want to quit, days like my 3 yo's birthday part where I can't eat cake and ice cream to celebrate with him.

I've been auto-immune protocol primal for 3 months. I got tested for food intolerances and almost every grain was on my no list. Here's what happened after going primal:

Lost 16 pounds (I needed that weight... now I'm almost under weight)
    PMS symptoms like acne started up
    Hot flashes and sweaty a lot
    Need deoderant now when I never did before
    Skin issues like psoriasis haven't gone away
    And I feel pretty agressive or short tempered more often (like when I was pregnant)

BUT the other variable is I weaned my son after he nursed for 14 months. I've never been through a post-nursing hormone change... Could that be what's up? If so, when will I balance?

I want to see some improvements. What can I do?
    Most of these issues can be attributed to the weaning. I was more of a mess while weening than I was during any of my pregnancies. It should pass fairly soon. The psoariasis might be a Vit d deficiency if you don't supplement. It can also be a sulfer deficiency. Or if you haven't given up dairy then I would try it to see if your skin issues are helped. The changes in your hormones while weening are drastic. Just relax and try to take that into account. Make sure your significant other knows this so they can help you through it.

Quote Originally Posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
    There is no reason you can't have cake and ice cream for your son's birthday if you want to have it, that is unless you absolutely just can't have it because of health reasons.

I'm not sure how long a post nursing hormone change can last. I'm in the process of weaning right now myself. I shudder to think the shape I'll be in when my first post partum period comes, lol!!! Have you started having periods again since stopping nursing?
    Gluten is a huuuge no, no. And I can't have casin or whey.

I usually start my period 3 months post partum. I'm not one of the lucky who start their period a year or more postpartum.

And to a 3 year old who wants to share his cake with everyone, yeh, that's part of celebrating. It seems to be standard americal culture... SAC? Lol. We are working on transitioning to some other celebration goodies.

Quote Originally Posted by mom5booklover View Post
    Most of these issues can be attributed to the weaning. I was more of a mess while weening than I was during any of my pregnancies. It should pass fairly soon. The psoariasis might be a Vit d deficiency if you don't supplement. It can also be a sulfer deficiency. Or if you haven't given up dairy then I would try it to see if your skin issues are helped. The changes in your hormones while weening are drastic. Just relax and try to take that into account. Make sure your significant other knows this so they can help you through it.
    That seems to be the case for me as well... Or more like a revisit to all the things pregnancy aggrivated to begin with. How long is "soon?". And what happened to your breastS once your milk was gone? PS after 4 months of not nursing, I STILL have some milk left.
    Last edited by GeorgiaPeach; 06-13-2012 at 03:11 PM.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member

I usually start my period 3 months post partum. I'm not one of the lucky who start their period a year or more postpartum.

And to a 3 year old who wants to share his cake with everyone, yeh, that's part of celebrating. It seems to be standard americal culture... SAC? Lol. We are working on transitioning to some other celebration goodies.
    If gluten, casein and whey are off the menu because of allergies, then giving up on eating whole unprocessed foods is not going to change that.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member

If it makes you feel any better I never eat cake , and never did. Just never liked the stuff. And I'm glad your kids are trying to make you eat it cause mine are just happy there is more for them. BUT, my 2 year old is strictly gluten free, so he gets a banana, egg, nut, and coconut flour with honey cake....pretty damn good too. I'm an x-wrestler so I guess I'm just use to saying no to peoples food without giving a woop about what they think about it.

Either way I really hope you start to feel better soon...I would try to increase the amount you are consuming....put coconut oil on everything, add butter to anything, and don't be scurred of eating fruit. My gluten/casein free little boy gets: Egg pancakes for breakfast (2-4 eggs and 1-2 bananas and 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil), 1/2 pound beef with an apple for lunch, smoothie with berries, coconut milk, coconut oil, and banana as a snack, and another 1/2 pound beef with watermelon for dinner. That is a big day. Sometimes he'll only have 2 meals out of all of that though.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 06-13-2012 at 04:53 PM.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=GeorgiaPeach;865920]Gluten is a huuuge no, no. And I can't have casin or whey.

I usually start my period 3 months post partum. I'm not one of the lucky who start their period a year or more postpartum. [QUOTE]

It's funny because after my first two pregnancies ended, I had a period right away even while I was nursing. For some reason after this last pregnancy, I've had no period. I'm down to pumping once in the morning and once at night and I'm just waiting for it to hit me any time now, lol!!

I'm sorry you're disappointed with the diet. I think you should just give it more time. Like PP said, it's doubtful that changing your diet for the better is causing a negative effect in your body. My money is on the hormones.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    maybe you need to add in more carbs...primal-friendly ones...get yourself out of ketosis, (just my assumption as my body odor is more noticeable when I'm vlc).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast