Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where should the bulk of your calories come from? page

Gadsie is offline Senior Member

Where should the bulk of your calories come from?

Is it beef/lamb/fish? I know there is no "perfect diet" but I think we all agree that nuts or so shouldn't be the majority of your diet.
    For me, my bulk of calories comes from beef lamb and seafood, followed by dairy. I'm a little concerned on the dairy since there is quite some controversy around it. With all the (natural) hormones in it etc.
    well then

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    You know as well as I do that people are all over the map on this. I like animal fat and coconut fat for the majority of calories, but root starches are apparently safe, too. Go by your ancestry. What kinds of food did the majority of your ancestors eat, for the majority of the time? Start there. Then try things to see what your body likes and doesn't like. If I eat too much dairy, for example, I get huge boils on my face, fart like a factory, and can't poop for two weeks. So I only eat it once in awhile.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    High fat meat and sea food for sure, with a good chunk of that being from nutrient-rich offal. And secondarily a small amount of nuts. Take into consideration how hard it is to crack the shells of most nuts. Grok couldn't buy a bag full of pre-shelled almonds. And some fruit here and there throughout your day is fine. I like to think that your carb intake should reflect your body, metabolism, and weight goals.

For me at least, dairy causes bloating and acne so I avoid it. I assume unpasteurized natural milk would be better, but I haven't acquired any yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    You know as well as I do that people are all over the map on this. I like animal fat and coconut fat for the majority of calories, but root starches are apparently safe, too. Go by your ancestry. What kinds of food did the majority of your ancestors eat, for the majority of the time? Start there. Then try things to see what your body likes and doesn't like. If I eat too much dairy, for example, I get huge boils on my face, fart like a factory, and can't poop for two weeks. So I only eat it once in awhile.
    What do you mean by ancestors? Just my grandparents? They mainly ate bread. I feel perfect on bread. But I'm not going to eat it. I also feel great on subway and mcdonalds. A lot of people here know what they should and shouldn't eat by how their body reacts to it. But my body doesn't react to anything
    well then

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Nobody in the past thousand years. I mean you nationalities, your ancient heritage. Are you Northern European?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Timthetaco Guest
    Meat or plant starch. Most tribal societies these days seem to tend towards the starch, probably just on account of availability.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Nobody in the past thousand years. I mean you nationalities, your ancient heritage. Are you Northern European?
    Yup
    well then

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    hmmm I hardly look at where my calories come from. Probably more like never. I do track, faithfully daily, and I look at overall calories but I mostly look at the macro grams in each category to see if I am anywhere in the ballpark of where I want to be. And then sometimes at the end of the day, (and sometimes after I post a meal) I will look at my percentage pie chart just to see where I ended up.

I do want to get more in tune though, to see if one thing has more adverse affects than another. I had some things this week that I havent for a long time, and I felt okay and still had some weight loss. So while I can't have it often, I can have it as a 20% now and then.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I believe that it is suggested that the most calories come from meat, seafood, animals and the most volume comes from vegetables.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Right now, the majority of my calories come from starches, sugars, and fats: potatoes, sweet potatoes, sprouted brown rice, fruit, and coconut milk. I do get some eggs and meat in from time to time, but a higher-carbohydrate diet is working pretty well for me at the moment.

Nuts are okay in large caloric volumes, but they should be sprouted. Otherwise, you're going to have nutrient absorption issues and probably lots of digestive upsets.

Dairy should not compose a significant portion of your calories unless you're on a serious bulking program. Even then, it should only be raw and grass-fed.
    Last edited by tarek; 06-13-2012 at 04:18 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast