Thread: 4 grams agave syrup - is it significant? page

campanella is offline Senior Member

4 grams agave syrup - is it significant?

I found a tasty (and protein dense) yogurt option, which I generally have every other day, but it has 4 grams of agave syrup per serving. I know agave is awful. Is 4 g agave equivalent to more than a half tsp or so of white sugar?

jakey is offline Senior Member
    4 grams of agave is 4 grams of fructose. 16 calories; i.e. not much. it's your worst sweetener option, but that's a fairly trivial amount. why can't you find unsweetened yogurt, or yogurt sweetened with sugar or honey?

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I agree, not the end of the world, but why not buy plain, full-fat greek yogurt and then add whatever you want to it?
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    I have zero issues with a teaspoon or two of white sugar. Sugar in general doesn't really bug me as long as intakes are kept low on average and it's a non-toxic form of sugar (think coconut sugar, sucanat, molasses, maple syrup, honey or "cane juice"). However, I wouldn't put agave syrup into my body. Four ingredients that will instantly make me throw a product back on a shelf and out of my shopping cart are any PUFA oil, "wheat flour", "high fructose corn syrup" and "agave." The only agave product I will consume is tequila.

Will 4 grams hurt you? Probably not, but I wouldn't put that crap in my body. Especially considering you're making that product a dietary staple. 4 grams every other day is 730g a year, or over a pound and a half of the stuff annually. If it were even lowly white sugar I'd be okay with it but not that nasty agave crap. White sugar is completely nutritionless empty calories with a high glycemic index and glycemix load, but at least it's not toxic. That can't be said about agave.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 06-13-2012 at 01:36 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

campanella is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, that's good to know.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Agave COULD be a great sweetener, but the reason it isn't is because it's not manufactured the way you're led to believe. From what I remember, REAL agave nectar is the actual nectar of the agave plant, but most supermarket agave is a syrup made from extensive processing of the plant's starchy root.

There are a few raw-food "snacks" made with agave that I'll eat, but only once or twice a week at most. I'm sure there are many raw-food suppliers that seek out real agave to use in their products. Finding out will involve making calls to different companies.