Page 3 of 57 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: fat acceptance movement page 3

spacey47 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    i have nothing against fat people, i think some are pre disposed to putting on weight and some just eat too much and move too little.. or a combination of the 2....its their choice.

If it was so genetic why are there so many more people who are fat now than 10 or 20 years ago, there must be lots of people who are not genetically pre disposed to geting fat who just eat loads more than they should..

The only thing i would say is that they should pay higher Plane fares, i dont see why i should pay to subsidise the extra fuel cost of carryng them and then be charged if my luggage is too heavy

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spacey47 View Post

If it was so genetic why are there so many more people who are fat now than 10 or 20 years ago, there must be lots of people who are not genetically pre disposed to geting fat who just eat loads more than they should..
    Undoubtedly, there are some.

But that's also about the same time doctors started giving people truly awful food and exercise advice, processed "food" became dirt cheap (and thus fed to poor children), environmental toxins started spiking, and plenty of other factors.

You know what else is a combination of genetic factors with behavior? Cancer. Yet far fewer people mock cancer patients.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    It's crazy to me how recipes call for oil/butter instead of fat (some really old recipe books I got from my grandma say fat instead).

I love fat, and I think that more people should be accepting of the word.

And I think that our societal standard that call for women in particular to look half starved are screwed up.

Gay Panda is offline Senior Member
    This thread makes me a sad panda.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    And I think that our societal standard that call for women in particular to look half starved are screwed up.
    +1000

The prevelant body ideals are probably my least favorite part of this forum. (I don't really interact with pop culture enough to know what's popular these days.)

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I think that every human being has inherent dignity and value, and that a person should accept themselves *as they are in the moment* -- because that's the only place where real health can come from: self acceptance.

Once a person has that, they take care of themselves.

People will be different shapes and sizes. They will value some things higher than others (ie, eating the foods that they know, that are cultural, that are familial) and this may "negatively" affect their physical health/weight, but it might also make their mental/emotional health better, and who am I to judge how a person values -- or evaluates -- which is better?

In my profession, I deal with people who are each unique individuals. Some are thin. Some are fat. Most are average sized and perhaps about 5-20 lbs overweight (but "normal" for the culture, region, age, race, sex, etc). And they are all wonderful, grace-filled individuals who do good things for themselves by coming to yoga class (and a challenging, power-yoga class to boot). They have injuries, they are all ages. Some are tight, some are flexible, but everyone is different.

Thus, everything is modified to meet their unique needs, interests, and desires.

My job is to teach them about self acceptance. I do this in a variety of ways -- but the most effective way is to *accept them fully as they are, right now, in this moment.* Every single one of them is a special gift in my life, and I am thankful every day for that. It doesn't matter their race, sex, age, injuries or lack their of, athleticism or lack thereof, fat, thin or what. All that matters is that they are.

And I am thankful for that.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Having said that, it DOES make me angry to see people flaunting or embracing their obesity in such a way as to become a negative role model for others.
    I don't think she was flaunting her obesity- I think she was just accepting that it is what it is and letting herself get on with her life.

I realize being obese is not healthy- but there are a lot of unhealthy things that we don't shame people for. And there are a lot of obese people doing things you need a healthy body for. What's worse for your health?- carrying extra weight or living off slim fast and weight watchers meals?

I also don't think we can assume that woman who has given up on weightloss is going off on a sedentary McDonalds bender. She may well just be embracing a lifestyle of eating healthy foods and doing moderate exercise - the same thing we promote here. Why do we expect her to continue to diet, obsess, track and restrict, live at the gym when some of us here are at the same time critical of people here that watch calories, IF, eliminate lots of foods and take extreme measures?

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I get more annoyed by people flaunting their eating disorders than their obesity.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    landwhales, nice

so, dumbass or asshole. which is it?
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Over the next 90 minutes, I want to show you that all of your problems can be solved with my penis.

Gay Panda is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    landwhales, nice
    I stopped going outside entirely because I'm so sick of people seeing my ass and trying to harpoon me.

Page 3 of 57 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast