Page 22 of 57 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: fat acceptance movement page 22

Jiigigaw is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spacey47 View Post
    I dont have anything personally against the Obese per se

its just in my list of people i feel empathy for they come down pretty far on the list.

Overfed westerners who have more advantages than most of the worlds population, that are a drain on resources due to their often self inflicted lifestyle.

when i see some one grossly overweight in front of me in the supermarket , sweating buckets with red legs where they rub together
    witha trolly full of cakes, biscuits, crisps and sugar laden soft drinks it does make me feel a bit sick, when you know that there are people in this world who are starving

THe irony is, the person you are describing is likely starving due to lack of appropriate nutrition.

spacey47 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigigaw View Post
    THe irony is, the person you are describing is likely starving due to lack of appropriate nutrition.
    Sad more than ironic

Have a read of this

BBC News - Global weight gain more damaging than rising numbers

Jiigigaw is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen AlcesAlces View Post
    I think what I've learned most in this thread is that you can't force anyone to not judge or not have preconceived ideas of why someone is fat.

Someone will always be there saying "fat people are lazy", and someone else will counter with "many fat people workout very hard and try to eat right but are still fat ". OK. So both sides think their ideas trump the other, but really they don't. It's not all because of laziness, greed, apathy or ignorance. It's not all hormones, uninformed doctors or poor USDA guidelines. It's some combination of these things and more.

The bottom line to me is that I do not know everyone's story, and who am I to judge why someone is fat and if it is acceptable. This movement seems to be aiming for respectful treatment of fat people, regardless of the who, what, why they are fat. I'm good with that.

As I said before, there are studies that show criticism and shaming of obese people will NOT help them lose weight - in fact it is more likely to make things worse. If this movement does the exact opposite of shaming, perhaps it will give people more self-respect and desire to treat their bodies well, yes? Seems like a good idea to me. Perhaps you all disagree.
    You know, I was thinking about the "lazy" angle of this topic, and I think the largest issue is that people have different views of what is and is not lazy. Someone who has two jobs and is schooling will absolutely tell you they are not lazy. Now, if both those jobs are desk jobs, and they drive to school, then someone whom defines lazy as not being physical would declare that individual lazy.

They would be right if the assumption is that lazy is the same as low calorie burn. In such a situation, a lumberjack that puts in 30 hours a week would be less lazy than a programmer who works 60 hours. Until that is settled, the debate of lazy vs hard working will continue for a long time.

icz
    icz is offline Member
    Eh, there will always be haters. People who are happy and content don't waste time looking in other people's buggys at the grocery store and judging them.

It is also the prejudice model at work - if you think that fat people are lazy, overindulged, etc. then you notice things that support that belief. You notice the crisps and the soda, and not the overweight mom with four kids hanging of her cart picking up stuff for a stir fry.

I would ask the people who are so critical, what do your feelings really have to do about you, since the hate really isn't about people you don't even know. Other people are neutral - you don't know them, they are a canvas on which you are projecting. What it is about yourself you find so repugnant?
    Last edited by icz; 06-18-2012 at 06:27 AM.

No one said anyhting about hate did they?

there people go again making it ito a DRAMA!

its an observation and a reality in that obesity impacts on all of us financially ...well those who pay taxes anyhow, many of us
    emotionally
    There is really no need for the level of obesity in the Western World

30 years ago the levels were no where near what they are now, are you saying that in one generation people have EVOLVED
    to become obese? If so that makes primal look stupid if we still havent evolved to eat grains in 10-20 thousand years

These levels of Obesity have come about due to behavioural changes NOT genetic, hormonal or 'broken' metabolisms which seems to be the EXCUSE de jour on here

you can see the same things happening in the societies that have imported crappy western diets

Take most of the obese people in the West and ask them to live the lifestyle of people in countries where food is in short supply
    where its normal to walk 10 miles just to get some water, where you have to do hard physical work to get some food and you see how quickly they drop that weight they have been carrying

icz
    icz is offline Member
    I don't feel at all dramatic about it. . there have been overweight people for eons - Look at King Henry the 8th. Who cares. Live your life.

It does, actually, appear that we have evolved to become obese. Martians didn't make McDonalds - we did. We have created our reality.

I don't care if my neighbor is fat, or the woman at WalMart. I think Plato said, "Be kind - everyone is fighting a hard battle." We all have our issues. Yes, we have abundance in many ways, and no, we haven't evolved enough to learn to deal with it.

But all the misdirected anger at overweight people? One what is largely a diet board? That is peculiar.

Once again you mistake opinion for anger and overly dramatise everything as you are responding emotionally.

You ignore the facts and come up with all sorts of strange ideas as to how humans develop

I think the place you live is commonly known as cloud cuckoo land some of us live in reality and the reality is that the man made obesity epidemic
    Is wrecking havoc on the planet : financially, socially, environmentally and emotionally and none of it is necessary

it its widely predicted that we may soon see children dying before their parents because of it.....not a jolly future is it?

KimInGA is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spacey47 View Post
    Once again you mistake opinion for anger and overly dramatise everything as you are responding emotionally.

You ignore the facts and come up with all sorts of strange ideas as to how humans develop

I think the place you live is commonly known as cloud cuckoo land some of us live in reality and the reality is that the man made obesity epidemic
    Is wrecking havoc on the planet : financially, socially, environmentally and emotionally and none of it is necessary

it its widely predicted that we may soon see children dying before their parents because of it.....not a jolly future is it?
    Umm ... the only one who is "responding emotionally" (and being very rude in the process) is you. Calm down -- it sounds like you're one very, very angry individual. And maybe find a grammar-check.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KimInGA View Post
    Umm ... the only one who is "responding emotionally" (and being very rude in the process) is you. Calm down -- it sounds like you're one very, very angry individual. And maybe find a grammar-check.
    Oh come now, some asshole has found a soapbox and clearly isn't going to give it up. Responding as if they are an actual human being is absurd.

KimInGA is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthFriendly View Post
    Oh come now, some asshole has found a soapbox and clearly isn't going to give it up. Responding as if they are an actual human being is absurd.
    Ha ha, you're right. But I can't shake the mental image of me taking my 65-lb lab/shepherd mix for a walk, and she's just calmly plodding along ... and then someone walks by with one of those little 7-lb yipping furballs. The little dog always goes nuts, lunging and choking itself on the leash while yipping nonstop at a pitch that makes me wish Id brought earplugs. Its always funny to watch the owner try to calm it down, because it never works and they just end up looking dumb in the process trying to talk to their dog while it's practically foaming at the mouth. And then we walk by, all super calm, and I remind myself that this is why I own a big ol' heinz-57 mutt. Stressing out that much over nothing ain't good for ya!

Page 22 of 57 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast