Page 21 of 57 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: fat acceptance movement page 21

Gay Panda is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Scalding heat, dodging dogs, and walking in trash is part of your job, RitaRose? YUCK. I'm buying you a drink and we can have a bitch session.

Once I had to clean a six-foot stripe of diarrhea from a slide at a daycare from a kid who crapped himself at the top and rode his way to the bottom. Thanks, kid.

Bioletti is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    That's my money-making job. Correcting your spelling and general ignorance is my joy-making job.
    I know what you are, so what am I? I know what you are, so what am I? ...ad infinitum

C'mon kids, truce. It's beautiful weather out and I smell the meat grilling. You've exercised those fingertips enough for today. Time to do some sprinting.
    "After all we did for Britain, selling all that corduroy and making it swing, and all we got was a bit of tin on a piece of leather, an MBE." --George Harrison

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gay Panda View Post
    Scalding heat, dodging dogs, and walking in trash is part of your job, RitaRose? YUCK. I'm buying you a drink and we can have a bitch session.

Once I had to clean a six-foot stripe of diarrhea from a slide at a daycare from a kid who crapped himself at the top and rode his way to the bottom. Thanks, kid.
    I don't envy you! That's terrible!
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

spacey47 is offline Senior Member
    That's my money-making job. Correcting your spelling and general ignorance is my joy-making job.
    Glad YOUR LIFE is working out as you hoped and that I am YOUR source of joy

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    And what exactly should the grossly overweight person in front of you do about it? If they put all those cakes, biscuits, crisps, and sugar laden soft drinks back on the shelf and filled their carts with vegetables, pasture-raised grass-fed meat, and healthy fats suddenly the entire world would be well nourished, happy, healthy, and prosperous? Of course not. Millions of pounds of food are sent to impoverished nations, billions in aid money is spread around to the same nations, hell, the UN is even trying to tax western countries for climate change to give more money to those poorer nations (because apparently the emissions from the less than 10,000 miles I drive a year is causing African children to starve). And guess what, the countries are still impoverished, the people still starve, and this will continue because the political instability in the region, the warlords who horde the food, and the lack of means to elevate themselves out of poverty will continue. So next time you see some one in front of you that makes you feel a bit sick remember they can't do a goddamned thing about the issue any more than you can pushing your cart around filled with all those healthy foods.
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Jen AlcesAlces is offline Senior Member
    I think what I've learned most in this thread is that you can't force anyone to not judge or not have preconceived ideas of why someone is fat.

Someone will always be there saying "fat people are lazy", and someone else will counter with "many fat people workout very hard and try to eat right but are still fat ". OK. So both sides think their ideas trump the other, but really they don't. It's not all because of laziness, greed, apathy or ignorance. It's not all hormones, uninformed doctors or poor USDA guidelines. It's some combination of these things and more.

The bottom line to me is that I do not know everyone's story, and who am I to judge why someone is fat and if it is acceptable. This movement seems to be aiming for respectful treatment of fat people, regardless of the who, what, why they are fat. I'm good with that.

As I said before, there are studies that show criticism and shaming of obese people will NOT help them lose weight - in fact it is more likely to make things worse. If this movement does the exact opposite of shaming, perhaps it will give people more self-respect and desire to treat their bodies well, yes? Seems like a good idea to me. Perhaps you all disagree.
    Jen, former Midwesterner, living in the middle of nowhere.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    The obvious winner. By a landslide.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen AlcesAlces View Post
    I think what I've learned most in this thread is that you can't force anyone to not judge or not have preconceived ideas of why someone is fat.

Someone will always be there saying "fat people are lazy", and someone else will counter with "many fat people workout very hard and try to eat right but are still fat ". OK. So both sides think their ideas trump the other, but really they don't. It's not all because of laziness, greed, apathy or ignorance. It's not all hormones, uninformed doctors or poor USDA guidelines. It's some combination of these things and more.

The bottom line to me is that I do not know everyone's story, and who am I to judge why someone is fat and if it is acceptable. This movement seems to be aiming for respectful treatment of fat people, regardless of the who, what, why they are fat. I'm good with that.

As I said before, there are studies that show criticism and shaming of obese people will NOT help them lose weight - in fact it is more likely to make things worse. If this movement does the exact opposite of shaming, perhaps it will give people more self-respect and desire to treat their bodies well, yes? Seems like a good idea to me. Perhaps you all disagree.
    Awwwww! Jen! There's nothing like reasonable, calm, and rational though cogently expressed to quash a perfectly awesome train wreck thread. Spoilsport.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    don't worry, trainwrecks take forever to stop!
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Jen AlcesAlces is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Awwwww! Jen! There's nothing like reasonable, calm, and rational though cogently expressed to quash a perfectly awesome train wreck thread. Spoilsport.
    Sorry about that... Forget everything I wrote and replace it with: "you're the troll!!!"
    Jen, former Midwesterner, living in the middle of nowhere.

Page 21 of 57 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast