Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: fat acceptance movement page 2

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    but accepting yourself as overwieght just seems like giving up.
    I don't know- if you never failed multiple times at CW style weight loss you might not get it.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I think I might be actually better of if I could truly accept being fat. But I have been fighting against it since I was 12, and I dunno. I always had this fuzzy image that when I am 60, I would finally stop caring and eat white bread with butter & don't give a hoot that I have to wear a tent with an extra hole cut through it. But the older I become, the less likely... I just feel intensely unhappy when I look and feel fat. I mean, 'fat and ugly' day anyone? Brr.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Luce is offline Senior Member
    In a way there's mainstream information about what causes obesity that is wrong.
    I don't think people with weight problems eat too much, or are sloths or people who doesn't care: I'm convinced obese people eats too much of the wrong things and does not move around a lot because they are obese. I've seen people gaining weight effortlessly, just by being there breathing and bravely taking their medicines -i was one of them- and I believe nobody sharing western culture parameters gets fat because they want to get fat.
    People gets fat because they are misguided, or because they are poor and can't afford better nutrition and nutritional advice, or because their genetics don't really help them out, or more likely because of all of those reasons plus others. I've never seen anyone intentionally going under a force-feed marathon in order to become obese, but I've seen people desperately fighting insidious continuous weight gain during years, depriving themselves of nutrients and stressing out like mad.
    When I got back home in Argentina last year I couldn't find vegetables in the supermarket, fun uh? Twelve years ago half of the place was veggies and meat and fish, all fresh and good. Now 80% is junk and the rest is all about soaps and housecleaning stuff -and that wasn't a low income aimed supermarket, you really can't trust what you find in those.
    The thing is somethings are wrong, something is damaging people health and that's going on all around the world, people deserves to know they are not guilty of their condition, they need help and we can only hope CW will stand aside and let better information pass through and get to those who really need to know about how much better their quality of life would get if they just drink water and not soda, gatorade and juices (because that much less would make a huge difference) -starches are cheap, and filling; convincing people about leaving those is not really easy.
    Obese and overweight people fight battles everyday to be accepted, sometimes just to jump on a bus, and there's no way making their lives even more miserable will improve their chances of success with a diet or workout program, not if it's DrOz they're listening to (or Ornisch for what it's worth).
    No limits, only my will and the worlds I build.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    An article in which the author says she "stopped dieting" and accepted herself as fat at 18 rather than learning about nutrition & health:
    Jean Fain, L.I.C.S.W., M.S.W.: Fat Activist Lesley Kinzel on How to Stop Dieting and Start Loving Your Body

If nothing else, what I try to get people to walk away with is knowing that any decisions they make about their bodies and their health needs to come from a place of self-love, and not self- loathing.

It's all about "self love".
    What's your point? If you are being sarcastic and implying that being fat means you should hate yourself then well, basically you are are terrible person.
    Last edited by Apex Predator; 06-13-2012 at 01:40 PM. Reason: spelling

Legbiter is online now Senior Member
    I love fatty steaks so there's that. Landwhales, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Legbiter View Post
    I love fatty steaks so there's that. Landwhales, not so much.
    Charming.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I feel like people here are really critical of overweight people.... alot of criticism of excuses, an inability to lose weight. But a common theme I see here at the same time are people relieved to find something that works for them to lose weight. With the exception of the people here who came in at a healthy weight or underweight, we were all once fat, and some of us still are, and I assume we all likely saw failure after failure on CW. If your first go of weightloss was MDA you are LUCKY.

Is it healthy to be fat- NO. But is it healthy to keep failing CW style? No, and after diet after diet fails, it is a HUGE leap of faith to start eating the foods you thought made you fat in the first place.

I mean, fine, poke fun at land whales, but please don't assume they are lazy. I worked my ass off to be land whale size. Every second of realizing all the work was not working sucked. You feel hopeless.

For a lot of us, when you criticize the obese, realize that but for finding something that worked for you, you'd still be obese and maybe at some point you too would get tired of the self hate and assumption that you were sedentary and ate McDonalds. The sad fact- I was MORE active as a size 18 half marathoner and ate about the same number of calories, but yes, I looked like a land whale.

I dunno, my vanity kept me from giving up, but I can see how people just say fuck it and go live a normal life as a fat person. No one would chose to be fat if it was easy to lose weight.

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I feel like people here are really critical of overweight people.... alot of criticism of excuses, an inability to lose weight. But a common theme I see here at the same time are people relieved to find something that works for them to lose weight. With the exception of the people here who came in at a healthy weight or underweight, we were all once fat, and some of us still are, and I assume we all likely saw failure after failure on CW. If your first go of weightloss was MDA you are LUCKY.

Is it healthy to be fat- NO. But is it healthy to keep failing CW style? No, and after diet after diet fails, it is a HUGE leap of faith to start eating the foods you thought made you fat in the first place.

I mean, fine, poke fun at land whales, but please don't assume they are lazy. I worked my ass off to be land whale size. Every second of realizing all the work was not working sucked. You feel hopeless.

For a lot of us, when you criticize the obese, realize that but for finding something that worked for you, you'd still be obese and maybe at some point you too would get tired of the self hate and assumption that you were sedentary and ate McDonalds. The sad fact- I was MORE active as a size 18 half marathoner and ate about the same number of calories, but yes, I looked like a land whale.

I dunno, my vanity kept me from giving up, but I can see how people just say fuck it and go live a normal life as a fat person. No one would chose to be fat if it was easy to lose weight.
    People that mock others for being fat are either of particularly low intelligence/education or empathy(They simply don't know what it's like to have the genetic and/or life deck stack against them) , or simply displaying insecurity by attacking others they perceive as weak and socially vulnerable.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    See my landwhale before picture in my avatar? That picture was taken after a little 8 mile jaunt in the mountains up about 2700 feet of elevation and back down again. Something I could do at the drop of a hat without having to prep for it. Something I could do every day 3 or 4 times over if I wanted to (I know this because I've done it). Not everyone who is overweight is lazy.

P.S.
    Two girls, same mother and father, same meals made for them. Both run on the playground, climb trees, ride bikes, catch pollywogs in the creek. Should the one on the right hate herself for not looking like the one on the left? Is the one on the left more deserving of love and acceptance? Can the one on the right truly expect to ever diet herself down to the one on the left? Is it possible people come in different shapes and sizes?
    Last edited by sbhikes; 06-13-2012 at 02:39 PM.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

BlkSabbath74 is offline Member
    I think you can refuse to accept obesity without mocking someone for being fat.

If anything, I feel sorry for those who are overweight. I don't mock them.

Having said that, it DOES make me angry to see people flaunting or embracing their obesity in such a way as to become a negative role model for others.

I don't hate smokers either, but it doesn't mean I'm going to ignore the fact that its unhealthy.

Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast