Page 17 of 57 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: fat acceptance movement page 17

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    There are some studies that indicate 24-28% body fat would be healthy for most women, and that below that starts the processes that would put women at health risk (though we know that below 15% is really risky for women, the reality is that each woman is different, so some women will have a problem at 20%, and others might at 25% and others at 18% etc).

I'm still trying to dig up the study -- I read it about a year ago.
    My best is somewhere around 26%. Any lower than that and it doesn't feel right, not to mention being near to impossible to maintain even when things are perfect, which never happens.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    According to her dressmaker, she was between 36-23-37 and 36-24-37. She was 5 ft 5.5in and between 118-140 lbs. The best sizes for a model these days? 5 ft 9 in, 33-36 in bust; 22-26 in waist; 33-37 in hips.
    Crap. Now I have the theme song from the movie "How to Stuff A Wild Bikini" in my head.

"36, 22, 36, that's how you... stuff a wild bikini"

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Oh, and Choco, I'm 5'8", 155 lbs, at 20% fat. I think your idea of what an athletic woman can weigh and look good is pretty off.
    Eh. You can still be 5'6", 155 lbs, and at 20% fat. Just more muscle :3

Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Eh. You can still be 5'6", 155 lbs, and at 20% fat. Just more muscle :3
    Yup. It's going to be different for everyone. For me (also 5'6"), 155 is about 28%. Most of my muscle is in my legs, but I could use more everywhere else.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spacey47 View Post
    One thing I would say on the subject of PE i

The one thing I learned from
    That's two things.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I haven't read much of this thread, but... .
    That just about sums it up now, doesn't it?

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthFriendly View Post
    That just about sums it up now, doesn't it?
    look, some people just KNOW

they KNOW things

espn
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

spacey47 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthFriendly View Post
    That's two things.
    You need to get out more

nixxy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I don't normally agree with Chaco but I agree with this.

And I think he also explained something about the fat acceptance movement. The fat people out there are always on a diet. They are down-regulating their metabolisms. They may or may not lose some weight but once off the diet they gain it back and become the "chubbiest I've ever been." Over and over it goes with ever-increasing fatness. No wonder they want to give up.

The beauty of giving up on dieting and accepting your fat self is now you can look other people straight in the eye. People with that kind of confidence make more money and excel at more things. Confidence is good, if it is real. If that confidence is fake and full of identity politics, then it will ultimately fail. It remains to be seen which is which and ultimately, it's not my job to decide for someone else anyway.

If anything, giving up is why Primal worked for me. I pretty much gave up on the idea of ever losing weight. All I wanted was the appetite control so maybe I could feel normal like other people. It is quite a surrender to purchase bacon and butter in our culture, that is for sure. You really have to give up to do it.

As for Chaco's advice above, I'm finding it somewhat true for my own fat self. After the appetite control, I got some great results with Primal but it went only so far. Just like I gave up initially with Primal, I have given up again lately. Egads I sometimes eat a lot now. Oddly, I don't gain any weight, at least not so far. Instead, I started sprinting, which is something I've never tried. It just burst forth from inside of me one day. It was really quite cathartic and fun. It makes me eat more, but maybe, not quite sure yet, it might be making me look better. It wasn't something I did because I "should", I just one day started running fast and wanted to keep doing it.

And for RitaRose's point, I wanted to mention that the mail carrier lady that delivers my mail is really fat. And today I saw the meter reader lady and she's fat too, like I used to be. I initially lost weight hiking the Pacific Crest Trail but by the time I got to Washington, I was already gaining it back. I could totally see it in my face. I went from double-chin to straight jawline to double-chin again. Exercise, even a marathon every single day, doesn't really work. Dieting doesn't really work. If anything works, I think for some of us anyway, it's just giving up.
    I've been reading this thread since it started but haven't really said anything because I find it really hard to sum up my views. What I bolded above really helps though - by accepting you're fat, you can "move on" in some ways and try to advance yourself in other areas, where your weight shouldn't be a factor, despite still being fat. Obviously, no one should really resign themselves to be UNHEALTHY, if they are unhealthy, but being upset with yourself constantly impacts on more than your health, so I think that's why it's important to accept ourselves.

I have though about this a lot in respect to myself... I have been overweight/obese for 4 years, previous to that I was normal weight. I have sort of managed to trick myself into not believing I was fat this whole time, at least on the surface I acted that way, which has given me an aura of confidence. I think that really has had a huge impact on my life, in good and bad ways. Good things, I have had great jobs, great friends, done well academically, and generally been happy. Bad things... perhaps if I hadn't been successful, and believed I looked ok, I would've lost weight earlier?? I suppose I'll never know about that. But I do know, if I hadn't accepted myself in the mean time, over these last 4 years, I wouldn't have been so successful in my career and social life.

So, these people doing that, I think is a good idea in that respect. If it helps their self confidence enough to get them further in education or their careers then perhaps it'll improve their life enough to re-assess weight loss at a later date. But it depends how they "accept" being fat... if they accept bad health with it, that's not ideal.
    Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

Current PRs:
    Bench: 45kg/99lb
    Squat: 100kg/220lb
    Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

My blog
    My journal

icz
    icz is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I'm all for tolerance, and I'd never advocate tearing someone down simply because of their looks. Always judge someone by their character first. But it is not wrong to be a "weightist". It's both natural and healthy to do so.
    Kind of an elaborate justification for intolerance, this post.

Page 17 of 57 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast