Page 14 of 57 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: fat acceptance movement page 14

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I think health and perfect looking body are not equal. Women are not meant to be as lean as men. And "fashion"may not be mainstream, but in an ad, movie or show, when we are showed an image of what is to be taken as a beauty how often do you see:
    Stout, firm
    Athletic
    Fat

and how often do you see

Tall/lean
    Willowy
    very petite, thin
    curvy but very firm

The old reubenesque ideal is limited to the Dove beauty campaign.

Mostly, the biggest struggle is defining fat. Everyone has a different perception of "too fat". I feel like Fiercehunter would kill herself if she was my size, an MD wouldn't even mention it, a fashion designer would vomit, some guys would hit that, some women would be happy to be my size, some guys would puke....

Healthwise, I think I am healthier to be at this size eating well vs. a smaller size trying to tweak a diet into not getting enough nutrition.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I think health and perfect looking body are not equal. Women are not meant to be as lean as men. And "fashion"may not be mainstream, but in an ad, movie or show, when we are showed an image of what is to be taken as a beauty how often do you see:
    Stout, firm
    Athletic
    Fat

and how often do you see

Tall/lean
    Willowy
    very petite, thin
    curvy but very firm

Mostly, the biggest struggle is defining fat. Everyone has a different perception of "too fat". I feel like Fiercehunter would kill herself if she was my size, an MD wouldn't even mention it, a fashion designer would vomit, some guys would hit that, some women would be happy to be my size, some guys would puke....

Healthwise, I think I am healthier to be at this size eating well vs. a smaller size trying to tweak a diet into not getting enough nutrition.
    +1

Nah, +10000000
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

spacey47 is offline Senior Member
    s
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigigaw View Post
    There is not a single person of the half million that visit this site each month that meet what you are describing. I doubt very few that read teh "offending" article meet your description. I work for a large urban school district in what is commonly referred to a "food dessert" area. There are many parts of my town that you have to travel more than 5 miles to get fresh food that you describe. You are obviously very ignorant of the state of many parts of the world if you think that everyone has access to both the food, and the knowledge needed to prepare it. I witness kids who think the only vegetable is a carrot. I have witnessed children who didn't realise fries were made from potatoes. I'm not saying that there isn't some lack of effort here, but young children that lack role models are not to blame.

Yes, once they are adults, there is a certain level of responsibility, and I agree that there are many people that just need to make small steps and stop being ignorant of good health (rarely are they "lazy", you are just being an idiot with throwing that out). Unfortunately, they have huge hurdles to get through first. One being self esteem issues.

Again, those that read these blogs are not like the few people you seem inflammed about. You may want to take your trolling elsewhere.
    As soon as someone doesn't agree with idiots like you . You call them a troll... Weak minded nonsense I just disagree with you

In london possibly the most diverse city in the world, where there is EASY access to healthy and cheap foodstuffs people continue to make poor

Choices for what they eat, I see the same kids eating kfc, Mac D that are located next to super markets selling cheap healthy food

We have been bombarded in the uk with healthy eating, its in : schools, on tv, posters, leaflets, doctors surgeries

Remember Jamie Oliver healthy food for kids?

You would have had to been living in a fucking cave to have missed all this .....YET people don't learn or choose not to

Thats their choice of lifestyle...but I don't want to pay for it, they should tax unhealthy food like cigarettes and alcohol
    Last edited by spacey47; 06-15-2012 at 09:48 AM.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    ^ No not really, I've been big & even at the size I am now most people can't really compute it because I'm not really skinny, not really athletic, not tall & not big- I'm 1990s sized- normal for me and close to my set point. I hate the size debate with a passion, I really do, it gets on my last nerve and has made me less social in recent years. God bless America why can't people shut up about it. I don't know what my body fat % is, at this point don't care. Not gonna run, not gonna hop up and do a burpee, not gonna do intervals several days a week- other than doing basic primal I'm not gonna do anything suggested by the media/weight loss industry the rest of my life. I'm genuinely sorry for the large people and their movement but I want no part of it. You have a weight problem, that is your problem- you figure it out. Don't drag me in to it.

Jiigigaw is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Stout, firm
    Athletic
    Fat

and how often do you see

Tall/lean
    Willowy
    very petite, thin
    curvy but very firm

I have a lot of obese friends that are in the "I'm big and proud" camp, which is great. I was once there, but found I was unable to do the many things that I wanted to do.

I think that is key. If you are content/happy with being able to function at the health level you are, then super. If not, you need to take actions to correct them. My motivation was that I wanted to be able to play endlessly with my kids, but found that I could not. After 10-15 minutes, I'd need to collapse and take a break.

AS for beauty, health is beautiful. If you are thin, but have the tell-tale signs of mal nutrition, dry and cracked skin, etc, then you are not beautiful. Beauty is a holistic thing, not a weight thing.

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by spacey47 View Post
    they should tax unhealthy food like cigarettes and alcohol
    and then we come full circle into what is unhealthy food. I can tell you that in America our current First Lady on her anti-obesity campaign would label anything with saturated fat, high fat, possibly many proteins (beef etc) as unhealthy. Butter? Forget it. Heavy Cream? Unhealthy. Coconut oil? Oh, the horror.

but vegetable oil and soy burgers would be cheap.

Jiigigaw is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    I'm not gonna do anything suggested by the media/weight loss industry the rest of my life.
    Seems to me by avoiding everything suggested by the media/weight loss industry is going to control you just as much as doing everything. Not saying one way is more or less healthy than the other, just that media is still holding power over you if you disregard everything so blatantly. To each their own though.

Personally, I recommend being a chronic skeptic as opposed to a hater. Not everything the media portrays is awful or wrong. I feel a lot of it is, but only after careful consideration. I watch all sorts of eco documentaries, diet films, etc. I just take notes, check sources, compare, etc. To just toss it out BECAUSE it is media just means that you are limiting potential personal growth or value.

Your choice though. If you want to live in a shell of deliberate ignorance, you can. Free will and such.

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicator View Post
    We may, perhaps, never be rid of obesity as we may never be rid of congenital heart defects or cancer or what have you. To accept these things, though, is folly. Lean is a more optimal expression of the human phenotype than obese.

The problem with this 'movement' is the very same problem with all leftist movements. It begins innocently, with an emotional plee to increase acceptance and tolerance of a newly defined 'oppressed class'. News articles, scholarly discourses, a Netflix documentary, perhaps a TED talk...and the empathy button of politically active women is pushed and before you know it, the movement is hijacked entirely by power agendas.

The attempt to change your natural bias against obesity will be multi-faceted, as usual. There will be legislation to change your conduct, and educational attempts to tinker with your childrens' minds from a young age. Subtle messages in coloring books and children's TV shows. On women's talk shows, it will become taboo to applaud or congratulate someone for losing weight, as this 'might offend our large friends'. Airlines will no longer be permitted to charge extra for obese passengers. And so on.

The root problem is that, oftentimes, people don't have a very deep well of personal power to draw from. An infant, incapable of feeding itself or providing it's own needs in any way will do what it can do...cry and signal others to see to it's needs. 'Movements' for 'oppressed classes' consist mostly of people who cannot find it within themselves to accept or change themselves and so cry to society to do all of the accepting for them.
    Brilliant and well-written!

spacey47 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    and then we come full circle into what is unhealthy food. I can tell you that in America our current First Lady on her anti-obesity campaign would label anything with saturated fat, high fat, possibly many proteins (beef etc) as unhealthy. Butter? Forget it. Heavy Cream? Unhealthy. Coconut oil? Oh, the horror.

but vegetable oil and soy burgers would be cheap.
    How about anything with trans fats, corn fructose syrup,

canio6 Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by spacey47 View Post
    How about anything with trans fats, corn fructose syrup,
    Certainly. And while you and I may agree on what is unhealthy, my point was that the government is not always driven by common sense, fact, or knowledge.

Page 14 of 57 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast