Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Pharma assault on O3 page 2

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    welp, it started with o6 being a SUPER HEALTH FOOD THIS WILL CURE EVERYTHING

then o6 IS BAD DON'T EAT IT

now it's o3's turn
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    welp, it started with o6 being a SUPER HEALTH FOOD THIS WILL CURE EVERYTHING

then o6 IS BAD DON'T EAT IT

now it's o3's turn
    This is another reason why I don't do supplements. We have a long history of getting it wrong or over-hyping one particular vitamin or mineral as the savior of mankind. Just eat some good real food with a good variety, land and sea, and you're fine.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    This is another reason why I don't do supplements. We have a long history of getting it wrong or over-hyping one particular vitamin or mineral as the savior of mankind. Just eat some good real food with a good variety, land and sea, and you're fine.
    I agree with you 99.9%. But - you know, there are times and places and people who really could benefit from some additional help here and there, so I still pay attention to what is out there. I think that the more you move toward real health / real food the less you need this stuff, until you don't need it all. I know BTEMom (and I) have kids in special situations, I have dealt with depression, etc. I am grateful for the companies with high standards who sell honest products that help me/us along the way. If I hadn't found help in the nutritional world, I would have had little choice but to add more pharma to the mix (just from an out-of-love attempt to relieve suffering), and that would have been sad / bad.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    I agree with you 99.9%. But - you know, there are times and places and people who really could benefit from some additional help here and there, so I still pay attention to what is out there. I think that the more you move toward real health / real food the less you need this stuff, until you don't need it all.
    I totally agree. Supplements have their place when there is a real deficiency, say if someone is in Alaska for the winter, some D might be a good idea or if someone travels for work and doesn't have good food options perhaps a multi might help.

What bugs me is people self-diagnosing based on the latest guru's book and then mega dosing with the supplement of the month. Right now it is iodine. Yes, iodine is necessary and a deficiency is not good but extra iodine can be even more harmful. There are people on that iodine thread being told to take iodine based on vague symptoms such as "I feel tired" or "I have acne". Excess iodine will trash your thyroid.

This is more dangerous than just flushing some expensive pee.

It also strikes me as silly when people bemoan the fact that organic and grass fed cost more but are willing to shell out serious bucks for a shelf full of supplements.

JoeyA is offline Member
    I was reading something earlier about the idea that short term supplementation is good for rebalancing O6:O3, but that long term the increased oxidation from all the PUFA intake could be bad. The over-all percentage of PUFA in your diet just increases if your only attempt to balance the ratio is by adding MORE of a different kind of PUFA.

Trying to balance O6:O3 through the elimination of seed oils and eating grass fed animal fat makes the most sense to me. Focusing on natural food sources makes the most sense, but it's still a guess as to how much fish we should actually be eating. Does anyone have good information on the healthiest ratio of PUFA to Total Fat?

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post

What bugs me is people self-diagnosing based on the latest guru's book and then mega dosing with the supplement of the month. Right now it is iodine. Yes, iodine is necessary and a deficiency is not good but extra iodine can be even more harmful. There are people on that iodine thread being told to take iodine based on vague symptoms such as "I feel tired" or "I have acne". Excess iodine will trash your thyroid.
    i'm pretty new here and just started delving into that iodine thread. jiminy. yeah, the list of symptoms could apply to about a million other ailments. i bought some seaweed today, lol, but am too skeered to add much else. have enough other issues, but a seemingly healthy thyroid. want to keep it that way.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyA View Post
    I was reading something earlier about the idea that short term supplementation is good for rebalancing O6:O3, but that long term the increased oxidation from all the PUFA intake could be bad. The over-all percentage of PUFA in your diet just increases if your only attempt to balance the ratio is by adding MORE of a different kind of PUFA.

Trying to balance O6:O3 through the elimination of seed oils and eating grass fed animal fat makes the most sense to me. Focusing on natural food sources makes the most sense, but it's still a guess as to how much fish we should actually be eating. Does anyone have good information on the healthiest ratio of PUFA to Total Fat?
    Yes, I agree, natural sources are better than pills any day. I would recommend Dr. Kurt Harris' Archevore site for a complete breakdown of the O3/O6 issue. The takeaway is that it's better to bring excess O6 down than to try to make up for it by supplementing O3.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    i'm pretty new here and just started delving into that iodine thread. jiminy. yeah, the list of symptoms could apply to about a million other ailments. i bought some seaweed today, lol, but am too skeered to add much else. have enough other issues, but a seemingly healthy thyroid. want to keep it that way.
    Almost all of that list of ailments are also "symptoms" of being overweight and out of shape. Like "arms feel like lead after workouts".
    Dried seaweed is a wonderful addition to soups and the fresh stuff makes a great salad.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12