Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calories In / Calories Out page

brahnamin is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Hrm . . . So I think I have a fair grasp on the whole low carb/high fat ketosis fat burning thing. But Calories in/Calories out seems to work for people too (though it makes them miserable and their bodies try to strike a balance resulting in fatigue or increased calorie intake or both, etc)

What I am wondering, though, since I seem to be eating less now that I'm scarfing down loads of fat and consequently not being hungry all the time, is whether the weight loss is from ketosis (assuming I am indeed achieving it) or the reduced calories, or both?

Other than the initial glycogen/water dump when I first started, I don't seem to be losing weight any faster than I ever did on a reduced calorie diet (1-2 lbs a week). And for the record, I'm fine with that. By all accounts it seems the healthiest way to go.

I'm just wondering how the two work together (ketosis and calorie reduction) or if they even work together at all.

ATZ Guest

Ketosis does not equal less body fat, it just means you use more fat as a fuel, you end up burning more fat (dietary mainly) by default as you're consuming more.

Its the calorie deficit thats resulting in the fat loss, fat is just the storage media of choice for excess energy in the body, the fact you're in calorie deficit means your burning bodyfat to make up for the energy shortfall.

Hence why an isocalorific low carb and any other dietary permutation will yeild pretty much the same fat loss (weight loss may be different but fatloss will be a result of the deficit.)

ATZ Guest

BigBeck89 Guest

ATZ Guest

That Eades post is so far from well informed its untrue. I'm not even going to begin to try and argue against it as the science behind it is little to non-existent. For one he doesn't even go on to mention the influence of ASP on fat storage - he centres solely on insulin (short sighted), and he states calories don't matter but that you need a calorific deficit to lose weight!

An ad-lib low carb diet lets you lose weight as it is extremely hunger supressing hence you go on to eat less total calories. Its calories.

Big beck - if read around enough (especially on the tinterwebz) you can find enough information to support just about any claim, but without reviewing the validity of that data, posting it just makes you look as ill informed as its author.

Tarlach is offline Member

It's pretty sad how so many people in here still cling to calorie restriction as the only way, when so many PB eaters are discovering that you can eat all you feel like and still lose weight.

It's probably still due to a calorific deficit in the end. However, I prefer to lose weight whilst feeling full than trying to starve myself and try to stay active.

Ketosis uses dietary fat and body fat for fuel. If you keep you carbs low then your body can't retain all of the fatty acids inside your cells and uses them for fuel. The fat cycling also helps to burn energy.

ATZ - you keep disputing everyone who says that when they eat more fat they lose weight without watching calories. How many people saying this will it take to convince you it is possible?

Good on you brahnamin. Keep up the good work! I'm glad you were open minded enough to try this for yourself.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Conan Guest

I think the types of food that you eat can actually influence the metabolic pathways in your body so you can't simply look at calories. The food influences how many calories you actually burn each day which in turn influences how much food you can eat and still lose weight. Lots of people have increased calories and lost weight by changing the composition of their diets. Maybe this composition improved their metabolism and allowed them to burn even more calories. There is no simple answer to how all of this works.

@ATZ - I think that you are very knowledgeable regarding your opinions. However, I have to giggle when I read your posts. You're the like one homo-phobe at a gay pride rally, or the pro-lifer at a pro-choice convention. Why are you here?? I mean no disrespect, but do you just like discourse?

michelle Guest

I have to weigh in here again because this topic is just stuck in my craw...

low carbing is not magical. simply reducing your carbs is not going to magically make you lose weight. if that were true then everyone on a low carb diet no matter how much they ate would lose weight and obviously that is not true.

primaljewish, no offense to you, but i thought this was a forum to share ideas not a cult where everyone has to think the same way. ATZ never said low carb was bad, but the general mechanism of weight loss on low carbs is still calorie reduction. eades has said this, even mark himself has said this and in fact presents two calorie restricted weight loss diets in the PB book.

even tarlach, who so vehemently defended high calorie/high fat diet for weight loss in that other thread about what happens to the fat says in this thread "it's probably still due to calorie deficit in the end."

it is misleading to tell people they can eat all they want of primal/low carb foods and lose weight. that may work for you, indeed it may work for many if not most, but it absolutely does not work for everyone.

finally, i want to say that if this nutrition science were so obvious and cut and dry there would be no debate on it, but different things work for different people regarding weight loss. taubes said this in GCBC that his research is only a starting point for the studies that need to be undertaken.

michelle Guest

i also want to add that if you check out the whole health source blog posts about the kitavans, they are a hunter-gatherer society that eats 60% carb and lower fat and they too are thin with low faasting glucose, low insulin, no obesity and no chronic diseases. (http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...h/label/Kitava)

i'm inclined to agree with the author of that blog that there are a wide variety of things one can eat for optimal health as long as you don't consume sugar, processed foods, grain, HFCS, transfats, frankenfoods, etc.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast