Thread: 2012 blood work results – 1st full year of Primal page

JVib is offline Senior Member

2012 blood work results – 1st full year of Primal

Primal Fuel
    2012 was my first full year of living the primal lifestyle. I am doing very well on the plan. My body fat is between 8-9%, I am feeling physically/mentally/emotionally great, my lifelong depression problem has gone away, and I am enjoying life more than ever.

I had my yearly physical on June 11th and my Dr. called to give me my results. I put the information for the last 3 years into the chart below. In 2010 I was not following a primal plan, but my lifestyle was extremely healthy by conventional wisdom standards. In 2011 I was starting primal living, but was struggling with full commitment. I was on board and then back to my standard eating off and on throughout the year (including several 3-6 week sugar binges). 2012 was a great year! I only had one bad sugar binge for the entire year. My depression issue (which was caused by over consumption of process sugar) has gone completely away. So, here are my numbers for the last 3 years:
    112/76 Blood Pressure 130/85 - 100/65 = Normal
    317 Total Cholesterol Below 200 = Good
    94 HDL 60+ = Ideal
    214 LDL 100-129 = Good
    43 Trigs Below 150 = Good
    96 Blood Sugar (fasted) 70- 100 = Normal
    0.46 Trigs/HDL <2 = Ideal
    3.37 Total/HDL <5 = Ideal
    2.28 LDL/HDL <4.3 = Ideal
    1:1.32 LDL < 3xHDL = Good Ratio

110/72 Blood Pressure
    281 Total Cholesterol
    69 HDL
    199 LDL
    64 Trigs
    75 Blood Sugar (fasted)
    0.93 Trigs/HDL
    4.07 Total/HDL
    2.88 LDL/HDL
    1:1.04 LDL < 3xHDL = Good

114/78 Blood Pressure
    171 Total Cholesterol
    60 HDL
    104 LDL
    35 Trigs
    95 Blood Sugar (fasted)
    0.58 Trigs/HDL
    2.85 Total/HDL
    1.73 LDL/HDL
    1:1.73 LDL < 3xHDL = Good

The positives first: My HDL went WAY up, my Trigs/HDL number went down & my overall numbers were better than 2011.
    The issues: Many of my numbers from 2010 were “better” than 2012.

Don’t get me wrong…this doesn’t change anything. I am feeling so good following this lifestyle that I am not going back. I guess I’m just looking for some input as to why my 2010 numbers appear to be better than my 2012.

Also, on a side note, I officially got my “Statins lecture” from my doctor. He told me I “won the prize for highest overall cholesterol this month” and that he has to recommend a prescription for statins. However, he followed this by saying “I know you probably won’t take any medications and you are obviously in superb health. But I had to put it out there.” I told him not to bother writing a prescription. He then told me to keep up the good work. I’m glad to see my Dr. has some common sense.
    "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need." ~ Vernon Howard

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JVib View Post
    The issues: Many of my numbers from 2010 were “better” than 2012.

Don’t get me wrong…this doesn’t change anything. I am feeling so good following this lifestyle that I am not going back. I guess I’m just looking for some input as to why my 2010 numbers appear to be better than my 2012.

Also, on a side note, I officially got my “Statins lecture” from my doctor. He told me I “won the prize for highest overall cholesterol this month” and that he has to recommend a prescription for statins. However, he followed this by saying “I know you probably won’t take any medications and you are obviously in superb health. But I had to put it out there.” I told him not to bother writing a prescription. He then told me to keep up the good work. I’m glad to see my Dr. has some common sense.
    Your ratios are phenomenal, and that's what matters.

From what I understand, CW still ties high total cholesterol to heart disease, and it also has seeming random max numbers, so heaven help you if you go outside those numbers. My previous doc expressed concern last year with my cholesterol numbers -- which were very close to yours. The doc's office even told me that **my HDL was too high.** Um. Wow. (My HDL was 121. Yeah, crazy high. But being told that it's too high? Really?) And the doc's office mentioned statins. And that's when I changed doctors.

Cholesterol is vital. It looks like yours is doing exactly what it's supposed to be doing. As your (very smart) doctor said, keep up the good work!

JVib is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    The doc's office even told me that **my HDL was too high.** Um. Wow. (My HDL was 121. Yeah, crazy high. But being told that it's too high? Really?)
    Did you do anything specifict to get your HDL above 100? I was hoping to be over 100 this year.
    "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need." ~ Vernon Howard

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JVib View Post
    Did you do anything specifict to get your HDL above 100? I was hoping to be over 100 this year.
    I think I'm just lucky genetically. Ironically, both of my parents are on statins for high cholesterol. I've been talking to my mother about alternatives, and she's very interested in learning more. (Fingers crossed.)

At the time, I was following TPB and exercising regularly; my play was (and still is) taekwondo three times each week. But I think the only thing the exercise contributed to was, at that time, a resting pulse of about 57. (It was sort of crazy. The nurse checked my pulse a second time to make sure she had the number correct.)

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    My total cholesterol is also in the low 300s now after eating Primal for the past few years. That's in the range that indicated possible underlying pathology as pklopp stated in this thread: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post862713

I'd get a full thyroid panel and maybe screen for familial hypercholesterolemia just to be on the safe side.