Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Organic Gardening page

GaGrokie is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Does anyone have experience with organic vegetable gardening? There is a lack of organic veggies where I live and I get strange looks from some people who have never heard of organic. So I thought I would just grow my own greens and primal veggies. With 100 acres out my back door why not.

Siena Guest

I do it every year. In New York City. I like this book: http://www.amazon.com/New-Organic-Gr...8846029&sr=1-7

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

I will be doing it this year. So far, it looks like organic gardening is almost as easy but far more enjoyable as conventional way.

I picked up two great books from Amazon about organic gardening in northern climates and it's been really helpful.

chima_p is offline Senior Member

Yes, anything by Elliot Coleman is great.

He and his partner (wife?) had a TV special on PBS that was very good. I still have all the episodes on VHS somewhere haha!

aboutsaffron is offline Senior Member

Oh, it's easy! I grew up on organic veggies; didn't even realize it because my parents were just growing a garden on their six acres. The hard part is all the canning goodies!

Honestly, you can follow any book on gardening that's out there - just don't put any fertilizer on the plants!

And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
    Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

Siena Guest

Start a compost pile!

chima_p is offline Senior Member

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Experience with OG? Intensely so ca. 1972 when not a soul knew what OG was, and OG magazine was a little one.

There is huge amounts of info out there. Hit the library and the internets.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

I adore books by Eliot Coleman. What a neat guy! Grows fresh produce for restaurants 12 months a year in MAINE without supplemental heat!

He also put me onto the European-style scythe, which is a lot of fun and easy to use.

My favorite garden book, which has been the most useful and the most fun both, is "Gaia's Garden" by Toby Hemenway.

Highly recommended. So far if I do things his way, they work just fine.

Sharon Guest

I have gardened organically off and on over the years. Growing food is endlessly interesting. Always something new to try be it a new plant or method.

It is good to remember, just because something doesn't do well one year, doesn't mean it won't do well the next year. I remember my eggplants did poorly two years in a row, then the next year became the year of the eggplant. I had so many of them I even resorted to making eggplant cake. Was pretty good as I remember. I think I converted an applesauce cake recipe. All pre-primal you understand.

It is also recommended to start small unless you have lots of dependable willing hands.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast