Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Organic Gardening page 2

GaGrokie is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Thanks for all the great tips and advice. I will get those books that you mentioned. Eggplant was one of the things I was considering planting so I will let you know how it goes. I am planning on starting small. Maybe only about 7 or 8 different items and a patch about 12 x 12. We'll see how it goes.

kcurtain Guest

I'd recommend doing raised beds if you don't have them already. It's super easy to build up a great soil that way. I raise veggies in my backyard and it always amazes me when I pass by the local allotments how much work people seem to be doing. All that shoveling and hoeing. I'm way too lazy for all that! :-) Raised beds are much less work once you've got the up.

Just put down a ton of well-rotted manure and use lots of mulch (I use strulch, which is a type of straw mulch). I also highly recommend growing any greens under hoops topped with a light fleece or netting because that'll keep out the vast majority of pests. If you're just starting out, it can be helpful to buy seedlings, rather than seeds because some seeds can be finicky. There's lots of places you can order online.

Oh and have a look at square foot gardening. I use those basic principles for intensive gardening. Just be aware that many of the things you'll read are just based on anecdotal evidence and are mostly hogwash. Most companion planting advice, making manure tea, planting by the moon cycles - a waste of time. As for pests it's good to encourage ladybirds in your yard, but they're not going to eat all your aphids. Trust me! :-) Grow things under netting and you'll only have to worry about slugs. Much less work.

chima_p is offline Senior Member

12x12?

Then may I suggest Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew.

This one is very good as well but maybe better for next season:

How to Grow More Vegetables: Than You Ever Thought Possible on Less Land Than You Can Imagine

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

I have a ladybug-aphid saga ...

Sometimes good things come of benign neglect.

Always aphids on the roses, I'm organic. I'd pull them off, smash them with my bare hands, spray them off with the hose nozzle, sometimes squirt Safer's Insecticidal Soap on them. They'd be better, but they'd always be back.

Then one year at my old rental place, I planted a hops vine. It grew like mad! In fact, it grew so well I had to dig it out after the first year because it was up in the eaves and roof. And I delayed picking them after they were ready (just busy) and when I went to pick them they were full of aphids. :-(

New place, bought this time, I planted the roses, they had the aphids, I did the same things, business as usual. And I planted a hops vine, but picked them sooner. Then my knees went bad, and the garden barely got water in the summer, let alone anything else. Of course the roses were covered with aphids, I didn't kill a one. And the hops waited too long again. I went out to pick them, expecting aphids all over them .............

................................(are you ready for this?)

Not a single aphid, but I saw four ladybugs. And looking at the roses, no aphids there either.

For ladybugs, plant some alternate food sources for the rest of the season, which can keep them fed and their numbers high all year round. And don't kill the aphids before they can be eaten.

kcurtain Guest

I've got masses of ladybirds in my yard and they breed like crazy (lots of babies around - they look like aliens). I've also got massive amounts of aphids. A natural population isn't going to eat all of their prey; then they would go extinct! I wish I could say that encouraging ladybirds helps with aphids, but in my experience aphids are still a problem. :-(

Agatsu is offline Member

Chocolatechip6 - Fellow Cheesehead gardener here. Can you tell me the name of the books you mentioned?

Thanks!

Your goals, minus your doubts, equals your reality.
    - Ralph Marston

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

kcurtain! I agree that ladybug babies look like aliens. HAHAHA.

Another vote for square foot gardening. We have 2 raised beds (2 feet by 5 feet each) and grow lots of stuff relatively easily.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Oh and don't forget about berries!

Rasberries are pretty easy as are blackberries!

Sun warmed perfectly ripe blackberries are little flavour explosions!

Which reminds me I need to prune this weekend haha!

twinmama is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

So happy to find this thread... I just spent the afternoon pulling the weeds from my garden bed... the onions look like they are doing nicely... garlic too. My broccoli did ok, cabbage... not so good. We have mild winters so I just planted stuff and left it to see what would do well on it's own...

Thinking of converting the "bed" into raised boxes... will see how expensive that might be... perhaps one new box per year.

Here are some pictures of my Garden... back yard garden is FOOD, front it flowers. Very front not shown... it's a mess!

http://gardenprojects.shutterfly.com/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast