Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Journal Attempt #2 page 10

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Dunno how I managed to stay savory, but I did. Dairy galore, but no sweeteners.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

I am back from the dead, yay!

Since I screwed up with the dairy and regained the weight lost, I decided to start the Ultimate Diet this week. I carbed up and ate some non-primal sweets over the weekend to fully convince the body that we are not staving at all, and now am ready to go. I plan to stay on UD2.0 until I can look at my body in the mirror without sighing or 8 weeks, whichever comes first. I am not recording my weight until this coming Saturday, since the first week on the UD2.0 is adjustment. I am counting this as week 0. I plan to use ketosis with a low key workouts (non-performance seeking) after I reach the fat level I feel comfortable with to hold the weight.

The basic plan is 1,000 calories Mon through Friday with 100-120 g protein and under 10% or 30 g total carbs; potato carb up on Saturday, maybe banana and egg white for pre-workout breakfast, but the rest just boiled potatoes based on the potato fast experience from Otzi and folks; and Sunday - a day of fruit and all things wonderful: no counting, no calories, no macros, just good food, maybe 1 cheat if things go well.

I am gonna start using stevia to make jello for my weekend nights. Not ideal but better than aspartime Jell-O.
    Last edited by Leida; 10-15-2012 at 08:24 AM.

Among the minor annoyances, I am just about to start the period so I feel that one acutely in my stomach and my skin.
    Overall feeling today is definetly a Whale. Far past the Fat Cow. Light Years away from a Human, and nothing at all in common with the Ageless Goddess. On the positive note, I identified the post carb-up wardrobe. A size 8 huge pair of pants and a large lose light sweater. I look like I am 5 ot 6 months along my non-existent pg, but I feel comfortable.
    It may be TMI for a public blog, but my digestion was so primed up by all this good eating that I was in the bathroom like 3 times after the over-feeding on Sunday. That kind of corresponds to Tom Ferris description of the controlled binge. I have not experienced it before, so very curious.
    I have also resumed my daily reading of Susan Alber's "But I deserve this Chocolate" book. I might have already read this chapter the day things went haywire, but one can never read this particular one enough times. Authoritative NO is a great technique!
    Finally, the dentist wants to see me, so I can't drop by the gym tonight, but after two days lifting, it may not be a bad idea to do a walking day. Knees feel awkward too by whatever reason, so a stretch tonight is going happen no matter what, plus I will have to hoove it up the hill to grab the truck from home to make it to the dental. Should be Okay'ish, plus I would try to keep cals to 800.
    So far, I fasted till 11:30 am with no problems and got super-full after drinking broth with 2 poached eggs in it. I suppose I did not ruin my sugar balance over the weekend.With all the running around I might pull off the 800 cals today. I don't think I can do lower than that (cause the evening is coming, peeps!)

Ultimate Diet 2.0 Journal

Week 1
    Oct 15, 2012: W: NM; 835 cals, 30 g fat (32%), 23/11 g carbs (10%), 123 g protein; ~ 100 min walking + 15 min stretch
    Oct 16, 2012: W: 123.5 lbs; still counting; UD2.0 W1; walking (still counting)

The notes for today. Low levels of hunger. Either the overfeed during the weekend buffering me some, or I am reacting to antibiotics or the absence of intense cardio in my life for basically 2 weeks now, or whatnot. Whatever it is, I will take it! I had two cups of coffee instead of one, so feel a bit high right now. I am almost ambitious enough to keep myself under 1,000 cals for today. If I can do 800 cals, the bonus is that I do not have to fit in cardio to create enough deficit to be at 50% calories.

All and all, honestly, having carb up brought colors back into my world. I might have stopped feeling perpetually drained after a while, but I was dragging. After the crab up I am flying. I was a bit late for the gym this morning, so I went into an easy jog part of the way. Nothing felt more natural, backpack and all. It felt wonderful.

The first UD2.0 workout was very much a deja-vu, I was able to finish it in 1 hr 15 min, as before. Not sore yet, but I will likely be tomorrow. I always remember the second depletion workout to be harder than the first. Having had previous experience, I am less prone to feeling annoyed at doing the machine work. I know why I am doing it. Depletion, not strength gain.

I put UD2.0 book on my Kobo, so gonna read it on the way back for inspiration. Your body loves you so much, it hates you... Heh, Lyle is my man!

I have read two chapters from Alerts today (just kept reading). The first one was on "I Have no Willpower" which was basiclaly about having your own food instead of having to struggle with temptation (not a biggie for me, I have learned that independently) but the second was more relevant on the "I Should Not Eat That". This one had good strategies on changing from a rude back seat driver tone to a scientific inquiry, curiosity kind of approach on why and what should be eaten. I like it very much, it is very attuned to my current eating when everything has its place.
    Last edited by Leida; 10-16-2012 at 12:52 PM.

Ultimate Diet 2.0 Journal

Week 1
    Oct 15, 2012: W: NM; 835 cals, 30 g fat (32%), 23/11 g carbs (10%), 123 g protein; ~ 100 min walking + 15 min stretch
    Oct 16, 2012: W: 123.5 lbs; 995 cals, 56 g fat (50%), 20/5 g carbs, 106 g protein; UD2.0 W1; 90 min walking + 15 min stretch
    Oct 17th, 2012:W: 125 lbs;

My today's chapter was on feeling guilty after eating and how to deal with the food guilt. Again, a very useful read.

Today weigh-in is a calling card from my period. I should see that water drop rather soon now that the darn thing started.

I ended up with just under 1000 calories yesterday, figuring I have the cardio coming today, so I can't afford a hunger build-up. For cardio, I am thinking doing a short interval of skipping rope and light KB snatches (15 lbs) for about 10 min, something like a Tabata. Since my Depletion workout #2 will take about 75 min to complete that should finish it off nicely. Tomorrow, I will do an elliptical mush for 40-45 min in addition to the walking and gardening. I will be taking a day off, so the plan is to sleep in, drop my kid off, shop for groceries, bring the car home, and take off on foot to the gym, do the elliptical, then walk to the Asian Market to pick a few packs of Shiritake noodles. That hopefully take me out of the house till around noon, so i can do the first meal about then, from shiritake noodles with egg whites, a drizzle of sesame oil and a crumble of roasted sea weed.

Yeah, I have become paranoid about thyroid again, so I will make an emergency seaweed shopping at lunch break. It's one of those nutritional fears lol. I was reading UD2.0 book yesterday and of course the whole suppression of the thyroid function on cal def made me want to restart my sea weed that I could not do while recovering from the surgery. Aww, good ol' Lyle. Gotta say that Lyle's book is the best one out there to nail the point home about why it is so hard to lose fat.

I am also not sore today, which is good because I can't wait to hit the gym and get through the second depletion. I brought in some Jack3D with me just in case if I feel sluggish in the afternoon.
    Last edited by Leida; 10-17-2012 at 06:53 AM.

I felt pretty good yesterday with the kind of restless energy, plus I got hold up in the office in the last minute meeting and was running late for the gym, so no Jack3D.

I was feeling the second depletion workout more than the first (which is normal) and finally achieved a few episodes of dizziness and the light nausea that indicate you are depleting the glucogen. Still, not as strong burn as I wanted to, so I was already adding weight on a few sets, and started slowing down the movements, and will continue doing it next week. As I said, this is really Week 0, getting re-familiarized with the routine and the sensations and the best way for me. For cardio, snatches did not feel good at all on the burned out body, so I just skipped 9 or 10 sets of 50 fats rope jumps. Until an unwelcome consequence of my childbirth kicked in and I had to evacuate gym in a hurry (that's why I always wear black pants to the gym). I also jogged a few intervals on the way home.

One thing that did not happen today is my day off, since something is better done today. Not sure if I can take a day off tomorrow, we'll see.

No matter what I will be experimenting this week doing the Tension workout tomorrow night and starting the carb up after that, and doing no exercise carb up on Saturday. This is an original schedule, rather than the modified one I normally did with the tension and carb load squished into Saturday. I want to see if the modification allows for a better Power workout Sunday morning, because of the longer recovery and better rest on Saturday.

Week 1
    Oct 16, 2012: W: 123.5 lbs; 995 cals, 56 g fat (50%), 20/5 g carbs, 106 g protein; UD2.0 Depletion 1; 90 min walking + 15 min stretch
    Oct 17th, 2012:W: 125 lbs; 1150 cals, 62 g fat (47%), 27/7 g carbs, 120 g protein; UD2.0 Depletion 2; 90 min walking (with a bit of jogging) + 15 min stretch
    Oct 18th, 2012: W:123 lbs;

Okay, so work interfered again, I was not able to get out of the office till too late to do much more than the elliptical. So, no snatches, no foam rolling and no steam room. Zut.

I am getting hungrier and more aggressive. So, I think the idea of trying this split day with the Depletion in the AM, then a workout and carb-up start in the PM might be a good one. I have a banana in the fridge, liberally sprinkled with creatine, so hopefully it will stop me from going bananas over it since it is not to be consumed till after 2 pm before I launch myself to the 'To the Gym, to the Gym!" journey.

I am very curious how a partial carb-up will impact the weigh in tomorrow. I deliberately set up this stage of a CU with white rice instead of potatoes, since the rice is easier to 'drop'. Well, we will see, as long as I am comparing apples to apples (mmgh, apple!) I should be good.

Another idea I am going to try is to set my Sundays after the potato carb-up as Raw Vegan day. i can't do it this week, as the hemp protein did not arrive yet, so I will do it with egg whites as my source of prot, and raw fruit/veggies. For the best, i will be able to compare results on egg whites vs protein powder. Oh the delicious, frutalicious Sunday!

Week 1
    Oct 16, 2012: W: 123.5 lbs; 995 cals, 56 g fat (50%), 20/5 g carbs, 106 g protein; UD2.0 Depletion 1; 90 min walking + 15 min stretch
    Oct 17th, 2012:W: 125 lbs; 1150 cals, 62 g fat (47%), 27/7 g carbs, 120 g protein; UD2.0 Depletion 2; 90 min walking (with a bit of jogging) + 15 min stretch
    Oct 18th, 2012: W:123 lbs; 985 cals, 42 g fat (38%), 28/9 carbs, 119 g protein; ~ 70 min walking, 40 min SS X-trainer + 15 min stretch
    Oct 19th, 2012: W: 122.5 lbs

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Okay, Week 1 done, the comments & results:

I liked starting carb up on Friday night, mostly because it gives one extra night of good sleep. But, boy, is Intensity Workout a huge load on the system on Friday night! I couldn't stretch after it & walking home, I was so tired, I literally dropped into bed after feeding the hoards and consuming my rice.

On Saturday, I started off with gluten free pop-overs with my folks (and a touch of honey), then made my way through about 2 kg of boiled potatoes, then deviated into fruit and candy Next day though I was all about fruit, yogurt and had some turkey to break up the sweet flavor feast. Boy, did I have a fruit feast! Apple, and pear, and cantaloupe, and pomegranate and strawberries, and blueberries, and cranberries and banana in a couple of smoothies. All and all though, as much as I love fruit, and as much as I want to try hemp, I am starting to doubt that I can do a raw vegan day. I do want some non-vegan proteins. But, again, I don't have my hemp yet, so next week I can give it a shot without pushing.

I also loved having Saturday to be the recovery, workout-free day. Not gym free, since we have some pool play that day with my kiddo, but it really helped me with my Saturday chore load. I cook turkey jerky on Sat, shopped, packed parcels, sweet potato chips, etc preparing for the week. And I slept in... It felt good not to rush around like a hen with its head cut off. And, folks, there is no price to be put on having a breakky with my folks. The same breakky... all together... everyone happy...

Power workout on Sunday was stronger, much stronger than in pure ketosis. Power workout on UD incorporates all the major lifts, and takes me about 75-80 min of super-sets. I started off with 3x3 goal, and only went to 4-5 on OHP, BBR and BP, but I got through it, and I felt strong, again, for the first time since I was trying the ketosis last month. I guess carbs ARE the must for good lifting. Well, for me.

I have no idea if Creatine did anything, but as Lyle says, why not, it's cheap, and it could help the gains.

An interesting week. I am kindda euphoric still that I could eat all that fruit (and, let's face it, junk!), and how little I picked on the carb load, & I look forward to see how next week turns out. So far, my digestion copes well with the volumes (and I am gonna leave it at that) and I am feeling rather well.

Week 2 (~ 123.4 lbs to --)
    Oct 22, 2012 W: 123.4 lbs

Week 1 (~ 125 to 120.6 lbs, 17.8% BF)
    Oct 18th, 2012: W:123 lbs; 985 cals, 42 g fat (38%), 28/9 carbs, 119 g protein; ~ 70 min walking, 40 min SS X-trainer + 15 min stretch
    Oct 19th, 2012: W: 122.5 lbs, 1390 cals, 18 g fat (12%), 198/12 carbs, 106 g protein; ~ 100 min walking, Intensity Tension W/O, NO stretch
    Oct 20th, 2012: W: 120.6 lbs, 17.8% BF (WW Scale); 2500+ cals, 600 g+ carbs + Creatine Load; Moving Slow+Play, stretch, stm.rm
    Oct 21st, 2012: W:122.3, nc but clean; Power Workout + stretch, MS+ Play
    Last edited by Leida; 10-22-2012 at 07:14 AM.

Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast