Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tabata Rows? page

solomani is offline Junior Member

Tabata Rows?

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

Any opinion on replacing Tabata sprints with Tabata rows? I have Achilles tendinitis from chronic jogging (which I stopped!) so hesitant to do any kind of running/sprinting but happy to do rowing as an alternative if its just as effective?

Thanks in advance.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i would say that rowing is probably better than sprinting, since you can reach a high level of intensity faster, so go for it. and consider hopping on a bike too.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    You talking about on a Concept 2 rower? Works great if you can even keep it up for the full 4 minutes. I usually can't. Oh, and you have to keep pulling constantly during the 20 second rest period or the clock will stop.

patrickh is offline Member
    Have you thought about trying tabata burpees? That's usually what I do. If the jumping portion of the burpee irritates your tendonitis, you can skip it. The most important thing is to keep the intensity as high as possible.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    You talking about on a Concept 2 rower? Works great if you can even keep it up for the full 4 minutes. I usually can't. Oh, and you have to keep pulling constantly during the 20 second rest period or the clock will stop.
    You should be able to program intervals on the Concept 2. The ones at my gym have that option.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Bananabonobo is offline Senior Member

zilog is offline Senior Member
    Any opinion on replacing Tabata sprints with Tabata rows?
    Yes, I've been doing them on my Concept 2 for a few months now. Really challenging workout, and I've noticed a significant improvement in my aerobic fitness.

Oh, and you have to keep pulling constantly during the 20 second rest period or the clock will stop.
    The rest interval is 10s you idle slacker!! But yes, I row (gently) rather than stop for this time.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zilog View Post

The rest interval is 10s you idle slacker!! But yes, I row (gently) rather than stop for this time.
    Whoops. I do actually know the Tabata protocol. My brain must be failing me this afternoon due to some sort of saturated fatty acid deficiency. I promise to eat much butter after this evening's squat/deadlift/bench press/chinup session.

Darwin17 is offline Senior Member
    I have just started to play with a concept 2 and I have been messing with 1k, 500m, 240m and doing tabata's would be a crazy good workout....thank you for the idea!!!

solomani is offline Junior Member
    I never managed to maintain this, mainly because I need to go to the gym to do the rowing and the gym is an hour away. And going just for the row is difficult to justify. Can I do tabata at home with no equipment? For example pushups or star-jumps?

Good idea? Bad idea?

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast