Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: St. Patty's page 2

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

Hannah- a lot of people will have a few drinks to celebrate, but many people (like me) just treat it as another normal day. It's a bigger deal in the U.S.

Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

Tiger is offline Junior Member

@StoneAgeQueen - No disrespect intended, I'm just wearing my kilt because it's warm and I'm tired of wearing jeans, plus it's the only damn thing I have that's got even a hint of green lol.

What's the weather like over there in summer? Thinking about taking a month off after graduating college to travel either Ireland or Finland on foot.

"You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor." - Aristotle

Hi Tiger

The weather in the summer over here is warm but can be quite rainy. We generally get pretty hot weather too but it's unpredictable. Finland would be awesome to visit, I've always wanted to go there.

Fruit and starch free.

Fury22 is offline Senior Member

^^Understand. It's quite ironic that St. Patrick's day is such a big deal here (my city has one of the largest festivals in the country - South Carolina), yet in Ireland it's just a day. I don't really get the whole Irish pride thing here. Somebody's grea great great great uncle-grandfather-person came over from Ireland 250 years ago = they are Irish? No. You're American. When people ask me what I am, I say American. When they ask my "heritage", I say American. When they asked where my family came from, I again say America.

On Finland: I went there in late November while studying abroad in RUssia. Was only in Helsinki. It's really nice but REALLY expensive. Paid $8 for a beer. I got to eat Reindeer though!

And if you do go to Helsinki, DO NOT GO TO THE ICE BAR. It's just a small-walk-in cooler with a small bar that they charge like 15 euros for. When we walked in we were all like LOL WAT?

Check out my blog!

http://easternstrength.blogspot.com/

I like to throw, squat and pull heavy things for fun.

We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999

lars1000 is offline Member

@StoneAgeQueen,

Awesome, I have red hair and I'm Swedish, so it's good to know someone else concurs with my Irish red hair theory.

I believe the whole corned beef thing was an Irish-American immigrant thing.

http://www.europeancuisines.com/Why-We-Have-No-Corned-Beef-Recipes

@shastagirl,

My wife's Australian and oh man has she had enough with the croc dundee jokes.

Like anything in America, we take one aspect of another culture and play it to death.

Back to the topic at hand... I plan to get a good workout in after work, and if I'm keen, maybe a glass of Jameson's.

Griff is offline Senior Member

Corned beef and cabbage was "cheap" food and what the Irish often had to subsist on, as I recall. Now it's associated with being Irish (in America, anyway) and is a once-a-year, special food.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

ny2001miata is offline Junior Member

Just had a huge plate of corned beef, cabbage and carrots covered in butter. A pint of Guinness would have went down proper but I'm at work... stupid job.

@ Fury. I totally agree with you. My ancestry is mostly Scottish and French, but if I said I was French people would think I had multiple personality disorder. lol

@ Lars- Yes, there is only a small number of red heads over here and Scotland, and the rest of the British Isles. Not sure where the stereotype came from when there are countries with a larger redhead population.

Fruit and starch free.

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member

I'm going to be busting out a jig!! I've been taking Irish dance for 10+ years even though I don't have an ounce of Irish blood on me! I like to consider myself an honorary Irish person :-)

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member

@StoneAgeQueen - Ok, on all the stuff but potatoes.

While in Ireland in a random small town, I marveled at a table full of guys (they seemed to be contstruction workers) finishing their lunch, and then starting in on a a pyramid of small potatoes (each) with a glass of milk. I had never seen such a thing. That's a lot of potatoes.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast