Thread: Where to eat in Philly? page

sarah k. is offline Member

Where to eat in Philly?

Primal Fuel
    I'm in Philadelphia with my family, and that means 2 adults and 3 kids. I'd love to know if there are any Paleo-friendly AND family friendly restaurants around here.

Drmike is offline Member
    If your in Philly forget primal for one night and get a good cheesesteak at Pat's or Genos. You'll feel like crap but it's so worth it

Tom93084 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sarah k. View Post
    I'm in Philadelphia with my family, and that means 2 adults and 3 kids. I'd love to know if there are any Paleo-friendly AND family friendly restaurants around here.
    Fare, farmacia, and trulias garden, also marathon grill. i especially like Fare.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sarah k. View Post
    I have lived in the Philly area for 8 years, 5 of them actually IN the city. The most Primal place I have seen in the entire city is EASILY Fogo de Chao. It's located on Chestnut Street at 13th Street. There is NO Better paradise for a meat eater, and all th meat is quality stuff. Midwestern beef and New Zealand lamb I believe, but don't quote me on it.

The catch: it's $51.50/person for dinner and $34.50/person for lunch (they just raised their prices, boo). How old are they? Children under 5 are FREE and children 6-10 are half price. The gray area are early teens where you may not get your money's worth unless they're "big, growing boys." I wouldn't take a 13 year old girl here. But trust me when I say this: it is worth EVERY BIT of that $50. It's all you can eat. It's a non-stop barrage of meat, actually. They have around 14 different cuts of various meats that they bring out on swords when you have a "green card" on your table and they don't stop. Even the "bread" they serve is Primal - it's made of tapioca flour, not wheat! Oh, and the salad bar is the best I've ever seen times ten. Unlimited smoked salmon is nice, and a barrel of parmesan the size of a semi's truck tire is a good addition.

Home | Fogo de Chao

It'll be an expensive night but I guarantee the best restaurant experience of your life. If you don't believe me, read the reviews.

Fogo de Chao - Penn Center - Philadelphia, PA

A word of advice from an experienced diner: DO NOT EAT FOR 24 HOURS BEFOREHAND. Minimum. You want to be starving so you can gorge. This is the only meal I will eat for 48 hours - no food for 24 hours before AND after.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 06-14-2012 at 07:32 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Achilles is offline Junior Member
    I would start with the Reading Terminal Market, where you can get just about ANYTHING you want to eat. Every family member can get something from a different place, if they want, and you can eat together in the seating area. It's touristy, but it's good. Go Wed-Sat when the Amish merchants are there. The Fair Food Farmstand doesn't serve prepared food but it's a jackpot of paleo victuals.

ChocoTaco's suggestion of Fogo is a good one; other good steakhouses are the Prime Rib, Union Trust, and Barclay Prime, though they're all expensive (especially Barclay Prime) and not especially good, atmospherically, for kids.

But the advice about Pat's and Geno's is terrible. Those places both suck. It doesn't sound like you're looking for a cheesesteak, but if you are DO NOT go to Pat's or Geno's. (Sorry, not trying to be unkind to drmike, just trying to make sure you don't get steered to a tourist trap.)

Other than that, Philly has a lot of great restaurants, so take advantage. You can be paleo/primal almost anywhere; most good restaurants in the city will provide you with a tasty plate of meat and veggies without too much fuss. A a few of my favorite options: Whole grilled fish at Kanella, which is suitably kid-friendly. Barbecue at Percy Street or the Khyber Pass Pub (of the two Percy Street is more kid-friendly). Roasted chicken, steak frites, or a bunless burger at Parc, which is very kid friendly. The Sunday roast at Dandelion.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Please, if you're going to actually eat a cheesesteak, go to Tony Luke's or John's Roast Pork. Both are near each other on Oregon Ave. Don't insult yourself with a Pats or Geno's cheesesteak. Touristy crap. Jim's on South Street is even worse. That was probably the worst cheesesteak I've ever had. I've had a better one from Wawa, seriously.

If you love sushi, Minado in Norristown is an all you can eat sushi buffet that is SPECTACULAR. It's only $20 for lunch. It's around $30 for dinner. It's totally primal if you don't mind some white rice, but they have around half a dozen to a dozen raw fish selections that contain no rice, along with a considerable amount of cooked foods and salads that are grain-free.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Drmike is offline Member
    Yes Pat's and Genos are crap but it's a Philadelphia tradition It's part of our heritage here in Philly. Yes there are better steak places but there is just something about standing in line then ordering your "Wiz. With" and eating it in the Philly stance with all the grease dripping on the floor. Especially at around 2 am

Drmike is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You might want to try a roast pork sandwich at the Reading Terminal might be better then a cheesesteak