Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does it make sense to eat things that are INDIGESTIBLE? page

BestBetter is offline Senior Member

Does it make sense to eat things that are INDIGESTIBLE?

Primal Fuel
    This has been bothering me for quite some time now. I just can't understand why fiber continues to be touted as a great thing to consume when by definition it is INDIGESTIBLE. Here is a quote from livestrong, quite possibly the biggest CW regurgitator ever:

Of all of the important and healthy components of diet that you need to maintain proper body function, fiber is unique. Unlike other components of food, you don't actually digest or absorb fiber: It passes through your intestine intact.

Then Livestrong goes on to repeat the CW that even though we can't digest or absorb fiber, it's critical to eat.

This makes no sense to me whatsoever. I'm currently healing my IBS and constipation by drastically REDUCING my fiber, so I know that it's not critical for a well-functioning digetive system. What I can't understand is why paleo/primal focused ways of eating rarely, if ever, mention the fiber-is-good-for-you CW fallacy.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I think the fiber thing is just CW. I suffered with chronic constipation, and fiber did nothing for me--even made it worse. My gastroenterologist finally realized that fiber isn't the answer when he had problems himself! I've found that FAT helps much more. Eating Primal may have regularized my gut flora because I am more regular, and I tend to eat very low carb, so it's not the veggie fiber that's doing it because I eat minimal veggies (I am very carb sensitive, which is the reason for my VLC).

ilovedogs is offline Senior Member
    I actually took fibre tablets and my god did tey constipate me, I drank scores of water with as recomended but as soon as I stopped them all was back to normal. I think they say it is good becuase it sort of pushes the other stuff through but never worked for me.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I noticed I had more trouble this past week, and I was taking my fiber supplements faithfully. I quit that sh*t so I could.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Supposedly it sits in your gut and lines it so food doesn't get caught in all those little folds and passes through more smoothly. Like a slide, I suppose... haha. So technically that's why some people say it's important and the fact that it's not digested is a good thing since it stays in your gut. I haven't noticed a big change one way or the other myself, so I can't say much about the effectiveness or damages.
    ~Mollie

Started PB on Monday, June 4. I'm focusing on my health in 2012, including taking natural supplements, zumba and strength training, regular church attendance and studying the Bible, spending time with good friends, and reading more. I want to see what health milestones I can achieve this year!

Starting body fat - 41%
    Starting weight - 170 lbs
    9/4 body fat - 33%
    9/4 weight - 150 lbs

Omni is offline Senior Member
    I was wondering the same thing when I read a bit on the Inuit & Masai, no vegetable matter, all protein & fat. I imagine they were generally healthy & regular.
    I tended to be all over the place before, but have improved in both regularity & consistancy since I went paleo, diet 30-40% animal based & the rest vegetables, fruit, nuts & seeds.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PearlTigress View Post
    Supposedly it sits in your gut and lines it so food doesn't get caught in all those little folds and passes through more smoothly. Like a slide, I suppose... haha. So technically that's why some people say it's important and the fact that it's not digested is a good thing since it stays in your gut. I haven't noticed a big change one way or the other myself, so I can't say much about the effectiveness or damages.
    huh?

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Fibre is supposed to do two things, help your digestion and fill you up. I don't think fibre pills is good for digestion, as they cause bloat more than anything. On another hand, certain veggies and fruit do wonders, but I am not sure if it is fibre or certain combination of nutrients. Eggplant, apples and combination of carrots and olive oil (or just olive oil) will do wonders for those who would carry "War and Peace" to the little boy's and girl's room

As for fibre being filling, that's basically a cruel CW approach that is borrowed directly from starvation times, when people have to stuff their stomach with anything, causing the bloat and a false sense of fullness. Grass, wood chips, etc. It is right from the same box of torture tools as 'drink 2-3 l of water'
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Maybe we don't need to go out of our ways to get extra fiber, but it can't be as simple as indigestible = bad or else it'd be a good idea to just avoid vegetables.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well you know also a lot of vegetables are indigestible unless you cook them, and some raw veggies aren't much better.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast