Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of my fiance's workout? page

gatortrades is offline Junior Member

What do you think of my fiance's workout?

Primal Fuel
    My girlfriend is on Pinterest, and every month there are workouts like this on there. This one is called "Mean Abs June," and I'm doing it with her in addition to normal Grok stuff. What are everyone's thoughts on this daily workout?

mean abs june.jpg

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Skip it and just do push ups pull ups and plank. Crunches are a complete waste of time, situps are too.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    You know what really gets you smokin abs? 500 pound squats. The only crunch I want to see comes in a box and has a sailor on the front.

Ok, I actually don't eat that but you get the idea...
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Yup, although I do like hanging leg raises now and then too.

I'll put some numbers on this, I squat 2-3 a week, deadlift 1-2 a week, pullups 2-3 times a week, planks and side planks 2-3 a week. Know how often I do situps or crunchs? Never.

As part of the Army physical test you have to do situps, I can do 100 in 2 minutes without issue. And never do I train with crunch's or situps. Not trying to show off, just showing how lame those exercises are!
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Rosencrantz1 is offline Member
    I believe the best thinking on core/abdominal training comes from Dr. Stuart McGill. Hand in hand with that, Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove's recent book NEW RULES OF LIFTING FOR ABS takes Dr. McGill's work and puts it into a good collection of training practices. Although I don't follow the rest of the NRLFA workout, I do follow the work for my core. My core and abs are as strong as they have EVER been, and all I've done are plank progressions and anti-rotation holds for about a year (and, recently, added Dr. McGill's "stir the pot" which is great - google it).

Seeing your abs - a six pack - is primarily a function of body fat and, ergo, diet. I have the best looking core I've ever had, and haven't done a crunch.

OnlyBodyWeight is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    Skip it and just do push ups pull ups and plank. Crunches are a complete waste of time, situps are too.
    LOL, crunches and situps are difficult, cause a "burn", and require exertion.
    Sure, they may not be optimal, but it's ridiculous to call them a waste of time (And less than push ups pull ups and plank)

Jiigigaw is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    Agreed. The fitness industry enjoys telling people that isolated toning is possible. It is not. The way a body "tones" is by a combination of building muscle mass, and burning fat. THat fat burning is a MUCH bigger part of it and can not be directed to a specific spot on the body. You lose fat across the whole body, not in a focused part like crunch-pushers claim.

Jiigigaw is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyBodyWeight View Post
    LOL, crunches and situps are difficult, cause a "burn", and require exertion.
    Sure, they may not be optimal, but it's ridiculous to call them a waste of time (And less than push ups pull ups and plank)
    Well they are not a complete waste of time, but they are far more inefficient than planks to build core strength. I'd argue planks are not the best method either, but I'm a YAYOG fan. ::shrug::

NicMcCool is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    You know what really gets you smokin abs? 500 pound squats. The only crunch I want to see comes in a box and has a sailor on the front.

Ok, I actually don't eat that but you get the idea...
    This.

OnlyBodyWeight is offline Senior Member
    Nothing gets you "abs" except a low body fat percentage. ie: Genetics and nutrition (and dehydration)
    I am simply talking about the efficacy of using situps, crunches, plank to build core strength.
    If anything, doing these motions will make your stomach LARGER, as muscle grows bigger when exercised.
    Everyone knows that doing "abs" makes your waist size increase, not decrease.
    However, that is the by-product of being fit.

With that said, do you still find situps & crunches a "waste of time"?
    Again, doing ANY abs routine under the delusion of getting a 6-pack is just that: Ignorance!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast