Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where you a "healthy" weight when you started eating Primal? page 3

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I started at about 250-260, which I considered a healthy weight. Technically obese by BMI standards, but that's an intellectually bankrupt metric for an individual. I'm now something like 210, and 21% bf. Again, I think that this is healthy with more room to move, specifically on the bf front.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I started at 142 lbs (BMI of about 23.6) and about 1.5 months later - with an occasional cheat meal or two - I'm around 136 (BMI of around 22.6).

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    When I started primal I weighed in around 135 at 5ft7. I am now around 124-128 (depends on time of the month) at the same height.

My hieghest weight ever (which was before primal, largely due to emotional eating/pituitary tumor and hormones related) was somewhere around 175-180. When pregnant, I estimate that I weighed in around 155 or so.

I currently weigh 127 -- as of the last time I weighed myself a couple of weeks ago.

I went from a 27.5/28 inch waist to a 26-27 inch waist. And from about 21-22% body fat to 18-19% body fat.

And I've maintained this with little/no effort for the past what? year and a half or something?

Oria is offline Junior Member
    Thank you for all the replies everyone.

I was worried when I joined the site that there didn't seem to be many people to relate to RE weight- most all of the people I saw who were trying to lose weight while eating primally were overweight to begin with, so it's hard to compare/relate.

It's a relief to see so many of you lose to your natural lower weights without severe calorie restriction.
    I am a counter, have been for 17 years, so that's not about to stop, but I am more interested in getting the nutrients I need now, and it would be nice to not have to count calories, but lets face it 5000 calories of primal food is still 3300 calories I don't need and will not burn, so I guess it's best I know what's going in my mouth -hopefully one day I'll be brave enough to eat intuitively.

Another thing I gathered from your most helpful replies is that people seem to lose fat, whilst not losing much weight, so I need to keep my eye on that BF% and inches rather than the lbs - another very new thing for me - been a slave to the scale for years.
    I like the idea of losing in a way that supports my body and doesn't compriomise nutrition, like primal - another new thing for me - out with the devilmaycare attitude to my health, and in with the "Hey girl, you're thirty, gotta start being nicer to your vehicle" TBH, I can see myself eating like this for the rest of my life whether I lose or not, I feel too much better to go back to my old grainy diet. If the weight loss isn't forthcoming then there's plenty I can tweak whiile still remaining primal and happy.

Luce is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't focus that much on weight loss and concentrate on better quality of life, at the end feeling good is what enables changes which improve body composition -you feel better and more energetic so you move more and in time there's less fat and more muscle around.
    Go for the inches and sizes, some people can loose a size or two without getting a single pound lighter -water and fat go away and some lean mass come in and there you are with a healthier leaner look all without changing your weight that much.
    No limits, only my will and the worlds I build.

Quote Originally Posted by Luce View Post
    I wouldn't focus that much on weight loss and concentrate on better quality of life, at the end feeling good is what enables changes which improve body composition -you feel better and more energetic so you move more and in time there's less fat and more muscle around.
    Go for the inches and sizes, some people can loose a size or two without getting a single pound lighter -water and fat go away and some lean mass come in and there you are with a healthier leaner look all without changing your weight that much.

This is good advice Luce, thank you.

I am already appreciating the benefits of adding meat back into my diet and cutting out grains, and sugar that's not from fruit/vegetables. The energy boost is unreal!

I can also exercise longer, feel stronger,and don't have the same aches afterwards, so I am already seeing the health props.

My size will remain an issue for me, however, regardless of how physically fit I feel, and will remain an area I'd like to work on, but you make a good point, and I am just as happy with appropriate size reduction and marginal weight loss, than I would be at 126lbs.

Thank you for your reply.

Spooky_Rach is offline Member
    I was 115lbs (at 5'2") when I first started Primal back in October, so I wwas a healthy weight for my height when I started. I went on a bit of a crazy "yay I can eat as much meat + veggies+dairy+fat as I like" at the start and put on 10lbs, which I've maintened since. I'm back on the attempt to lose 7lbs of those lbs. But I've felt so much better since I started eating primal - loads of energy all day, sleep much better and my IBS has disappeared - that I'm not so bothered about the 10lbs I put on.

Ahhh Spooky_Rach,
    I am trying to avoid a similar thing, but with nuts - god, I adore brazils and macadamias!
    I'm currently getting around it by portioning out the day's "nut allowance" and just eating them slowly throughout the day.
    I have gained a pound since I became primal, but it could be anything, so I'm not freaking out about it. If, in a month, I have gained 7, then I'll get my freak on and just drop the nuts. The only fats I really intake are the nuts, 100ml of full fat milk per day, any residual fat on the meats, and 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil. I've augmented my calories to accommodate it anyway, so it shouldn't adversely affect weight loss. Cheers for the heads up though, I always appreciate something else to keep my eye on - I'm geeky like that.

I'm with you on the feeling great btw, unfortunately my self "sizeism" has not diminished though, perhaps it will in time.

Thank you for responding.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky_Rach View Post
    I was 115lbs (at 5'2") when I first started Primal back in October, so I wwas a healthy weight for my height when I started. I went on a bit of a crazy "yay I can eat as much meat + veggies+dairy+fat as I like" at the start and put on 10lbs, which I've maintened since. I'm back on the attempt to lose 7lbs of those lbs. But I've felt so much better since I started eating primal - loads of energy all day, sleep much better and my IBS has disappeared - that I'm not so bothered about the 10lbs I put on.

Spooky_Rach is offline Member
    I still have days of suffering with self "sizeism" issues, but I'm diffently doing better with the self-image thing since going primal. Maybe it's being less anxious and being in a better mood generally with primal or maybe it's the fact there's less belly bloat going on than with SAD/CW.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky_Rach View Post
    I still have days of suffering with self "sizeism" issues, but I'm diffently doing better with the self-image thing since going primal. Maybe it's being less anxious and being in a better mood generally with primal or maybe it's the fact there's less belly bloat going on than with SAD/CW.
    Yeah, the lack of bloat is seriously cool! Even when I was thin I used to go to bed with a bloat, and wake up with one.
    I do definitely think primal makes you feel better mentally through feeling better physically - the two go hand-in-hand for sure.
    I was into my second week of weaning off of strong psychiatric meds when I began primal, and I haven't had one withdrawal symptom, which is highly unusual for the medications I was taking.

TBH, I think self-image is really an emotional issue, one that I think diet can help, in terms of supporting all the elements that promote healthy brain chemistry, in a biological sense. Unfortunately, there may often be deeper issues that need to be addressed in a psychological sense. But, in my short time living primal, I am very surprised at just how stark an effect it has had on my general mood.

I keep thinking "why did I not know this years ago!" - maybe I did, and just forgot.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123