Thread: Tasted like pancakes... page

RogerDeRok is offline Member

I fried a sweet potato last night in coconut oil with some rosemary and I swear it tasted like pancakes, syrup and all. I can't figure it out. I was overwhelmed with how sweet it was.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I have fresh rosemary outside, a sweet potato growing......but no coconut palms.

Sounds great!

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

Haha... one of my fave 20% things is plantain or sweet potato fried in coco oil. I keep having a staredown with this plantain in my kitchen. I already ate a handful of dried cherries today, so that was carby.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Rose is offline Member

yum. I've got to try that! Thanks Roger. Never heard of plantain where I come from and we call sweet potato 'kumara'.

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

Rose- a plantain is like a cross between a banana and a potato, or at least thats what it tastes like. I dont specifically know of the botanical heritage without wiki... But I DO know they are yummy when they are super brown and fried!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantain

Are you from NZ? They call sweet potatoes kumaras there, so I was wondering.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Rose is offline Member

Thanks Tara for that link. It looks like the plantain might be just what we call 'Green Banana's here, although I've never tried them. Never seen those Red Bananas though.

Yep I'm from NZ.

my parents are from the dominican republic and plantains are a staple crop in our culture. we usually eat it either fried or mashed, called mangu, with butter and onions or garlic and its really good! but don't eat too much because it is fairly carby! the yellow variety is sweet and more like the fruit banana and taste great boiled or fried-i prefer boiled.

Rose i have never tasted the red variety, but i have seen it at my local Whole Foods. maybe ill give it a try some day.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Sole, I had a lot of plantains when I visited the dominican republic... we had mashed one night, and then the next morning the mashed ones were fried into little pancake-type things (no other ingredients involved, just re-cooked, probably in butter). Those little fried plaintain pancakes were probably my favorite thing there... mmmmmmm. So good.

I might have to track down some plantains here.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Hey FlyNavyWife, i think the pancake things your talking about are just fried plantains. they are cut into pieces fried, somewhat mashed then re fried so its definitely not the healthiest choice but can be part of the 20%, once-in-a-blue-moon kinda thing, especially since its most likely fried in vegetable oil :/...but you can try frying it in coconut or some other oil at home and make the slices thinner so you would only have to fry it once and theyd be like plantain chips

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

hmm... it was definitely leftovers, but using coconut oil sounds delicious too.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.