Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Study: Cooked meat contains carcinogens in significant studies, review? page

AMonkey is offline Senior Member

Study: Cooked meat contains carcinogens in significant studies, review?

Primal Fuel
    *Study: Cooked meat contains carcinogens in significant quantities, review?

The cooked meat carcinogen 2-amino-1-methyl-6-phe... [Cancer Res. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI
    The Cooked Meat Carcinogen 2-Amino-1-Methyl-6-Phenylimidazo[4,5-b]Pyridine Activates the Extracellular Signal

It isn't an epidemiological study so don't be so quick to dismiss it. Reading some of it, their conclusion seems pretty reasonable. They claim that cooking meat leads to creation of carcinogens, which when ingested enter blood plasma and lead to physiological changes at the cellular level. However I can't really find what cooking methods they have determined leads to significant levels of carcinogens, nor if meat quality matters. Additionally the overall increase in risk, of cancer, isn't mentioned.

Is there anyone with more experience in biological sciences, or who has heard of this study, who could provide a review of the paper? I haven't been able to find a review from googling it.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
    ... don't be so quick to dismiss it. ...
    Thanks for the instruction. I shan't be running around like a headless chicken over a foodstuff that people have been eating for hundreds of thousands of years, however.

The real question here, it seems to me, is are you going to regularly burn your meat and eat the burnt portions?

js290 is offline Senior Member

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    I thought that was pretty much an accepted general rule that it's best to avoid charring your meat. The best you can do is minimize these substances by not burning your meat at extremely high heat and offsetting them with other protective foods.

codered5 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah this is well known, and just about everything is a carcinogen, lol.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Thanks for the instruction. I shan't be running around like a headless chicken over a foodstuff that people have been eating for hundreds of thousands of years, however.

The real question here, it seems to me, is are you going to regularly burn your meat and eat the burnt portions?
    The study claims that these carcinogens are produced in normal cooking of meat. And "we done it for millions of years, so its not harmful" isn't a proper rebuttal to what this research claims.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    That's why we cook our meat at low temperatures, and go on the rare side. It took a little getting use to, but now I can straight up eat raw meat. I don't do it, I do prefer my pathogens dead for the most part. But it's not as revolting as it first seemed.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    That's why we cook our meat at low temperatures, and go on the rare side. It took a little getting use to, but now I can straight up eat raw meat. I don't do it, I do prefer my pathogens dead for the most part. But it's not as revolting as it first seemed.
    Have you ever eaten a raw vegan? The news always says they're really good for you.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Don't get me wrong. I cook my veggies to a mush! But I've never liked the taste of burned food. Even when you're supposed to, like barbeque. I often got mad at grown-ups for burning the meat. I'd tell these well-,meaning, generous and hapless adults to pay attention and stop burning the meat (Ah, aspergers - how I love you). But, mmm, yum, I like my meat rare!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Nekron is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
    The study claims that these carcinogens are produced in normal cooking of meat. And "we done it for millions of years, so its not harmful" isn't a proper rebuttal to what this research claims.
    Ehm no it doesnt. They didnt even cook meat for this study, they just used the heterocyclic amines for an in-vitro study. The only thing this study says, is that these carcinogens are potentially dangerous even at lower doses than previously thought.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast