Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doc ordered an A1C test for me :( page

pace2race is offline Senior Member

Doc ordered an A1C test for me :(

After my fasted glucose Lvl came in at 112mg/dl. I've had higher than normal readings before but like this one not so close to 126. This was my first test since going primal July 2011. Other than cutting back on the white rice, sweet potatoes and fruit I don't know what to do? I have an older sister who is very thin who developed type 2 three years ago. I had been trying to eat primal carbs because I run around 40-miles per week and lift 4xper week.

What should I look for with the A1C test?

On the positive side my cholesterol numbers I think were okay.

Cholesterol 225 mg/dl. HDL 69 mg/dl, HDL Ratio 3.3, LDL 144 mg/dl, Triglycerides 62 mg/dl.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Your A1C should be below 6.1. 6.9 or less if you were officially diagnosed with diabetes at some point.

Linny is offline Senior Member
    Do you do a lot of fasting? I know when I fast a lot my fasting glucose creeps up. I've stopped fasting at this point but it's still around 100 every morning no matter what I do.

I have coffee with heavy cream in the mornings and I eat for the first time at noon. I don't measure the cream so I thought it was more faux IF than a true IF. I've never been diagnosed just had results between over 110 and under 126 before. Had the recommendation to start working on diet before to avoid it getting worse. I'm 50 years old. I don't know if with time and more PB it can improve or I need to count carbs and keep lowering them to get under 109? I was non-primal for 49 years so now I just don't know if I need more time or start making additional food adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeOfRound View Post
    Your A1C should be below 6.1. 6.9 or less if you were officially diagnosed with diabetes at some point.
    I'll shoot the "stupid" question now. If my result is less than 6.1, would that imply levels have been in the normal range and I could continue to go with the diet and lifestyle that has me feeling better or does it mean I still have too high a fasted glucose reading but a good A1C result and should try diet changes (fewer carbs) to improve the fasted result?

Thanks!

Motorhead is offline Member
    On my lab results any A1C below 5.8 is considered non-diabetic. I took my A1C from 7.7 to 5.2 via LC primal eating. I now IF and fasting glucose was 90 this morning when I checked. You may have dawn phenomena which pushed up your fasting glucose. Remember A1C is an average of your blood sugars for the past 60 days. I am personally shooting for high 4.XX A1Cs per Robb Wolf's advice and believe that the lower my A1C, the less insulin is needed and the longer I will live.
    SW on 10/1/11: 380lbs.
    CW 12/13/12: 315lbs. (Was under 300#, added some muscle :-) )
    GW: 10% B.F. 250lbs. - 275lbs. (6' 4" tall)

emmie is offline Senior Member
    The fasting result is irrelevant if your A1C is within normal limits. The A1C provides your average blood glucose over the past 3 months and is more important for diagnosis than the fasting number.

Low carbers tend to have a higher than expected fasting number for some reason. I'm hypothyroid and have labs done every 4 months to check my hormone levels. My endo also does glucose and lipids. He is never worried about my fasting number (which in the low 90s is high for someone who eats as low carb as I do) because my A1C is always in the low 5 range.

Keep in mind that if you ARE diagnosed with Type 2, ask your doctor if you can try to control with diet before adding meds. A low carb diet can often manage the disease and keep you off meds. The 'authority' on this is Dr. Richard Bernstein of Diabetes Solution. His website gives valuable info on controlling diabetes with diet. You can also check out BloodSugar 101.

Beefy is offline Member
    You might be pleasantly surprised with your A1C test results. My last two fasted glucose numbers were 101 and 105 despite the fact that I've been eating low carb. I thought they would be lower so had an A1C done which came in at a solid 4.9.

So I'm not sure I would stress about the fasting blood glucose numbers at this point.

Thanks for the explantations. I'll focus on the low stress part of it the next few days and wait for the A1C. I guess it wasn't such a bad omen to have it ordered in the first place.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think I read somewhere that you should eat more carbs for a few days before the glucose test because it tends to measure artificially high for people on paleo diets.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast