Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doc ordered an A1C test for me :( page 2

choppedliver is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Another misleading FBG caused probably by physiological insulin resistance. In his case though, his is a bit higher and he's 50, so I would tend to think he's prediabetic. But you can recover from prediabetes, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    You might be pleasantly surprised with your A1C test results. My last two fasted glucose numbers were 101 and 105 despite the fact that I've been eating low carb. I thought they would be lower so had an A1C done which came in at a solid 4.9.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Here's some good info regarding the A1C test from Chris Kresser:

Why hemoglobin A1c is not a reliable marker

tldr: A1C can be skewed high if your red blood cells live longer than average.

Have you checked your numbers fasting, before your first meal and 1 hour post- and 2 hours post-prandial? Doing so can give insight to what's happening. If your numbers actually go down after you eat, maybe you should back off on the IF for a while or cut back on exercise somewhat to try to lower cortisol. If your BG goes really low in the post-meal window it could be reactive hypoglycemia. Lots of possibilities that checking with a glucometer could help figure out.

Linny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I think I read somewhere that you should eat more carbs for a few days before the glucose test because it tends to measure artificially high for people on paleo diets.
    Just want to point out that that is for a glucose tolerance test. An AIc doesn't require this since it's a 3 month average.

choppedliver is offline Senior Member
    Correct, just take HbA1c. You can buy a kit from Walmart for $9.99 and that's pretty reliable (I would add 0.2 to the result, however). If you're like 5.7-6.9, that may be considered "prediabetic" and you can recover doing low carb or moderate carb. Beyond that, I'm not so sure. We know it doesn't have an arbitrary cut-off point and is a continuum for each individual. Some really strict docs think even 5.7 is prediabetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Just want to point out that that is for a glucose tolerance test. An AIc doesn't require this since it's a 3 month average.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Yes, you are right. I was pointing that out as a possible explanation for why the results were so high. Perhaps there is no actual problem.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Sorry to comment but you should stop running.

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    Got a call from the Doctor's office and the result is 5.5. The print out is being mailed. Relieved and I have much to learn. Reading has started. I've felt better since going primal the past year. It's good to have hope the results can get better as I learn and continue on.

Thanks everyone!

emmie is online now Senior Member
    Congratulations! You're well into 'safe' territory with anything in the 5s.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12