Thread: Good vs Bad animal fats? page

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Hi,

I'm trying to work something out and keep going around in circles!

So, the ideal is to eat meat and fat from grassfed animals, yes? E.g. beef. Because the composition of the fat will be different?

So if I can't get grassfed / organic beef, is "normal" animal fat okay? Or should I go for lean meat in order to avoid the bad fat?

I'm just stuck trying to decide which packet of mince to go for...!

If it helps, I'm in the UK, I'm not sure if farming is different over here, presuming the US's cornfed meat is what we're trying to avoid?

Nick Guest

There are other nutritional differences like vitamin content, etc. between grass fed and grain fed, but the different that has the biggest impact on you healthwise is the proportion of Omega-6 to Omega-3 fats in the fat. So if you are unable to get grass fed meat for whatever reason, I'd recommend you choose leaner cuts and supplement your fat some other way..olive oil, avocado, high quality dairy, etc. If you can get grass fed meat, then the fattiest cuts are fair game (and the most delicious).

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Thank you!

It's a bit of a shame, made the tastiest lasagne (aubergine instead of pasta layers) ever with cheaper, fattier mince which is what started me thinking...

BigBeck89 Guest

if you cant get grassfed, then at least try to get cleaner meet that hasn't been given any growth hormones, antibiotics, etc because those are then stored in fat...then supplement with fish oil to balance o3/o6

Trinkwasser Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Try a proper butcher's shop rather than a supermarket. Some still sell crap because that's all they can source, but many do better than that.

There's more outdoor grazing and more emphasis on grass feeding in the UK (including haylage and silage when the cows are indoors) with grain as "concentrate", ie. a much smaller proportion of the diet than in the typical US feedlot animals. Many farms now aim for quality rather than quantity, avoiding high maintenance breeds, expensive hormones etc. lower input farming techniques can be profitable compared to high input high output due to the cost reduction though there may be some premium price to pay for the result.