Thread: New to paleo! A family jump in this lifestyle. page

Ivalco is offline Junior Member

New to paleo! A family jump in this lifestyle.

Shop Now
    Hello, dearly primals!

I'm a 25 old guy from Spain who recently discovered the paleo lifestyle, I took it seriously like two weeks ago and my family followed me almost instantly.

Our problem it's that we are really hard gainers, we are underweight since I can remember, although we were eating a lot. Now we see some improve in weight and muscle gain, principally my brother and me.

We used to eat a lot of processed foods, pasta, grains, rice and, being spaniards, the legumes had a usual spot in our table. Now we eat paleo almost exclusivelly, lot of veggies, eggs, meat, fish and fruits.

I will put you in a place to understand my questions, so I need to put in a table our weight, height and such:

Maria Alvaro Me
    Age 49 20 25
    Weight 107,58 lb 137,01 lb 134,59 lb
    Height 5' 4.56" 5' 10.8" 5' 11.25"
    %Body Fat 19.24% 4.60% 4.97%

As you can see, our principal problems are the following ones:
    My mother, Maria, want to lose fat, but no weight, since she's a bit skinny, instead she wants to grow some muscle and maybe gain some weight, but she's a bit worried about loosing more weight if she loses more fat.
    My brother and I want to gain muscle and weight, but we are a bit worried about the percentage of body fat, the system used to calculate it is Body Fat Calculator 6 formulas to calculate body fat percentage (Tap measurement method).

Some kind of advice? We're doing crossfit with the method of Nerd Fitness 3 times each week and doing sprints every Sunday, apart from other activities (ie. we have two dogs that need to walk a lot).

Thanks for your time.

Iván

P.D. Sorry if I did some grammar mistakes, English is not my native language and although I'm trying to improve in it, but it's difficult if you don't have someone to speak, hahaha.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Your English is great, so no worries there.

19% body fat on a female is a pretty good place to be, on the lower end of a healthy range, if I recall correctly. Lifting weights will help her get a more "toned" look, but she has to go a little heavier every time.

In order to gain muscle you need to lift heavy things (I like Stronglifts 5x5, personally) and you need to eat a lot. Don't do any moderate cardio exercise- no long workouts, no long runs. If you need to run, then do sprints, as hard as you can, once every 7-14 days. Walking is great, however.

I'm not sure if CrossFit is the best place to be if you are trying to gain muscle, but someone else can maybe speak to that.

Hedonist2 is online now Senior Member
    Hola Iván! Welcome to primal.

I agree that 19% is great for a woman. I personally would not want as low body fat as you and your brother, but many guys here would. What jfreaksho says to do is right. I would add that you guys could handle some healthy carbs like rice and starchy vegetables.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

McconnellSilva is offline Junior Member
    I personally would not want as low body fat as you and your brother

MidwestPaleo is offline Junior Member
    Ivan, I'll speak English with you all the time....

Ivalco is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for your answers, that helped a lot.
    Actually seems like my brother and I have more fat percentage, different webs, different results, the valor most repeated is about 8.5% in both, +-.5%.
    Last edited by Ivalco; 06-13-2012 at 06:17 AM.