Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should women IF? page 2

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Also, IF is something I do on an unplanned basis (except for the overnight fast, which I see more as a normal, controlled eating pattern than as IF). If I'm not hungry or there's nothing to eat, then I'll skip a meal, but I don't force a long fast like some people will. I'd rather listen to my body and let my hunger signals tell me when it's time to eat or not.
    I am doing the same thing. I basically just reverted to the old paleo idea of just skipping a meal when you can. Holding the fasts in the morning is too disruptive for my work, and I managed to miss a supper only one time evar. I'd much rather sleep than 'fast'.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I am actually looking at thryoid stuff, somewhat sex related & have shortened my daily fast to 16 hours or less with more Lean Gains/Warrior Diet type eating during the day. Also, more dairy & less meat.... etc.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I am doing the same thing. I basically just reverted to the old paleo idea of just skipping a meal when you can. Holding the fasts in the morning is too disruptive for my work, and I managed to miss a supper only one time evar. I'd much rather sleep than 'fast'.
    For sure. If it's dinner time and I'm not hungry, then no worries, I won't eat. But I'm not going to bully myself into fasting when my body is saying I need to eat--that's uncomfortably close to my teenage years of disordered eating and chronic overexercising (mostly exercise bulimia, but also some straight-up self-starvation in there).

Basically, I've taken some ideas from mindful eating and added them into eating paleo. I stop and think about whether I'm hungry or not, why I want to eat, and so on. Being really conscious of the reasons I'm eating or not eating helps me a lot.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

GrainFreeIronGoddess is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    If you ever dug in the Lean Gains protocol, it has a gender adjustment for women. And you know what it is? Shortening the fasting window to 14 hours from 18 for men, to 'improve adherence' and improve mood, and increase carbohydrates, mainly from adding fruit. In other words, it acknowledges women's natural tendency to have bad feedback to long fasts and low carb. Obviously, all women are different, and some women can live on fat alone, etc, but yes, it is not accidental that a dieting woman will go for fish, yogurt and apples, and will be turned off by heavy, greasy foods.
    I have done something similar to the leangains protocol, and I think the key with IF is to truly find a method that works for you. 12-14 hours seems to work best for me- I'm an early to bed early to rise gal, usually in bed by 8:00/8:30 p.m and up at 4:00 a.m SO- that being said, I don't like to eat IMMEDIATELY before bed, I usually would get my LAST meal in at around 6:30-7:00. depending. Up at 4 a.m means that I typically break my fast around 9 a.m, AFTER I've trained. I then eat every 3-4 hours until my last meal... give or take depdning on hunger I usually get 3 meals, maybe a snack in. It works WONDERFULLY for me..... I think the key with ANY IF approach is to try it and adjust it so that it works for you..... each individual is different, even within the genders.
    Grain Free Iron Goddess
    Paleo Figure Athlete
    www.alli-fitness.com“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food” -Hippocrates

CaveWeirdo is offline Senior Member
    It's obvious that women lose weight slower than men, and that we shouldn't go too low on the body fat % for the sake of our fertility and general health.

However, I still haven't seen a scientifically based reason why women shouldn't IF, or should IF less than men. Do we release exaggerated amounts of cortisol during fat metabolism compared to men, or something like that? What actually happens to a woman's body that doesn't happen to a man's during a fast? Studies are a starting point but I need to talk actual biochemical mechanisms to be convinced of this.

I regularly skip breakfast now, and I am losing weight steadily so far and feeling much better for it. I'd need pretty convincing evidence to make me stop doing it!
    Last edited by CaveWeirdo; 06-18-2012 at 05:44 AM.
    Start weight: 238 lbs (March 2012)
    Current weight: 205 lbs (July 2012)
    Loss so far: 33 lbs!!!
    WOE: Primal + IF
    Movements: Hiking, sprinting.
    Goal: to see my abs some time in 2013!

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveWeirdo View Post
    It's obvious that women lose weight slower than men, and that we shouldn't go too low on the body fat % for the sake of our fertility and general health.

However, I still haven't seen a scientifically based reason why women shouldn't IF, or should IF less than men. Do we release exaggerated amounts of cortisol during fat metabolism compared to men, or something like that? What actually happens to a woman's body that doesn't happen to a man's during a fast? Studies are a starting point but I need to talk actual biochemical mechanisms to be convinced of this.

I regularly skip breakfast now, and I am losing weight steadily so far and feeling much better for it. I'd need pretty convincing evidence to make me stop doing it!

On whatever | Just another WordPress site the author has a whole article reviewing the scientific reasons women shouldn't IF

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Linkies aren't working
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    Linkies aren't working
    Odd, they both work when I click on them....
    Here try this: whatever | Just another WordPress site

halfbunny is offline Senior Member
    ^^ Or read some articles on paleoforwomen.com , that said, i do think IF for women can work (certainly for post-meno chicks), just not when the only aim is fat loss and with shorter fasts

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I have done something similar to the leangains protocol, and I think the key with IF is to truly find a method that works for you. 12-14 hours seems to work best for me- I'm an early to bed early to rise gal, usually in bed by 8:00/8:30 p.m and up at 4:00 a.m SO- that being said, I don't like to eat IMMEDIATELY before bed, I usually would get my LAST meal in at around 6:30-7:00. depending. Up at 4 a.m means that I typically break my fast around 9 a.m, AFTER I've trained. I then eat every 3-4 hours until my last meal... give or take depdning on hunger I usually get 3 meals, maybe a snack in. It works WONDERFULLY for me..... I think the key with ANY IF approach is to try it and adjust it so that it works for you..... each individual is different, even within the genders.
    I have a similar sleeping hours, but I can't train in the morning because the gym doesn't open till 5:30 am, so I will lose a lot of time if I go to the gym the first thing in the morning (I go after I finish work, by about 3:30 pm). So, I get up, cook and pack lunches for the family, then walk to the bus and get to work by 6, and I find it is almost impossible to sit out without food from 6 am till 10 am - noon trying to work when I would meet my 14-16 hours window. And, by the time I am home, get my kid and get the supper on the table for everyone it is normally 6-8 pm (and, yes, yes, I do cook larger batches and all that, but it still takes time to get the kid organnized, to clean up, set the table, make fresh salad, fruit plate, steam veggies etc). Plus, if I eat earlier I wake up hungry at 2 am. The only times when I can IF is on my flex days off when I can get to the gym by 5:30-6 am, train and then take myself shopping etc. On the weekends gym is not opened till 7 am, so by then I get too hungry to lift properly and cook breakky for my folks, so I end up eating. I could also IF after I had a huge refeed, then I am just not hungry for longer. But I don't want to do huge refeeds any more. I just want to eat steady, without excessive hunger. I am too tired of being hungry after these many years. (Sigh).
    Last edited by Leida; 06-18-2012 at 07:48 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast