Thread: How are my blood test results? page

dgreenwood is offline Senior Member

How are my blood test results?

Primal Fuel
    I've read the cholesterol primer and I've been reading all of the info on this forum and the TPB book to try to avoid asking stupid questions on here but it is a lot to absorb for a new comer so please bear with me.

I started primal about 2 months ago and eased my way in over the first couple of weeks. I've lost about 25-30lbs so far. I had my physical yesterday and these were the results for cholesterol and fasting glucose. My doctor said everything is ok with the results. Does anyone have anything more to add to that? Anything jump out at you as a potential problem? Anything I should concentrate on based on the results?

Thanks in advance.

77 mg/dL.....Glucose Fasting
    199 mg/dL...Cholesterol Fasting
    55 mg/dL.... Triglyceride Fasting
    44 mg/dL.....High Density Lipoprotein Fast
    4.52...........Cholesterol/HDL Ratio Fasting:
    137 mg/dL...Cholesterol Low Density Lipoprotein Dir:

XGrains is offline Member
    Two brief comments. I would look at the direction your numbers are going. Are they improving or not. Secondly, I would work on getting your HDL up. Are you exercising frequently and at a good intensity? This should improve your HDL's.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Looks fine. What XGrains says may be correct, but IMO far too many people try to micromanage these numbers to some preconceived optimal when in fact these test are barely accurate or precise enough to determine pathology (abnormal physiology). Well the glucose test is IMO (and your number there is good) the most important of the above. However, for instance there can be up to a 30 point swing on average just from one day to the next in total cholesterol. So that said, yours looks fine.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 06-12-2012 at 01:55 PM.

dgreenwood is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by XGrains View Post
    Two brief comments. I would look at the direction your numbers are going. Are they improving or not. Secondly, I would work on getting your HDL up. Are you exercising frequently and at a good intensity? This should improve your HDL's.
    3 years ago I was 30-35 lbs heavier and my numbers are listed below. Fasted glucose was not checked at that time:

202-total cholesterol
    55 - Trig
    39 - HDL
    144 - LDL

I do exercise frequently and with good intensity. I'm not going to the olympics or anything but I work out more than most people I know.

Thanks for the feedback.