Thread: Mommy the Newbie page

mommydog Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I'm a 57 year old woman who has been yo-yo dieting for most of my life. I discovered Cross-fit about 5 months ago and I absolutely love it, even if I am th oldest person in my class. My trainer strongly recommends paleo so I thought I'd try.

Here's my issue: I had my REE tested (resting energy expenditure) and at 140 pounds, my body only uses 940 calories a day, as opposed to 1400 hundred which would be average. So, I'm dealing with a seriously messed up metabolism. Is there anyone out there like me who has had success with Paleo? Thanks. Debbie

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member

Hi, Debbie. I'm 40, and I've never had any testing, but I'd imagine that my metabolism is about as messed up. What I've found is that I feel better the less I rest. I don't mean that I don't sleep or relax. I just try to walk around as much as I can. A good pedometer is great for keeping track. I try for 10 to 12 thousand steps a day, and I get it mostly by doing little things like getting into the habit of pacing whenever I'm on the phone. I'm down 70 pounds.

My wife and I just started CrossFit last Thursday. We're loving it too.

shepherd is offline Junior Member

Hi Debbie! Welcome to the cave.

Glad you're enjoying Crossfit - it's amazing how it can change your physique and your outlook on things. Paleo is pretty powerful stuff too!

I've been doing Primal/Paleo since Jan 1 and I've been seeing huge results. No idea what my REE is, but I'd wager that my metabolism also was severely messed up prior to this.

Good luck!

In your face, Space Coyote!