Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keep Minimalist Shoes Fresh page

cjeber02 is offline Junior Member

Keep Minimalist Shoes Fresh

Good Morning Friends,

I have a question. I recently purchased my first pair of Minimalist shoes. I went with the New Balance Minimist shoes. I must say, I lovee the feel and the weight of them. I do have one problem. In keeping with the barefoot mentality, I'd prefer to not wear socks with my shoes. Are there some tricks to keeping the shoes smelling fresh? I'm not running in mine yet, but I do wear them to work almost every day and find them to be very comfortable. The minimist shoes look similar to casual shoes so I get away with it at work. I'm worried that over time they'll get smelly and I won't be able to wear them to the office any more. Any tips?

Regards,
    Chris

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    I have Merrells. I wear the Pure Gloves sockless. I wash the shoes in the washing machine when they get stinky and let them air dry. My Pace Gloves I wear with socks. They're just more comfortable that way. Also make sure you keep your feet clean. The cleaner the feet, the less stinky the shoes.

CSilivestru is offline Member
    I was my Vibrams once a week in the washing machine and let them air dry -- seems to do the trick. If I'm using them very often (or for sports) that week, I may wash them twice :-).
    Living the primal lifestyle and loving it! On a constant quest of optimal health and living life to the fullest :-).

You can have excuses or results -- not both.

BigSwifty is offline Junior Member
    I've had Vibrams for a few years now and I wash them every week. I swear that when I pour a little bit of vinegar into the load it takes the smell out of them better than just the detergent alone. I've also heard of people soaking shoes in hot water with a little vinegar for an hour or two to get rid of unwanted smells.

McconnellSilva is offline Junior Member
    I wash the shoes in the washing machine when they get stinky

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    I take them in the shower everyday (body wash and water), dry overnight. Wash once a week or so. Vinegar "bath" once a month. Still gets smelly sometimes but nothing that would ostracize me from social gatherings.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

MudLily is offline Senior Member
    I apply aerosol antiperspirant to my feet before putting on shoes w/o socks. Not foot deodorant, but underarm spray antiperspirant. Very effective.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Try adding borax (Mule Team, sold just about everywhere in the detergent aisle) to the wash water / detergent.

I have used this for all kinds of intractable smells (cat spray / pee, puke, "skid marks" in underwear...) for years and have never had it fail or harm fabrics. Totally natural, no smell of its own. Rinses clean.

A couple of times, though, I did have to rewash another time - that was because the cat thing was just so extreme in those items - just to be totally honest.

bryanccfshr is offline Senior Member
    I have six pair (4 merrells and 2 vff)and rotate them. I also use the washing maching
    Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

RaleyLMT is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I use either vinegar or a little bit of odor ban (you can get it at lowes or home depot)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast