Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Give me links to why ephedrine is bad. page 2

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Sakura, IF you have ADD and you are interested in persuing medication to help it, I would suggest looking into Dexedrine, which is a form of amphetamine. My husband is prescribed Dexedrine for his ADD, and since he doesn't like the idea of being medicated, he takes it sparingly (when he REALLY needs to focus on something important). It completely eliminates his hunger, so he always eats a huge meal before taking it, otherwise he won't want to eat all day. It's also prescribed for obesity and depression (since it acts on dopamine levels). I have a prescription for Dexedrine also, but for my chronic fatigue, not ADD. When taken in small doses there's little to no shakiness/racing heart, which is common with other ADD rx like Adderall (which he and I both tried and decided that it sucks).

However, I personally wouldn't use amphetamine/ephedrine for weight loss, because I think that the people who use it for this purpose tend to end up with very poor body composition (skinny fat). I'll ask my husband if he can find and forward some info about the negative effects of regular ephedrine use.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    Which trail head did you start off on for your Quicksilver hike? There are four.

I don't remember a spectacular view from the Quicksilver trails I've been on... unless
    I'm just spoiled and have forgotten.
    I think I started on the Mine Hill trail, and after getting to the reservoir, it was picture-perfect. Or maybe I just have a different point of view on what's beautiful and what's not =P

Yeah, I'm from Hawaii, but the bay area hikes don't cease to amaze me with the breathtaking views sometimes. But I guess Santa Cruz is a lot more similar to the other south bay hikes than the Hawaii ones are XD

BestBetter: Thanks for the info. I would really appreciate any information you can give On days when I have excess caffeine intake, I feel really mentally focused, so I'm not sure how that relates to my ADD symptoms. Someone mentioned to me that I seemed like I have ADD, and after reading up on the symptoms, I realized I do have it. And it would explain many, many things lol.

bionicsamm is offline Senior Member
    I love ephedrine and I tolerate it very well but some people do not. Taken properly, it's not dangerous, if you're healthy. I take an EC stack with 2 x 8mg ephedrine tabs and 1 200mg caffeine pill. It does not make me jittery, it never has, but it does make me more focused and more of an extrovert. I don't have ADD though, so not sure how it will effect that I don't take it daily but I do take it when I'm dragging my ass through the day (if I'm lacking sleep or sick.)

Originally it was used to treat asthma/breathing issues, it's still used in Asia for this.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Ephedrine leads to a far GREATER rise in cortisol levels than caffeine does. This leads to a stressed out feeling, and when the body perceives it is under stress it tries to hold onto fat.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Dietary Supplements and Arrhythmia Ephedra/Ephedrine Ephedra, a naturally occurring substance derived from the Chinese herb ma huang, contains an adrenaline-like substance called ephedrine. Ephedrine-containing supplements were widely used for years as aids to weight loss and as athletic performance enhancers, although the drug has been found to be only slightly effective in weight loss. Because thousands of adverse events, including death, have been reported, ephedrine-containing substances have been banned for sale in the US. Unfortunately, they are still easily available through the Internet and other sources.

Ephedrine-containing supplements are associated with more reports of death, cardiac arrhythmia, heart attack, hypertension, stroke, and seizure than all other dietary supplements combined. The drug's potency, and its danger, lie in its powerful action on the sympathetic nervous system, which acts to accelerate heart rate and other functions. Moreover, the drug's effects on the sympathetic nervous system last 10 times as long as those of adrenaline.

The sympathetic nervous system is capable of destabilizing the heart's electrical system. Because ephedrine has such a powerful effect on the sympathetic nervous system, the drug has the potential of creating deadly arrhythmias. Especially when taken with caffeine (as it frequently is), ephedrine can overstimulate the heart and cause it to beat so rapidly (tachycardia) that it can no longer effectively pump blood: the blood is pumped out more rapidly than it can return to the heart. The heartbeat may disintegrate into fibrillation, or uncoordinated quivering, rather than beating. Atrial fibrillation is not immediately dangerous but may lead to stroke, when blood pools in the atria and forms clots. Ventricular fibrillation can result in death within minutes of onset.

thevisualMD.com

Ephedrine is a sympathomimetic drug prescribed as a nasal decongestant, with properties similar to epinephrine; its effects on both a- and b-adrenergic receptors and its central effects resemble those of amphetamines (see figure). 7 The adverse effects of ephedrine are hypothesized to be related to coronary artery constriction, vasospasm, shortening of cardiac refractory periods allowing re-entrant cardiac arrhythmias, hypertension -induced subarachnoid hemorrhage, cerebral artery vasoconstriction and sympathomimetic -induced platelet activation.

http://www.cmaj.ca/content/166/5/633.full

LONG-TERM EFFECTS ON THE ADRENAL GLANDS

Forcing the body to constantly secrete epinephrine puts unnecessary stress on the adrenal glands. Much like an addiction to any substance, over time it takes more epinephrine to get the same desired effects. The adrenal glands have to work harder than normal to produce enough epinephrine. The extra work over time can cause the adrenal glands to fatigue and fail.

Ephedra's Effects On Adrenals | LIVESTRONG.COM

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    I'm not really big on suggesting drugs, especially for weight loss but since you mentioned focus you can read up (and apply your common sense and reasoning) and look into 1,3-Dimethylamylamine. It may or may not be right for you.

1,3 Dimethylamylamine (not recommending this site or any products there, just came up early on google)
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

bionicsamm is offline Senior Member
    Ephedrine was banned in the US because people misused and abused it with previous health conditions. It's still available all over the world without people dying from it.

Just so you're aware, pseudoephedrine (found in a lot of OTC medications) is a derivative of ephedrine with all the same effects but it is NOT banned in the US nor is it causing heart attacks etc. If it was such a dangerous active ingredient, it would be removed from the shelves.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    I love how this started from a 'debate with a friend' to 'i might need it for my ADD'....#justsayin #lilmorningcrankiness

fatisyummy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    Sakura, IF you have ADD and you are interested in persuing medication to help it, I would suggest looking into Dexedrine, which is a form of amphetamine. My husband is prescribed Dexedrine for his ADD, and since he doesn't like the idea of being medicated, he takes it sparingly (when he REALLY needs to focus on something important). It completely eliminates his hunger, so he always eats a huge meal before taking it, otherwise he won't want to eat all day. It's also prescribed for obesity and depression (since it acts on dopamine levels). I have a prescription for Dexedrine also, but for my chronic fatigue, not ADD. When taken in small doses there's little to no shakiness/racing heart, which is common with other ADD rx like Adderall (which he and I both tried and decided that it sucks).

However, I personally wouldn't use amphetamine/ephedrine for weight loss, because I think that the people who use it for this purpose tend to end up with very poor body composition (skinny fat). I'll ask my husband if he can find and forward some info about the negative effects of regular ephedrine use.
    Personally, and yes, everyone is different, I would suggest avoiding amphetamines at all costs. I was on them and I lost weight. I was not skinny fat because I was very active. After stopping 3 months ago I have tried to be very careful with my diet. Admittedly my activity has gone down, but I am just now starting to get energy levels back somewhat. I gained 15lbs that is refusing to budge. I had my BF measured too and it went from 18-24%. I feel like no matter what I do, at this point, the best I can hope for is to not gain more. None of my clothes fit anymore. I haven't had any treats like ice cream, restaurant food, for ages; been so careful and I'm still getting fat as my body decides to store everything and not let me have anything as usable energy. Avoid!

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatisyummy View Post
    Personally, and yes, everyone is different, I would suggest avoiding amphetamines at all costs. I was on them and I lost weight. I was not skinny fat because I was very active. After stopping 3 months ago I have tried to be very careful with my diet. Admittedly my activity has gone down, but I am just now starting to get energy levels back somewhat. I gained 15lbs that is refusing to budge. I had my BF measured too and it went from 18-24%. I feel like no matter what I do, at this point, the best I can hope for is to not gain more. None of my clothes fit anymore. I haven't had any treats like ice cream, restaurant food, for ages; been so careful and I'm still getting fat as my body decides to store everything and not let me have anything as usable energy. Avoid!
    That is my fear! I was looking in getting dex after I was mysteriously diagnosed with adult adhd, really random as I have two degrees (although the law one was a bit of a struggle my last year and a half...could not focus for the life of me, also failed first bar exam due to excrutiating inability to focus) so at any rate, I am thinking of getting Dex and must admit that I am also allured by the side effects of the weight loss part, however I do not want to feel like I have to take it for the rest of my life in order to not gain back the weight that I have tried to hard to lose and maintain already.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast