Thread: Nut Case page

elan.joelle is offline Junior Member

Nut Case

Primal Fuel
    I am only one week into Primal and overloaded with questions.

When I was a Chronic Cardio Queen, I would eat 1550-1600 calories a day with at least 65% of those calories coming from carbs, and I lost 20 lbs and have been attempting to loose the last 5 for 8 months.

Within the one week of going Primal I have lost those last 5 lbs. My question comes here:
    I have been tracking my Carbs on Livestrong and it also spits back calories. I eat about 70-100g carbs per day, but my calories have jumped to 1700- over 1800 per day! Now bascially 65% of those calories are from fats (I love nuts hence the topic name) So do calories matter from where they come from? meaning calories from carbs are different than calories from fats?

Also: Any suggestions of what to add to nuts(raw pecans, raw almonds, raw sunflower seeds, raw cashews) other than dried cranberry? I love the slight sweetness factor, but the dried cranberrys are so high in carbs! please reply
    Last edited by elan.joelle; 06-12-2012 at 08:49 AM. Reason: additional question

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Sounds like you should add some meat to the nuts. I mean, it sounds like all you eat are nuts. That doesn't sound very healthy.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Yes, calories matter. The weight you lost was water. Reducing carbs is going to cause you to shed water.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Ha! No i eat more than nuts. I have an omlete in the morning with some meat (like ham) and tons of veggies, then I will have a medium sized salad for lunch with more veggies, dinner I normally have meat and a small salad. the nuts are just a snack I have throughout the day.
    So it sounds like I'm eating too much? If I lost only water weight, with the extra calories I'm eating I will then gain it back?

The calories probably do not matter where they come from for you. You are at your goal weight, although it's highly likely that the last 5lbs was just water weight.

If you continue to eat the way you are eating one or more of the following may happen:

- You will gain weight from fat
    - You will gain muscle and bone and be heavier but same size or smaller
    - You will have more energy and move around more and stay the same or even lose more weight
    - You will get tired of eating more than you need and have a few days where you hardly eat anything to balance it out

Let us know what happens.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I would cut back on nuts immediately, they contain too much PUFA.

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by elan.joelle View Post

Also: Any suggestions of what to add to nuts(raw pecans, raw almonds, raw sunflower seeds, raw cashews) other than dried cranberry? I love the slight sweetness factor, but the dried cranberrys are so high in carbs! please reply
    In case you are still looking for an answer; I like to add fresh blueberries and strawberries to nuts. Beef Jerky is good to if you want something more savory.

Jennifer

I think you're right. cutting out the nuts would not only cut the calories, but I forgot about the PUFA thing. So maybe some fruit or Beef Jerky. Hadn't even thought of that. Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm hoping as I go more into Primal my appettie will shrink some. Right now it baffles me how people can IF from dinner to dinner. My inital reaction is always "is that good for you" CW keeps trying to dig its heels in within my brain

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you get to a point where your body will use fat for energy instead of needing a blood sugar fix from carbs every few hours, then a 23 hour fast becomes easy. Read Mark's blog posts on the subject. There are a lot of benefits to fasting that have nothing to do with calories.