Thread: Travel help! page

JonnyH is offline Senior Member

Travel help!

I have recently switched roles in my work in the UK, which is good as I am a lot busier etc.
    But here’s my problem, my new role is going to include regular (every 2-3 months) trips to customer sites for meetings etc. I am expected to attend these, and the first trip is planned for next month, it is a 2 night away stay.
    My colleagues have said it is staying in a hotel for 2 nights, breakfast in hotel, buffet lunch put on by customer, and generally they all go out to an Indian or Chinese each evening with the customer.
    So the breakfast will probably be ok, but a buffet lunch with lots of sandwiches, sausage roll, crisps etc. not my thing!
    And then there’s the evening meal, Chinese or Indian not for me either, but I’m new to this Project and don’t want to be a party pooper and decline the meal and spend it in the hotel with a room service meal for one!

And the biggie today, my boss has asked me to go on a 10-day trip to Chile this autumn with him. I don’t have to go, but I’d love to go for the experience, but how the hell do I remain primal for that length of time in a foreign country?!
    For the UK trips I can take some nuts, coconut oil, fruit maybe as it just a few days, and a few ‘dodgy’ meals wouldn’t hurt too much, but 10 days abroad is a whole different matter.

BTW I have recently read The Paleo Answer and The Art and Science of low carb living, both great books, and have gone quiet low carb now. I feel a 10-day trip abroad would be almost impossible to keep to a low carb diet without starving myself.

Any ideas from anyone who regular travels for work etc? Are there any good links with tips, ideas to help in this situation?

Thanks

vtphoenix is offline Member
    For the 10 day trip, if you know where you'll be enough in advance, you can do a little research on places and customary meals. Then you can work toward planning to keep it as primal as possible. Personally, I would work in some of the local foods, just to make it a true experience. You'd be amazed at how well you can keep fairly primal in 2nd and 3rd world countries. They don't have the same crap in their food that we do, and you can bet they cook it in butter and animal fat. Just avoid the breads and noodles (the typical 'grain' foods).

JonnyH is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by vtphoenix View Post
    For the 10 day trip, if you know where you'll be enough in advance, you can do a little research on places and customary meals. Then you can work toward planning to keep it as primal as possible. Personally, I would work in some of the local foods, just to make it a true experience. You'd be amazed at how well you can keep fairly primal in 2nd and 3rd world countries. They don't have the same crap in their food that we do, and you can bet they cook it in butter and animal fat. Just avoid the breads and noodles (the typical 'grain' foods).
    Thanks for quick reply, good advice, will do some research.