Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength Bench Stall page

Shep1824 is offline Member

Starting Strength Bench Stall

Shop Now
    So I have stalled, deloaded, and stalled again at the same weight as before. Should I deload one more time and try again?

I am thinking of upping the weight and going for 3 or 5 sets of 3. Once I go up 10 or 15 pounds, I will go back to the 3 sets of 5 at the stalled weight to see if that will break the plateau. Does anybody have any thoughts?

Every other lift is going up so I don't think it is a diet or sleep thing. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Justin

CE402 is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried microloading?

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    +1 to microloading but you might need to deload again. If you don't have microplates and don't want to spend the big bucks for them get large (2") washers. I bought 8 for $10. They work out to about 300g each so a pair is 600g which is about 1.3lbs.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

I have not tried microloading. I was adding 5 lbs each workout. I will look into the washers. Thanks

mwraydc is offline Junior Member
    If you do deload again. I found it helpful to do as many reps as I could in the final set of three (rather than just 5). Then when I got back up to my previous stall weight it went right up for 3 sets of 5. Then continue as normal from there.

Okay great, will do. Is 10% deload the norm? For example, I am stuck at 195, I should deload down to 175?

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Sometimes just going ahead and upping the weight works. Really could just be a mental block that you gotta get through.

Proportionately would the bench not be activating a smaller portion of muscle mass vs. most your other lifts? The way I look at it this would be why you could stall on the bench before you do on the other lifts.

Makes sense to me. I was thinking it was mental block.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    +1 on microloading.

other random thoughts (in no particular order): what is your lifting experience? what is your food intake like? where are you at in terms of body composition? i mean, are you super lean, are you in the process of losing lots of weight, etc? all of those things could play a role in this stall

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    +1 on microloading.

other random thoughts (in no particular order): what is your lifting experience? what is your food intake like? where are you at in terms of body composition? i mean, are you super lean, are you in the process of losing lots of weight, etc? all of those things could play a role in this stall
    I am about 3 months in to the program. Before that, I did bodyweight stuff for about 9 months. Haven't really lifted since high school so it has been about 8 years.

I don't track my food intake but I would say I get about 2,000 calories on rest days and closer to 2,500 to 3,000 on workout days.

I am not super lean. I have lost 70 pounds but could probably still lose about 20 more to be lean. I haven't lost any weight since starting this lifting program and I have been fine with that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast