Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do pullup bars hurt the door? page

sbhikes is online now Senior Member

Do pullup bars hurt the door?

I am considering getting a pullup bar. They have them for about $40 at Big 5 and they appear to just slip in and wedge themselves into the door frame somehow to stay up. I'm not sure of two things:

1) Will it cause damage to the wall above the door, the moulding, or the rest of the wall/door frame?

2) Does the door frame require moulding around it to work?

Alternatively, is there something else I could use for pullups, especially something that is low so I can get a good start. I can't even do one pullup. I suppose maybe I could walk a mile to the elementary school but maybe there's something I'm not considering that will work closer to home?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    those door frame pull up bars don't cause any damage. i've used one at over 250 lbs., and i've used them where i get air and catch myself on the bar on the way down. they are remarkably sturdy, and won't cause any more damage than maybe a little scratched paint (throw up a little painters tape if you're worried about that).
    the kind i'm thinking of do require some molding around the door frame to work. even though all the pressure is on the wall, the frame holds it in place. the only downside to that kind of pull up bar is that they won't work with all doors. any doorway too wide or with bigger molding won't fit. in those cases, you can get an installable bar that screws into the door frame for around the same price at most sporting good stores.

katemary is offline Senior Member
    good question. I have wondered how the physics work on these..so the type you do screw in just force against the sides are ok?

Shep1824 is offline Member
    No damage to my door and I used it for over a year, beginning at over 250 lbs as well. You do need trim around the door, the top trim is what keeps the pullup bar in position.

vtphoenix is offline Member
    I use a pull-up system that uses bands on the door. The only reason I don't have a bar is because the ceiling is too low to be able to do a pull-up without putting my head through it. It's a decent start, too, with the right bands.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I am considering getting a pullup bar. They have them for about $40 at Big 5 and they appear to just slip in and wedge themselves into the door frame somehow to stay up. I'm not sure of two things:

1) Will it cause damage to the wall above the door, the moulding, or the rest of the wall/door frame?

2) Does the door frame require moulding around it to work?

Alternatively, is there something else I could use for pullups, especially something that is low so I can get a good start. I can't even do one pullup. I suppose maybe I could walk a mile to the elementary school but maybe there's something I'm not considering that will work closer to home?
    1) It will damage the molding if you have cheap molding. I weigh <140# and I've practically ripped molding off the frame with those.

2) Yes. That's what the top actually rests on.

I have changed to the one that actually screws into the door frame. I find it way more sturdy. Here's a similar one. Takes <10 minutes to install if you have a cordless drill.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Tell me more about these bands.

Is it something like this? How does it attach to the door?
    Pull Up Bands | Bands for Assisted Pull Ups | Rubberbanditz.com

Or like this with handles?
    Amazon.com: Spri Xertube Resistance Cord with Door Attachment: Sports & Outdoors

If I ruin the door I will never hear the end of it. And since I can't do any pullups anyway, I suppose this might be a better place to start. Trouble is, I can't see how you could do a pullup with the bands with the door closed and I can't picture how they would work with the door open.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Tashimojo is offline Junior Member
    My landlord had a fit when he saw my pullup bar, claimed that he's had more doors damaged by them than anything else in his 30+ years of renting properties. I have been using it for about 6 months and there's no damage at all, not even cosmetic. It's the type that needs the door to have moulding. I have continued to use it, I just make sure it's tucked away when the landlord comes over!

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    The plasterboard over the door in my kitchen got cracked fron using one, but I was swinging on it like a big fat monkey. The door moulding need to be fairly sturdy too, not cheap ass 1" strip wood pinned to the wall with the tiniest pins you can find, like some shoddy 1970's uk build
    So solid walls and decent build quality and you'll be fine.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

TLoRu is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The only issue we had was that it turned our white crown molding black.... I guess from the pressure and constant rubbing. Completely worth it though!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast