Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do pullup bars hurt the door? page 2

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    This is not sounding promising for pullup bars. On the positive side, I realized out in the back yard we have this pole thing that supports a hanging hammock chair. I can use that! Problem solved, except for the not being able to do any pullups at all, not even close.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

katemary is offline Senior Member
    I'm still stuck with this. I just bought Convict Conditioning and I really want to start pullups. The doors in my place don't have molding. I have scoured every surface of my apartment and can't see anything to hang from. Any ideas?

No parks etc in reasonable distance or safe in the dark, I am hoping someone has a crafty solution for my apartment that I haven't thought of...ta

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by katemary View Post
    I'm still stuck with this. I just bought Convict Conditioning and I really want to start pullups. The doors in my place don't have molding. I have scoured every surface of my apartment and can't see anything to hang from. Any ideas?

No parks etc in reasonable distance or safe in the dark, I am hoping someone has a crafty solution for my apartment that I haven't thought of...ta
    Do you own or rent? If you own you can do plenty, but with out actually seeing your building and knowing the construction it's hard to suggest something. But you can mount stuff to walls and celings - Hell if you can mount a massive plasma screen to the wall you can mount a pull-up bar. Of course you could just buy a free standing pull-up station http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pure-Fitness...9880258&sr=8-4 That's a UK link so probably useless - but I'm sure you can find one near you.
    Last edited by Tribal Rob; 02-03-2013 at 02:42 AM.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

I own, but I don't trust myself to work out what surfaces can hold what...or install anything, I don't even know how to use a drill.

A free standing station might be the answer, I'll do some more searching, ta.
    Last edited by katemary; 02-03-2013 at 12:49 AM.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    They work very well, but a few tips:

1.- Get the "screw-in" bars they sell on eBay: ADJUSTABLE PULL-UP CHIN-UP DOOR GYM BAR HOME EXERCISE WORKOUT TRAINING FITNESS | eBay I use that badboy. It's cheaper and more versatile (and apparently doesn't do much more harm to door-frames that the more "stable-looking" ones). It holds enough weight, too. Don't be fooled, it's a strong piece of equipment.
    2.- They CAN dent the frame a little. I have a few light marks from the first few times. Nothing serious, but visible if you look for them. To avoid this, place a thin fabric between the bar and the door.
    3.- Tighten to the max. Until you feel like you've just given your forearms a work-out.
    4.- Put them in so that, if your grip slips, it slips into "tighten direction" rather than "loosen direction". Nothing ruins a set like stopping to re-tighten a loose bar (or falling with a bar on top of you).
    5.- Don't use them just for regular pullups. Put the bar at pelvis-height and do "Australian pullups". Put it slightly too low and hang off the bar. Put it at chest-height and try and push yourself up against it... This darn thing's a multipurpose tool, ya know?!

Oh, and:
    6.- Enjoy your pullups and don't give up if you "sorta" do one or hang for a little and find yourself exhausted. The way they use muscle is weird and there are a LOT of minor muscles to build up, regardless of general or major-muscle strength.
    Last edited by Kochin; 02-03-2013 at 05:07 AM.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

SeaHorse is offline Senior Member
    I put (or rather I got my son to put) my bar in a narrow passage between the walls higher than the door frame, so we can open/close the doors without removing the bar. Its extendable and holds in place by pressing on the walls. The instruction says its ok for 110kg. I like it so high, allows me to just hang on it. I can't do pushups anyway. Maybe some time.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    I have the one that hooks on the doorframe, and yes, it does require molding. I've been using it for years, multiple times a day, and the only damage to the doorframe is a little paint discoloration. I believe strongly that I would never have gotten a pullup if I weren't reminded by its presence constantly to hop up and do negatives. I have it on my bathroom door, and every time I go through the door I made myself do a negative (now a pullup). Grease the groove works!

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    I got mine at Target for 11 dollars in the sporting goods department.

You DO have to put screws into the holders into the door frame itself, but
    that is easily rectified with spackle later.

No one has come crashing down from my pullup bar yet, and the door frame
    is 100%.

Even with my 220# husband on it and my kids playing on it constantly (SO irritating).

I've had it for 5 years.

Julie

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    I have a doorframe pull up bar. The trim was crappier than I realized. It failed in mid pull up and I landed on my ass on the floor with the bar still in my hands. So I replaced the top piece of trim with 1x4 wood with ample screws deep into the studs. Works great now, though I won't forget the plummet.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    thanks for the replies, I think I will have to find a friend's handy husband to insert a screw one into the frame.

In the meantime, I am going to practise pulling myself up on the table from sitting underneath it. My pulling up I probably mean 'raising my ass a little' but it is a start,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast