Thread: Modified pull ups?? page

aimlow is offline Senior Member

Modified pull ups??

Primal Fuel
    I'm starting P90x and am struggling with the pull ups. Can someone recommend a modified way of doing these so I can build up strength??

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    put a chair nearby to set your feet on during your p90 workouts...that will make them a little easier by taking some of your bodyweight away. try it with both feet, one foot, but be sure not to push off with your legs; you're just resting them there.

outside your workout, just do pull ups. try grease the groove, or put your bar in a place that you walk by a lot, and every time you walk by it, bang out a rep or two.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I got a rubberband from RubberBandits that goes over my bar. It has worked better for me than legs on a chair and I "feel" the exercise more. Rubberbanditz | Fitness Bands Workout for Crossfit, Pull Ups, and More... *note that I can not actually do an unassisted pull up and am only now beginning to be able to do a chin up.

vtphoenix is offline Member
    P90X actually shows a couple ways to do a modified pull-up. They have like 3 different ways to do every exercise for people just starting out to the more advanced users. (Double chair dips with leg raises?)

The one they use on the DVD is a band over the bar, either sitting or on your knees, leaning with your back straight to keep the motion as close to a normal pullup as possible.

Also, if you have a lower bar that you can use to get some Australian pull-ups in, that's a good build up to doing the full fledged ones.

inesenite is offline Senior Member
    I don't know anything about P90x but my trainer tells me to do eccentic pullups to build strength to be able to do (more) full pullups. Basically, you step/jump to the highest position and then descend very slowly and in controlled manner. He says if you can do one eccetric pullup that lasts 30 sec, you can do one full pullup.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by aimlow View Post
    I'm starting P90x and am struggling with the pull ups. Can someone recommend a modified way of doing these so I can build up strength??
    P90X, Insanity and Similar Nonsense | High Intensity Training by Drew Baye
    Arthur Jones - ArthurJonesMuseum.com - YouTube