Thread: Does anybody know what vegetable rennet is? page

Gadsie is offline Senior Member

Does anybody know what vegetable rennet is?

Primal Fuel
    It's in my goat cheese, but the word vegetable scares me (you know, vegetable oil) I can't find detailed information on google
    Billie trips balls

Spooky_Rach is offline Member
    Basically it's rennet that is suitable for vegetarians.

I found a couple of links to explain
    Welcome to the Vegetarian Cheese List Home Page
    Rennet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Anybody else?
    Billie trips balls

amberlee is offline Senior Member
    Dear Spooky_Rach, thank you for your reply and the links you have provided that probably provide all the information I need.

But everybody else reply to my thread anyway!!

**goes off to start another thread**

SteakNchop is offline Senior Member
    Vegetable rennet comes from mold. There's nothing wrong with it especially at the quantities it is used.

edit: Actually, that's another type of rennet. Whatever is in there, it really isn't a problem at such low quantities.
    Last edited by SteakNchop; 06-14-2012 at 02:47 AM.

Spooky_Rach is offline Member
    Bascially rennet used to make cheese (or most types of cheese), it usually obtained from animal sources (the stomach of calves to be precise) but there are other ways of making it. One of these ways is to make it from plants such as nettles, thistles, ground ivy or from phytic acid from unfermented soybeans, or genetically modified (GM) soy rennet may also be used.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    ... erm ... okay to stick my head over the parapet?

From Wiki: "Vegetable rennet
    Many plants have coagulating properties. Homer suggests in the Iliad that the Greeks used an extract of fig juice to coagulate milk. Other examples include dried caper leaves, nettles, thistles, mallow, and Ground Ivy (Creeping Charlie). Enzymes from thistle or cynara are used in some traditional cheese production in the Mediterranean. Phytic acid, derived from unfermented soybeans, or genetically modified (GM) soy rennet may also be used. These real vegetable rennets are also suitable for vegetarians. Vegetable rennet might be used in the production of kosher and halal cheeses but nearly all kosher cheeses are produced with either microbial rennet or genetically modified rennet. Worldwide, there is no industrial production for vegetable rennet. Commercial so-called vegetable rennets usually contain rennet from the mold mucor miehei."

... "Microbial rennet
    Some molds such as rhizomucor miehei are able to produce proteolytic enzymes. These molds are produced in a fermenter and then specially concentrated and purified to avoid contamination with unpleasant byproducts of the mold growth. At the present state of scientific research, governmental food safety organizations such as the European Food Safety Authority deny QPS (Qualified Presumption of Safety) status to enzymes produced especially by these molds. The flavor and taste of cheeses produced with microbial rennets tend towards some bitterness, especially after longer maturation periods. These so-called "microbial rennets" are suitable for vegetarians, provided no animal-based alimentation was used during the production."

Rennet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Personally, I'd rather a complex of enzymes from a mammalian stomach ...

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    1. It doesn't exactly tell what it is.
    It says exactly what it is in the section titled "Vegetable rennet"

If you ask a question and you are given responses or links please read them before asking for more links.
    Last edited by Dirlot; 06-15-2012 at 07:05 AM.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!