Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mercury fillings?? page 3

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyAl View Post
    If the mercury in fillings is so bound up why is amalgam considered a hazardous waste. I am done listenening to experts on this one. I have an ample amount of education in chemistry and hazardous waste disposal. Amalgam removed from anyone's mouth is considered a hazardous waste and is to be handled as such. This says to me that the mercury does have the opportunity to leech from this "bound up" state (what an amazingly untechnical term).

A proper stable atomic bond is something like table salt (NaCl). While chloride is toxic in its pure state table salt is inert and noreactive. Chlroine when disposed of is considered a hazardous waste but table salt is not. Why then are amalgams treated as hazardous waste? This is the question that bothers me.

Chlorella is actually a very poor chelater as it only has one sulfide group to bond with toxic metals. DMPS and LA are far beeter as they have 2 sulfide groups that provide a far stronger bond to carry heavy metals out of the body.

The quackwatch article also stated that the amalgams placed in the animals was done without a rubber dam. If that is so important then I am pissed because no dentist has ever used a rubber dam on me when putting in my amalgams or last year when I had a cap put on a tooth with an amalgam. Clearly a dam is important to keep mercury from being ingested and elevating mercury levels in the body.

All the inconsistancies are what irritate me the most.
    Your dentist was definitely being sloppy and I would find another one.

Also the potential for exposure is greater in animals that graze and/or chew their cud constantly. A lot more grinding on the teeth. That's why animal data is not really accurate re people.

An amalgam is somewhere in between a stable atomic level bond and the cake mix analogy. It is bound up when in your tooth. The reason it is considered hazardous waste is that, out of your tooth and exposed to all the other chemical agents that could be in a land fill, the amalgam bonds could break down, allowing the mercury out.

I don't see anything inconsistent about it. Just a bunch of people being sold dental work they probably don't need based on hype and fear.

GeorgiaPeach is offline Senior Member
    For those of you with older amalgam fillings, at least get them checked out by a dentist. They do decay.
    Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    If my dentist didn't use the white stuff, I would look like Richard Kiel in those James Bond flicks.

I, too, have worried about this. I don't have the definitive answer, but I do know for a fact that older ones eventually need to be replaced, so while you are on the fence, if your dentist says one has to go, replace it with the white stuff and at least you are one down. And maybe get one more done if you have the money - they'll go quicker that way.

I decided not to lose sleep about this, as the old ones were/are failing at a decent clip now and I only have a couple left.

I asked my kids' dentist about this, and he said not to worry (although the kids have almost zero cavities, so no big worries there).

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I have amazing energy after getting my amalgam fillings replaced just over two years ago.

Last visit to my dentist ... the nurse recoiled in shock at how much healthier and younger I looked.

I have high histamine which interferes with the body's ability to detox mercury and also causes me to produce excess saliva which protects my teeth, in addition to eating a low sugar diet. The private dentist who replaced my mercury fillings said I never needed any of those mercury fillings in the first place and that my teeth are as good as new apart from the fact that some bastard drilled for cash back when I was in my teens.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    The private dentist who replaced my mercury fillings said I never needed any of those mercury fillings in the first place and that my teeth are as good as new apart from the fact that some bastard drilled for cash back when I was in my teens.
    That happened to me, too. Bastard is a mild term. My family was on welfare for quite a while (Mom worked her ass off and got off it years ago, but yeah, we were honestly grateful it was there while we used it...), and the local dentist who treated me as a middle-schooler (and who accepted the government poor-people medical card) did the same thing. If I could, I wouldn't sue for compensation - I think drilling and filling the same unnecessary fillings would be good...

PeacefulWarrior is offline Senior Member
    Anyone using Quackwatch as a source of information is being seriously duped by an organization that is merely a shill for Big Pharma (see Steven Barretts ties to the AMA, FDA and FTC).

If that is the type of science you are looking for, just go straight to the CDC website, or to Merck, or any other Pharma corp website.

Look up what they think of a paleo diet, or anything that is not part of a CW mentality. They are anti everything that is not 100% CW.
    How in the world would people that frequent this site use that as a legit source of info. Maybe the people that are in fact not primal, but just need a place to post thoughts?

Here is your Quackwatch leader:
    Dr. Stephen Barrett of Quackwatch Exposed In Court Cases, critic of lyme disease doctors and diagnosis

Hmmmm....sounds like a great guy to be trusting for my info on health.
    Last edited by PeacefulWarrior; 06-17-2012 at 09:39 AM.
    "Your actions speak to me so loud, I can not hear a single word you are saying."

PeacefulWarrior is offline Senior Member
    Here is Steven Barrett, Quackwatch leader extraordinaire:
    Dr. Stephen Barrett of Quackwatch Exposed In Court Cases

At trial, under a heated cross-examination by Negrete, Barrett conceded that he was not a Medical Board Certified psychiatrist because he had failed the certification exam.

This was a major revelation since Barrett had provided supposed expert testimony as a psychiatrist and had testified in numerous court cases. Barrett also had said that he was a legal expert even though he had no formal legal training.

The most damning testimony before the jury, under the intense cross-examination by Negrete, was that Barrett had filed similar defamation lawsuits against almost 40 people across the country within the past few years and had not won one single one at trial.

During the course of his examination, Barrett also had to concede his ties to the AMA, Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and Food & Drug Administration (FDA).
    "Your actions speak to me so loud, I can not hear a single word you are saying."

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    That happened to me, too. Bastard is a mild term. My family was on welfare for quite a while (Mom worked her ass off and got off it years ago, but yeah, we were honestly grateful it was there while we used it...), and the local dentist who treated me as a middle-schooler (and who accepted the government poor-people medical card) did the same thing. If I could, I wouldn't sue for compensation - I think drilling and filling the same unnecessary fillings would be good...
    Ha ha! Agreed. The dentist who abused my teeth is one of the most miserable people I have ever met. Looking back I can hear the deceit in his voice when he told me I needed another couple of fillings. He put in a grand total of 7, all very shallow with a very large surface area.

At least the fillings were easy to get replaced, and the private dentist I consulted is a really good guy. They were replaced in 3 sessions placed a month apart, with a rubber dam. Total cost was about 420.

Within 6 months the swelling in my hands and feet had gone down and I was down a shoe size. As soon as the last fillings went I no longer had an attack of cattarh every time I used a phone. Also, my blood pressure gradually went up to a normal level as I lost weight. And I no longer felt cold all the time during the winter.

Mercury poisoning is easy to dismiss for the lucky majority who claim to be perfectly healthy with a mouthful of the stuff.

The other problem with mercury fillings is that they can cause teeth to crack when they are deep.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Within 6 months the swelling in my hands and feet had gone down and I was down a shoe size. As soon as the last fillings went I no longer had an attack of cattarh every time I used a phone. Also, my blood pressure gradually went up to a normal level as I lost weight. And I no longer felt cold all the time during the winter.
    I am glad you are feeling better!!

Rattybag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    At least the fillings were easy to get replaced, and the private dentist I consulted is a really good guy. They were replaced in 3 sessions placed a month apart, with a rubber dam. Total cost was about 420.

Can I ask how long ago this was? Sounds quite a good price to me!
    I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast