Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Crying my eyes out page 6

kam904s is offline Member

Shop Now

We were super worried about SIDs too. We weren't planning on co-sleeping persay, we just bought a pack-n-play and were going to let him sleep beside the bed in it... and then it turns out my kid REFUSES to sleep anywhere but 1) on Mommy, face-down or 2) the swing while it's going full-speed with white noise blaring (THANK YOU Happiest Baby book!).

So regarding the co-sleeping, I wouldn't worry too much. Side-lying feeding is awesome and the first time you try it you're worried you'll roll over on the baby but you don't. You sleep fitfully at first but then you develop this sleeping 6th-sense about where the baby is and the worry starts to drop away.

Seriously, if I couldn't nurse while lying down I wouldn't ever sleep. My husband and I are WORLDS better rested than most of the other new parent we know because I nurse on my side so we all sleep and we do the 9-2 & 2-9 shifts. (IE I pump a couple bottles during the day and get to sleep from 9pm to 2am while he takes the baby, then I take over at 2 am and he sleeps until 9.) It's AWESOME. So I wouldn't worry about "tackling" the co-sleeping issue. After a week of staggering to the crib to care for the baby the kiddo will be brought into the bed with a little concern but an eye towards practicality in the end.

One last little thing on sleep now that I'm on a roll. I go outside every chance I get because he sleeps SO MUCH BETTER on days we go for a walk.

I still haven't transitioned to the cloth diapers yet. *sigh* We have them but I hate wasting money and/or gifts and due to the c-section I ended up with well-meaning family members sending bulk packages of disposables. We're still working through them!

Finally - FIVE YEARS?! O_O Holy friholes Batman! I've never met anyone who was BF'd for that long before. That's amazing!

maba is offline Senior Member

LOL kam! That's what my mom says but I remember things from when I was 5 and I don't remember being BFed, but she insists I was BFed till 5!! Maybe it was done to comfort me when I had a booboo or something, not something she did everyday.

In other news, we decided to go with the midwife

Annika is offline Senior Member

YAY maba! I'm so happy your hubby came around!

My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Yay!

hippie_mama is offline Member

My dad's mom turned up her nose when i nursed my babies and said, "When i was young, only POOR women nursed their babies." I just smiled, because i already knew that my mom's mom breastfed her twins, because she *was* very poor (even though her doc told her it was impossible--because, you know, women aren't made to nurse two babies, nevermind that they have a *set* of breasts? lol). I probably don't even need to mention how much healthier my mom and her sisters are, well into their 40s, than my dad and his sister are.

slesca is offline Senior Member
    Rural midwest; just outside a mid-sized city

Breastfeeding causes all sorts of (mostly small) reactions from the people in my life. My mom is 100% supportive. My MIL thinks it's something that is best kept to private rooms and only to the first few months of life. She sees it as a necessary evil that has health benefits, like how she forces herself to eat 10 almonds everyday. My friends all are somewhere on the scale of squeamish to totally cool. I tend to be a boisterous person who does what I want and puts it out there, so I guess I've put a lot of people in situations where they can react.

Mostly I think it's funny that BOOBS are such a big deal. One of my more squeamish friends mentioned that she found the perfect baby gift for me- a nursing cover! I laughed and told her that's what the baby's head is for.

Anyway, I'm saying all this to add to the point that the world has all kinds of ideas about breastfeeding and while it's mostly tolerated it is still not really "supported" in my experience.

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member

hehehe.....I BF my younger son until he was about 3 years old. Our code word for nursing was "Ta", as in "I want Ta."

One day, we were rocking in our rocking chair, and he had finished nursing, and he looked up at me with milk dribbling out of the corner of his mouth, and said, "Mommy, TA: Tee-Ay spells Ta." I just laughed and said, "Honey, if you can spell it, you are done!" A short time later, he was done, but man, that was funny.

Sooze

hippie_mama is offline Member

lol, cute story Sooze!

When i had my first baby, i tried to be very sensitive to other peoples' comfort levels. But one day i was nursing my baby in a hot car, WITH a blanket covering us both, and some old woman STILL gave me a dirty look when she walked by, so i decided i was finished playing nice. When i had my second baby, i found a private place only if it was convenient and clean (an empty fitting room, for example), and by the time i had my third, i just did my thing in front of everyone. It got a few strange looks, but mostly people are just like "Ok...that's...interesting..."

The goal is to BF exclusively for a minimum of a year and just sort of wait and see when he's ready to wean.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456