Thread: Pawnee page

Lewis is offline Senior Member

Pawnee

Primal Fuel
    Here's an image of two Pawnee Scouts, La-Roo-Rut-Ka-Haw La-Shar (Night Chief) and La-Roo-Ra-Shar-Roo-Cosh (A Man That Left His Enemy Lying in the Water):

CDV of <i>La-roo-rut-ka-haw La-shar</i> (Night Chief) and <i>La-roo-ra-shar-roo-cosh</i> (Man That Left His Enemy Lying in the Water), Pawnee, - Cowan's Auctions

More textual information at the bottom, if you scroll down.

Here's a rather clearer print someone's put-on flicker:

Pawnee Scouts | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

If these men were working for the U.S. Army they would have been getting some flour, sugar, and coffee, but they've obviously not run to fat!

This is what someone capable of killing large game with a stone projectile point, of covering the vast distances on the Plains on horseback (and sometimes on foot), and of making himself comfortable with a modicum of clothing and shelter in temperatures that caused white men to get frostbite looks like. As a reminder of how violent life on the Plains could be -- in 1873, while Pawnee men were hunting buffalo in the Republican valley, some Sioux caught a moving column of their unprotected women and children and killed 150 of them. So here's something else one had to ready for living in that environment: sudden and bloody combat with hand-to-hand weapons. (The U.S. Government was, of course, able to use a policy of divide et impera to exploit the enmities of North American Indian tribes.)

George Bird Grinnell's account of Frank and Luther North and the Pawnee Battalion has much interesting contemporary information. Grinnell himself writes of having seen a Pawnee shoot an arrow clean through a buffalo. The distances these men were able to run are also remarkable. Sure, long-distance running is not a healthy thing for anyone to do, but it's interesting that people living this life could do it when the need was there. Interestingly, they seem to have done it on little water, too, something that's not recommended these days and that most people would probably do well not to try. There's an account of a foot-race between two Pawnee and the one who loses seems to have lost because he drank too much water, thereby making himself sick; the other only took a mouthful or two and used the rest to cool his head.

Amazon.com: Two Great Scouts and Their Pawnee Battalion: The Experiences of Frank J. North and Luther H. North, Pioneers in the Great West, 1856-1882, and Their D (Bison Book) (9780803257757): George Bird Grinnell, James T. King: Books

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    sum tuff mofos there.

looks like an interesting book. I've been interested in the unsettled American Indians ever since i read that book on the Texas Indians (comanche, apache) who kidnapped white frontier kids who became "white indians". Those Indians were really tough!

Lewis is offline Senior Member

YES! it's a really good book. I highly recommend. The author writes it in a personal tone (he started the research b/c he had a distant relative who had actually been kidnapped, then returned to live as a white person but eventually ended up living as a hermit in a cave in Central TX). The book as a lot of contemporary accounts of white frontier kids basically becoming Indians.

It seems that a good many of the captured probably lived somewhat happily as Indians and didn't try to escape; it seemed that esp for boys, it was a lot more fun to be a comanche brave than working 7 days a week on a scrabbly farm. Even for girls, it seemed like good fun. however, it seems to me that there's a bit of stockholm syndrome b/c some of those contemporary accounts describe how their relatives were massacred when they were taken. Somehow they kinda forget that, i guess it's because it's so traumatic? Anyway, none of the returned white indians would ever entertain a negative word toward indians.

The only reason there is all of a sudden a slew of "white indians" returned to white world in 1870's is b/c the comanche & apache were finally rounded up and forced to live on oklahoma reservations then. The white indians were mostly returned to their families, with varying results. Some did not do too well in white world.

One white indian went to the reservation with his Indian father. I thought that was interesting.

I thought it was a very good book. I got some other one, i think you recommended it, with a bunch of contemporary accounts of capture from colonial days to late 19th century. That was pretty good too.

I also thought the tx book was interesting b/c i know some of those places that are described and they are very different to me now when i picture a band of plains indians riding up!