Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The only primal person in my household/RANT page 2

Primal-JoJo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Great suggestions above! This is definitely an issue this time of year as some of us who are students find ourselves in less than ideal circumstances, and old habits die hard. Living alone and controlling your food makes primal a whole lot easier. I'm struggling with similar issues as I'm staying at my parents' place this month. Feel free to msg me or pop by my journal, if you need some support. We can get through this!!
    Primal: Because I like to have my steak, and eat it too

Current Primal Journal
    My Old Primal Journal - Surviving my summer away from home
    Food blog: Sex or Chocolate: I choose STEAK!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Theresa92 View Post
    The stupid things about my binges are that I'll only want to binge on carbs. That's how I know that my binges are not actual hunger. Instead, I'm thinking that it is mostly just a psychological thing. Like you said, I should be focusing on what I can eat, not should eat. Also, maybe my urges to eat more carbs are a sign that I am depriving myself of carbs? I have been eating mostly meat, eggs, and fat(olive oil, avocado, bacon grease, etc). I have barely been eating any vegetables. I just realized that this is probably my body's way of saying it wants more carbs(healthy ones), not the bad ones that I have been reaching for.

Thanks again everyone for the advice. I feel much better.
    As other people have said, eat more vegetables. They are awesome.

And also, carbs are not bad. Just avoid cereals and sugar.

DashFire is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Theresa92 View Post
    Also, you mentioned a journal. How do I keep one on MDA? I'm pretty new, so idk how it works!
    It's really just a thread that you start and update. Look around the Primal Blueprint Journals Forum to see how others are using them and read How to Use the Primal Blueprint Journals Forum" to get started. Some are more comprehensive than others, but at minimum would recommend listing each day what you're eating for meals and what you're snacking on. You can see mine here. I've tweaked the format a couple times to include more info and hopefully make it easier to read. Also I like including pictures. But that's just me.
    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    I would recommend not having any of the "just one bites" that are offered to you. I can't deal with "just one bite" because it usually leads to a lot of bites, more than I possibly need.

As someone who's also the only Primal eater in the family, many of the meals cooked for dinner aren't Primal. My mother is the only one that really makes an attempt to cook Primal friendly foods but my father and my brother both cook dinner just as often as her, and it's usually pasta stuff and other junk.

I've found preparing my meals ahead of time to be an effective way to dissuade myself from trying the food they have out. If I have my own Primal meal ahead of me and know it won't hurt me (unlike the other stuff on the table) I'll be fine.

As far as the binges go, if you have to binge, binge Primal (meat, veggies, bacon, eggs) but if I seem to catch myself in a binging mood if usually means one of two things; either I didn't get enough carbs my last meal or I'm stressed. When I get stressed my sweet tooth kicks in and cookies/other sweet junk look very appealing.

Best thing I've found to do, when stressed, is to go out for some exercise; whether that's a relaxing walk, an intense run, or just a game, de-stressing is helpful in order to avoid a binge in my experience.

Also, like yourself, I have family members with fast metabolisms who can eat anythings (two brothers-they got the gene, I didn't apparently) so I get that it's tough seeing your brother stuff his face with bad food and not put on a pound. But remember, in the long run, you're going to be better off more likely. His metabolism isn't always going to be that fast...it will catch up with him.

Other than that, good luck and feel free to message me if you want to talk more in depth. Remember, Primal rocks
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

cantare is offline Senior Member
    Beyond the obvious no-no's like wheat or hfcs-laden soda, the carb thing is an individual decision...the level that works for a sedentary pre-diabetic obese person with a lot to lose may not be ideal for an active young college student trying to to drop 15-20. Some "good carbs" might be fine, but I think you're right to be suspicious of any food that leads to "binging".

What's helped me most is having a clear idea of what I wanted to do, how I meant to get there, and why it would work--goal and commitment grounded in research. Which it appears you already have--congratulations on your progress! Then, a reliable, realistic, affirmative plan for dealing with cravings. Mine was (& still is): "BAS first." I made sure I always had the makings of a Big-Ass Salad ready to hand, which for me meant lots of avocados, mushrooms, almonds, tuna or bacon, & homemade EVOO/balsamic dressing in addition to greens.

The pledge I made was not "I'll never eat X again" but simply "When I'm jonesing for X, I'll have a BAS first." If I still wanted "X" afterward, I would have some and not lose any sleep over it. But more often than not, the craving went away. Early on, if people around me were eating something I liked (like pasta or tortilla chips) I'd often mix half a cup into my salad as a compromise...not ideal, but far better than making an entire meal out of it.

I've noticed that "cheats" seem to have a higher psychological cost when they're imposed from outside...which makes living with non-adherents tough. I don't think much of elaborate substitutes for SAD foods--the gluten-free birthday cakes with Splenda frosting and all that--but it is nice to have a stash of quasi-primal snacks for "emergencies". When the housemates break out the corn chips, salsa & guac it's good to have some pork rinds on hand so you aren't forced to cave in or feel like a pariah.

tanstaafl is offline Junior Member
    I respectfully disagree with some of the advice about eating primal carbs. Yes, it often isn't necessary to go low carb while eating this way but if you are experiencing binge type cravings you may have a serious problem. When I first went paleo I was thrilled to be able to eat fruit because I had been low carbbing before. I turned out fine - lost over 20 lbs. but my sister was another story. She'd eat like me and every evening would struggle with late night carb cravings. Now that she's on the reset she's been able to deal with the cravings much better.

I will look up the reset rules for you and come back. MamaGrok also did paleo for many months-and lost some weight but kept coming back to cravings that "just one bite" turned into a binge and had to do the leptin reset to finally overcome it.

Also, this is BOTH physical and psychological. I have discovered that I have to fight the psychological (I feel left out at social events or I want to "treat" myself, etc.) still even though the physical cravings have gone away. Fighting both is torture.

ok, found it. This is MamaGrok's list:
    Leptin Resistance goals:
    - Breakfast w/ 50gm of protein
    - Breakfast w/i 30m of rising
    - 5+ hrs between Breakfast and Lunch
    - 5+ hrs between Lunch and Dinner
    - finished dinner by 7:30? (what's she saying is she needs to finish at least 3.5 hours before bedtime)
    - no snacking
    - 3.5+ hrs between dinner & bedtime
    - exposure to morning temp & sun
    - darkening the house at sunset?
    - <50g carb per day, 100% primal
    - no PUFA's other than fCLO (fCLO is fermented cod liver oil-it took me awhile to figure it out)

I'd add that you are not supposed to exercise during this time and it can take between 6-8 weeks. Apparently you can overstress your muscles if you do. Jack Kruse is the guru for this stuff. If you go to his website you can find his LeptinRx post. I'm warning you though that he reads like someone who desperately needs an editor. Kind of like throwing paint at a canvas-style writing sometimes.
    Last edited by tanstaafl; 06-12-2012 at 04:09 PM.

DashFire is offline Senior Member
    It tried to post a reply earlier about the primal journal, but some reason it was flagged for moderation and still hasn't shown. If you check out the forum for Primal Journals, there is a thread that details how to get started. Also just check out others journals. People tweak them in different ways. The main key though is to consistently share and detail what you're eating. How you're doing.
    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    One thing that I did that has really helped curb my carb binges is to not eat ANY carbs until dinner. Maybe a small portion of like veggies at lunch, but otherwise breakfast and lunch (if I have lunch) are 100% protein only.

Breakfast:
    sausage links
    eggs

Lunch:
    pkg Hormel Natural Choice turkey breast (nitrate/nitrite free)
    1/2 green pepper
    almonds for fat

Dinner:
    steak
    veggies
    sweet potato occasionally but not often.

If I don't eat a lot of carbs during the day, I don't have time to crave them before it's too late to eat (I also prefer not to eat 3 hours before bed). This has SIGNIFICANTLY assisted with my carb binges.

Also, you could try a Whole30 (whole30). It's 30 days of strict paleo to help break sugar addictions and jump start a paleo lifestyle. I think it has helped to reset my leptin, so it's kind of like 2 programs in one.
    Last edited by jenn26point2; 06-15-2012 at 09:22 AM.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12