Thread: Am I Getting Enough Slow Movement? page

Tashimojo is offline Junior Member

Question Am I Getting Enough Slow Movement?

Shop Now
    So I've been primal since last September, and have seen great results so far. When I started being primal I was working at a grocery and was on my feet pretty much all day, walking around, doing occasional and random heavy lifting in addition to two short heavy lifting workouts a week. It was perfect!

Now I work at a call center though. I'm in a cubicle for 8 hours, with two 15 minute breaks and a lunch break. I stand in my cube for most of the day and walk around during my two short breaks. I was biking 8 miles each way to work 3 of the 5 days I work, but then around Memorial Day the path I was using started charging me $6 every day I used the trail. Unfortunately I can't afford that, so now I'm only biking once a week. Even if I could still bike three times a week, is doing that much biking and so little walking primal? Also, I like to tell myself that riding my heavy cruiser is more primal than using some featherweight street bike, cause I can keep my back straight and I have to work harder... am I kiddin myself?

mike_h is offline Senior Member
    The $6 charge sucks. Is the path public (i.e. government owned)?
    I think the riding certainly counts. You probably should work more outside of work hours now that your rides are down to once a week.

Also, I think standing for long periods is not ideal either. Better than sitting though. It's the variety and movement which is best. So if you're currently standing for all 8 hours you may want to sit for some of them.

Thanks for the feedback! I do sit for periods at work, I can't just stand in pretty much one spot for 8 hours 5 days a week! And I sit during my lunch breaks, I just am not comfortable eating while standing.

The bike bath I use goes by a city owned reservoir, and they charge me to bike through as if I'm spending the day there. During non-peak times of the season they don't charge bikes. I've explained to them that I am not visiting the res, just passing through, but they insist that I pay regardless. It's ridiculous. My job offers a commuter pass for taking the bus, and I tried seeing if I could get something like that for this fee but no luck. I could take an alternate route that is basically along the side of a busy highway, but I'd rather not be breathing in all that exhaust and putting my life in the hands of a bunch of rushing commuters in their giant SUVs...

I will just need to spend a bit more time walking around before or after work. I do enjoy hikes, though I usually reserve them for my days off. I guess I'll use this as an excuse to do more!

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tashimojo View Post
    Thanks for the feedback! I do sit for periods at work, I can't just stand in pretty much one spot for 8 hours 5 days a week! And I sit during my lunch breaks, I just am not comfortable eating while standing.

The bike bath I use goes by a city owned reservoir, and they charge me to bike through as if I'm spending the day there. During non-peak times of the season they don't charge bikes. I've explained to them that I am not visiting the res, just passing through, but they insist that I pay regardless. It's ridiculous. My job offers a commuter pass for taking the bus, and I tried seeing if I could get something like that for this fee but no luck. I could take an alternate route that is basically along the side of a busy highway, but I'd rather not be breathing in all that exhaust and putting my life in the hands of a bunch of rushing commuters in their giant SUVs...

I will just need to spend a bit more time walking around before or after work. I do enjoy hikes, though I usually reserve them for my days off. I guess I'll use this as an excuse to do more!
    Check for other routes- sometimes a less direct route is much safer on a bike. A former co-worker used to go about 14 miles instead of 10 miles to work, just to avoid the dangerous roads. Yes it is longer, but he never got hit doing it.

Talk to your HR department again- you are trying to be more healthy (which helps the company insurance premiums, right?) and would just like a little assistance with this. Your company might be able to negotiate a "weekday only" pass for the reservoir, which would probably keep them from freaking out about potential lost money during the weekend.

You may be able to talk to management at the reservoir as well, in the same vein, or call a city council member.

McconnellSilva is offline Junior Member
    I think standing for long periods is not ideal either.

Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    Check for other routes- sometimes a less direct route is much safer on a bike. A former co-worker used to go about 14 miles instead of 10 miles to work, just to avoid the dangerous roads. Yes it is longer, but he never got hit doing it.

Talk to your HR department again- you are trying to be more healthy (which helps the company insurance premiums, right?) and would just like a little assistance with this. Your company might be able to negotiate a "weekday only" pass for the reservoir, which would probably keep them from freaking out about potential lost money during the weekend.

You may be able to talk to management at the reservoir as well, in the same vein, or call a city council member.
    Thanks for the input.

I have talked to everyone except a city council member, so that will be my next step! And the bike path that takes me through the res is the less direct route... the more direct route is the one that takes me along the highway. There are other ways to get there but they are ridiculously roundabout, as is I take from 30 to 45 minutes doing the 8 miles and I don't really want to bike so bad as to make that commute close to 2 hours each way.