Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tabata Intervals without cycling page 2

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    For those interested this is the original research abstract that we are basing this on:

"This study consists of two training experiments using a mechanically braked cycle ergometer. First, the effect of 6 wk of moderate-intensity endurance training (intensity: 70% of maximal oxygen uptake (VO2max), 60 min.d-1, 5 d.wk-1) on the anaerobic capacity (the maximal accumulated oxygen deficit) and VO2max was evaluated. After the training, the anaerobic capacity did not increase significantly (P > 0.10), while VO2max increased from 53 +/- 5 ml.kg-1 min-1 to 58 +/- 3 ml.kg-1.min-1 (P < 0.01) (mean +/- SD). Second, to quantify the effect of high-intensity intermittent training on energy release, seven subjects performed an intermittent training exercise 5 d.wk-1 for 6 wk. The exhaustive intermittent training consisted of seven to eight sets of 20-s exercise at an intensity of about 170% of VO2max with a 10-s rest between each bout. After the training period, VO2max increased by 7 ml.kg-1.min-1, while the anaerobic capacity increased by 28%. In conclusion, this study showed that moderate-intensity aerobic training that improves the maximal aerobic power does not change anaerobic capacity and that adequate high-intensity intermittent training may improve both anaerobic and aerobic energy supplying systems significantly, probably through imposing intensive stimuli on both systems."

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    I'll try it on the bike. I just can't get more than 13 swings off in 20 seconds with a 35lb kettle bell. I could go lighter and get a few more swings. The gym doesn't have a heavier KB. It has been great for my shoulders and low back. I'm breathing hard and sweating but i recover quick from them. I went right into ATG squats after doing 10 sets with the kettle bell 20 seconds work, 10 seconds rest. I do sprints tomorrow and I could try them with running. I usually do 200 meters then a slow jog back 200 meters to recover before sprinting again. I think it's rewarding enough to keep working with it until I feel the right amount of afterglow.

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    Did a 10 interval set over 5 minutes on the stationary bike after lifing weights this evening. The 5 minutes definitely went by faster and the legs were burning afterwards. Think I will keep playing with it after lift sessions to see how it adds to fitness.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12