Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paleo comes in last page 2

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    But, but, but...Paleo can't be good because it encourages you to avoid nutritionally void toxins like grains.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeach View Post
    What is this based on? I just can't understand where they get nutritional deficiencies (hello leafy green veggies). And the only real complaint I see here is that it's too hard to stick to... Which is a really weak argument against this "diet" as they inaccurately call it.

Paleo Diet Reviews - US News Best Diets
    Just read the description under "Safety":

Experts worried about dieters missing out on key nutrients on the Paleo diet, given that it shirks entire food groups. Its rating of just over 2 stars classifies it as "somewhat unsafe." It was among the poorest performers in this category.

So, essentially, "experts" are worried about nutritional deficiencies on a whole foods diet. Do you see the meaning behind that statement? That's jargon for "How are you going to get vitamins without hearthealthywholegrains?"

That's all that means - since it eliminates whole grains, it must be unhealthy. Nevermind that Paleo is the most nutritious diet possible, since we aren't eating grains we'll die of starvation.

That alone is enough to disregard the entire page.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    since it eliminates whole grains,
    That's what kills me- the SAD doesn't have whole grains it in either. It has white flour. Period. Not many people are eating quinoa and spelt and multigrain. They eat white bread with meat. Or sugar cereal. Or white pasta. People eat more Fruit Loops than grape nuts and more pizzas than whole wheat pita bread with hummus.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    That's what kills me- the SAD doesn't have whole grains it in either. It has white flour. Period. Not many people are eating quinoa and spelt and multigrain. They eat white bread with meat. Or sugar cereal. Or white pasta. People eat more Fruit Loops than grape nuts and more pizzas than whole wheat pita bread with hummus.
    Umm...Cheerios and Fruit Loops classify as a serving of hearthealthywholegrains.

Whole grains AND they're good for your heart. They say so on the cover. We won't even get into the health benefits of Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

No wonder the guy on the box is in such good shape.

These cereals all go great with pizza, America's favorite vegetable.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeach View Post
    What is this based on? I just can't understand where they get nutritional deficiencies ...
    I think -- I'm having to work hard here to figure out how their perverse minds may be working -- I think this is probably linked to the preceding sentence. That one reads: "experts couldn't get past the fact that entire food groups, like dairy and grains, are excluded on Paleo diets".

I should, then, suppose that they are thinking that no dairy means it would be hard to hit the DRI (RDA) for calcium.

But note that, of course, Prof. Cordain would dispute the level of the RDI:

Given this evolutionary clue, it is not not surprising to find that the supra normal intake of calcium that can be achieved by milk and dairy consumption may cause unexpected health problems.
    Amazon.com: The Paleo Answer: 7 Days to Lose Weight, Feel Great, Stay Young (9781118016084): Loren Cordain: Books

As for wholegrains. On paper, those would be good sources of some nutrients -- IIRC, this would include B vitamins and vitamin E (high in wheat germ).

But, again, there's a but ... Note I said "on paper". Just because something is in a food doesn't mean it is easily bioavailable. And if the downsides to these foods are great enough, what you may get from them becomes a matter of negligible importance anyway.

In short: I think they probably have reasons for the comments they make in this, and in the other, sections. But I just don't think they're digging deep enough and questioning their own orthodoxy enough. IMO, this is knee-jerk stuff from people who think they know.

I think emotion probably plays a part here, too. The Paleo Diet -- like some other approaches that are gaining popularity with the public -- at least in some respects goes against the prevailing orthodoxy. That's a challenge to the experts. They will want to punish the Paleo Diet for that. Simple crude human pride -- vainglory -- will be moving behind the objective language.

Curiously, I'm inclined to think the originators of the Paleo Diet never meant to "swim against the tide". I understood Boyd Eaton to say that the more he thought about it, the more he realized that people in the Paleolithic would have done what the current health recommendations advised people to do. Uh, uh, I don't think that's true at all. But, I think, hence Boyd Eaton's wars on saturated fat, dietary fat in general, and salt. He assumed these things were bad, because the dietary establishment said so, and therefore (but in truth non sequitur here) assumed that Paleolithic Man wouldn't have consumed them.

Actually, the dietary establishment has feet of clay like the rest of us:

http://garytaubes.com/wp-content/upl...ce-of-salt.pdf

ss14 is offline Member
    I like the first sentence of the description of the "winning" diet, the "DASH Diet" (have you ever heard of anyone being on the DASH diet?):

"You’ll stay within the government’s recommendation that 20 to 35 percent of daily calories come from total fat. As for saturated fat, you’ll stay well below the government’s 10 percent max."

If they were speaking to me, they might as well have said, "you will live up to 20 to 35 percent of your potential as a human being."

carlh is offline Senior Member
    A panel of 22 nationally recognized experts in diet, nutrition, obesity, food psychology, diabetes, and heart disease reviewed our profiles, added their own fact-finding, and rated each diet in seven categories: how easy it is to follow, its ability to produce short-term and long-term weight loss, its nutritional completeness, its safety, and its potential for preventing and managing diabetes and heart disease. We also asked the panelists to let us know about aspects of each diet they particularly liked or disliked and to weigh in with tidbits of advice that someone considering a particular diet should know.
    Here are the "experts" - they do have some impressive credentials but obviously missed the point of our way of eating.

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    "They" from the Planet "Them", tell you what is good for you, and how much of it you should eat! The government this, the government that, blah, blah, blah!!!!! Please pass the raw milk and ribeye:-) Oh, and don't forget the kale n sweet potatoes...

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Oh my god those cereal boxes are incredible. I haven't even been down that aisle in a long time.

I really liked Tom's presentation about the wisdom of the crowds. How when people struggle to follow CW and it turns out to be wrong, then try something like low carb or paleo and it turns out to work, then we start to wonder are they lying to us or just stupid, or are they actually trying to kill us? And what else are they lying to us about?

Fat Head » The ORI Speech
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    The other reason Paleo is so far down is that it does not resemble the US government's MyPlate like all the top diets do. To say Paleo is good is to say government recomendations are wrong which is not going to happen.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast